Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinfarber View Post
I am hoping someone has info. on this subject. I want to arrive in Orlando 1 day before cruise ( I had a terrible experience trying to fly in the same day as the cruise, long story short, our flight was cancelled, and we arrived at Cape Canaveral at 5:00pm, 1 and 1/2 hrs after the ship was to depart, thankfully, they held the ship for us.) I want to make sure this never happens again. I am incredibly grateful to Disney for holding the ship for us, however, we missed the entire first day on the ship. What are my options? Do I find a hotel in Orlando and use Disney transfer the day of the cruise, or, hire a car service to drive us to Cape Canaveral and find a hotel near the dock? I would appreciate any advice you have to give.
It's a super easy drive to the port from the airport. Just remember that you have to pay tolls. Basically you take 528 straight to the Port.

I would rent a car...Budget has some good one way rates and is close to the port.

Jill in CO
Old 09-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #17
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

We ALWAYS fly in at least one day before the cruise. And while I know we can go cheaper; DW and I love the 24/7 Disney experience and take the ME from airport to a WDW resort, take the DCL bus from resort to port and to the airport when the cruise is done

The night before our Panama Canal cruise on the Wonder we stayed one night at the GF, it will probably be the only time we stay there because of $$$$$. We have a cruise coming up December 2013 and have one night at AKL - Club Level. Probably the only time we'll stay club level, again because of $$$$$. They were both just one night.

We save up for our vacations before booking and always include the night/s stay at WDW and their transportation. If we have patience to save up longer we stay at a more expensive resort. If we are going through strong Disney withdrawal we stay at a less expensive resort to go sooner.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #18
glassslipper2004
DIS Veteran

We've done this two ways. The first time, we flew in the night before and stayed at the airport Hyatt. It was fine, but not cheap, and sort of cold - no Disney magic at all. You can't even tell you are in Florida. We took the Disney transport in the morning, very easy, no worries.

Second time, we flew in the day before, rented a car, and drove over to the Poly. Had a great dinner there and watched the fireworks on the beach. Super-magical, and made us all very happy. The next morning we had tonga toast by the pool, and then drove to the port and returned the rental car. The drive is quite easy, and we wanted to get on the ship as early as possible, which doesn't happen with the Disney transfers.

Good luck!
1980; 1990 - WDW - college graduation; 1993 - WDW - Grand Floridian honeymoon trip; 2003 - WDW - (offsite) first time with our girls - we celebrate DH's birthday; 2004 - WDW - Wilderness Lodge; 2006 - WDW - (offsite) and we again celebrate DH's birthday; 2006 - Disney Wonder 4-night cruise; 2007 - Disney Wonder Cruise and WDW Yacht Club -- fun at Stormalong Bay!; 2008 - Viva Italia ABD; 2009 - Disney Hollywood Studios; 2009 - Southwest Splendors ABD; 2010 - Israel; 2010 - Paris/London; 2011 - Disney Dream, Poly and Beach Club

Upcoming: August 2013 Med cruise
glassslipper2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Hyatt MCO the two nights before our cruise this summer and it was a piece of cake. The morning our cruise left, we walked downstairs without our luggage and got on the transfer bus. Easy peasy, our luggage made it to our stateroom by 3 PM that afternoon.

I know that you can stay somewhere else and then take transportation back to the airport to catch one of the first buses out to the boat, but that would have meant getting up even earlier. No thanks!

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #20
zealandsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineNJ
We are staying at a Disney value resort the night before our cruise. The room is only about $120. The transfers to Port Canaveral and back are $70 PP. I'm not too happy about that. Renting a car is probably a good way to go. I'm nervous to do it because I don't know my way around there. Does the rental car have a GPS?
Just use your phones map! I know with my old droid it talked to me and that iPhones have awesome maps too! It's a straight shot!! Super easy travels.
zealandsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #21
figment52
Oh man, I checked out the website only to discover that I am Older than Peeps!

sorry - wrong thread
figment52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #22
boogabuzz
DIS Veteran

As far as directions....easy peasy. MCO is on 528. Take 528 east til it ends. That will take you to PC. The hotels mentioned are all right there. There are several restaurants right there too. I will suggest Grillz. anyway...just wanted to put it out there not to stress over the extra expense of a GPS or stress of finding your way. Just bring quarters because 528 is a toll road. It used to only be $1.25 but they just added another toll between PC and MCO of $1.00.
boogabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #23
tgropp
DIS Veteran

The last Disney cruise we just rented a car and drove over. It is so easy as soon as you cross the bridge into PC you see the ship. We dropped our wives off and we took the car to the rental spot and they gave us a shuttle ride back. We are doing the same thing in Feb. We fly in Friday, rent a car and drive to AKL for the night and at 9:30, we leave for the cruise. There are 6 in our party so it saves a lot of money.
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #24
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinfarber View Post
I am hoping someone has info. on this subject. I want to arrive in Orlando 1 day before cruise ( I had a terrible experience trying to fly in the same day as the cruise, long story short, our flight was cancelled, and we arrived at Cape Canaveral at 5:00pm, 1 and 1/2 hrs after the ship was to depart, thankfully, they held the ship for us.) I want to make sure this never happens again. I am incredibly grateful to Disney for holding the ship for us, however, we missed the entire first day on the ship. What are my options? Do I find a hotel in Orlando and use Disney transfer the day of the cruise, or, hire a car service to drive us to Cape Canaveral and find a hotel near the dock? I would appreciate any advice you have to give.
This year we flew in the day before, rented a car at the airport, drove to Cocoa Beach and stayed at the Sheraton Four Points next door to the Ron Jon Shop. We flew home the day after the cruise (airfaire was better) and rented a car and stayed at a Marriot Courtyard near the airport.

We loved Cocoa Beach and the hotel. It worked out great! The drive between the port and the airport is very easy and we took along our GPS to help us out.

Next year we are taking a cruise over Easter and we will do something very similar, except we are flying home the same day we disembark. We will probably take a car service to the airport instead of renting a car.

Enjoy your cruise!

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #25
jwongclan
Earning My Ears

Wow, that's great!!! Thanks for the info!!!
jwongclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: