Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
PrettyP
Mouseketeer

Can anyone recommend a good Paris guide book to go along with my Brit' Guide to DLP?

Got the latest Brit Guide to DLP (even though I could probably write my own guide at this stage but hey, there's always something new to learn!) but we are going to do 2 nights in Paris this year before we head to DLP for 3 or 4 nights (money will dictate the length of stay).

I'm looking for a good guide book to Paris particularly if there's one that's family orientated with good tips of where to bring kids to eat or what sights are kid-friendly. Saw a number of guides on line but hard to know how good they are without actually flicking through them.

Thanks in advance for any help
1992: 2 day-trips from Paris city 1998: Santa Fe 2000: 1 day-trip from Paris city 2002: Sequoia Lodge 2003: Sequoia Lodge 2008: Newport Bay 2009: Hotel New York 2010: Disneyland Hotel 2012: Hotel New York 1992 trip was in summer, every trip since has been during the Christmas season!! Love it!!
PrettyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #2
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Children eat the same as adults here in France so there aren't really restaurants that are child "friendly" or more orientated outside of the chain restaurants.

They eat out from an early age so in cafés, brasseries and restaurants waiters are used to having them there and treat them like adults.

Obviously you wouldn't take a child to a really fancy restaurant as they aren't going to sit still for 3 hours or more but the every day type that you will cross all over France are great.

Have a look on the OT site for ideas on what they might like doing

http://en.parisinfo.com/shows-exhibi...with-the-kids/

I like the Top 10 guides for a short trip or the Rough Guides in the mini format

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DK-Eyewitnes...8428065&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Mini-Rou...tt_at_ep_dpt_2

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
cherrymarzipan
DIS Veteran

I found the DK Eyewitness Travel guide to Paris very useful - and I still love looking through it now remembering where I've been. It is broken down into small geographical areas, has lots of pictures and useful information about museums, sights, markets etc. and has the best pull out map of Paris I have seen.

Ii also went armed with about three pages worth of notes copied and pasted from Carrie's advice!
cherrymarzipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

I like the AA Citypack series as I like the removable map in the back cover Citypack Paris and following recommendations from other reviewers on Amazon I bought this one The Paris Mapguide which I thought really good.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
PrettyP
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much Carrie Cat, cherry marzipan & Ware Bears!! So sorry for the delay with my reply. Hadn't been on the forum for a few days and then yesterday when I was on I was all riled up by the change in terms of the Shareholder's Club

Thanks a million Carrie Cat for all your advice. You are so billiant at getting back to people with lots of advice and information. It is great to have the views of someone who lives near Paris and DLP and who knows so much about local stuff. I hope you know how much we all appreciate you here on this forum. I am going to read all the info in the OT site.

Thanks all three of you for your book suggestions. Am going to examine them all on Amazon now. I may get the city pack Ware Bears because I've had them for other cities and the maps are usually good and the map I have for Paris is probably about 10 years old now so time for an updated one! I will probably get one of the other ones you guys mentioned as well. I've been to Paris many times but there are still so many things I haven't seen and I've never been there with a child in tow before (although we did do a day trip from DLP back in 2010) so I'll be seeing it through new eyes.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it!!
1992: 2 day-trips from Paris city 1998: Santa Fe 2000: 1 day-trip from Paris city 2002: Sequoia Lodge 2003: Sequoia Lodge 2008: Newport Bay 2009: Hotel New York 2010: Disneyland Hotel 2012: Hotel New York 1992 trip was in summer, every trip since has been during the Christmas season!! Love it!!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
netimka
DIS Veteran

i bought this one for our trip in July...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Out-Par...8863210&sr=8-1

i liked the maps at the end of the book and when i got it delivered i noticed there is 3€ off per person for this sightseeing cruise...

http://www.vedettesdeparis.fr/2/en/5...ng-cruise.html

so if you planning one you will get you monies back

hth
Old 09-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
PrettyP
Mouseketeer

Thanks netimka! I'll have a look at that one aswell

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: