Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #16
Mic
They can take away my freedom but they can't take away my FOTL!

[QUOTE=Colleen27;46271902]What temp do you use for your wash cycle? When I've tried homemade detergent in the past it never seems to work well in cold water, so I revert right back to store bought.

I use warm water for most things, like the kids' jeans and my husband's work uniforms. I use hot water for towels, whites, and sheets. I use cold for sweater/delicates/cheerleading uniforms. For the items I wash in cold water, I use very little of the liquid detergent...maybe a tablespoon. If all you have is homemade powdered detergent, try dissolving it in a little warm water before pouring it into your washer. I have done that before with good results.
Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #17
pixiewings71
Sweet!!! Totally!!!!!
YAY for good weather!
It's that Disney Magic, I don't know how it works but it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
What temp do you use for your wash cycle? When I've tried homemade detergent in the past it never seems to work well in cold water, so I revert right back to store bought.

I'm going to have to try that recipe for fabric softener. I've been using diluted vinegar, which works fine for clothes that go through the dryer but isn't as good as Downy when I'm line drying, but maybe the conditioner will perk it up enough to do the trick.
I wash all my clothes in cold. I also make my own detergent but my recipe is different. I do the following~

1 bar grated Fels Neptha
1 cup washing soda (again, NOT baking soda)
1 cup Borax
Mix and use 1 Tablespoon per standard load, use more for heavily soiled loads.

I've never had a problem with it and I've been using it for about 2 years now.

We took 14 trips from July 07-July 08 and around 16 from Jan 09-Jan 10. We did 5 trips 2011-2012. 2012-2013 4 trips.

eBay and pins http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2213419
pixiewings71 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahjade View Post
What works for soap scum? I've tried several natural cleaners and they never seem to work as well as Soft scrub with bleach!
I've had great results from sprinkling some baking soda in the tub, then spraying with a vinegar/water mix (not sure of the ratio, I just eyeball it). I let it soak a few minutes, then scrub. The first time I used it I needed alot of elbow grease because I hadn't realized until I started scrubbing what a poor job my other cleaners had been doing, but the next time it was much easier.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
4GoofyCrew
Mouseketeer

Vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda and water. Seriously, I clean everything except for the toilets in our house with one/combination of those items. Check out Pinterest for great tips on using these items. Super cheap, super effective and super 'green'! (Plus non-allergenic...which is why I started using just this stuff in the first place...augh...)
01-2012 AS SPORTS Free DDP
Always dreaming about another trip!
4GoofyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #20
pugtails66
Mouseketeer

I use these in the laundry:

My mom got them for me and I was ~very~ skeptical about using them, but they work GREAT!!!! I do have to spray stains, but that's it! I do not use detergent in my laundry, just these balls. My whites are bright white and everything comes out fresh.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Super-.../dp/B002Q1MCMU
pugtails66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #21
dgthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
What temp do you use for your wash cycle? When I've tried homemade detergent in the past it never seems to work well in cold water, so I revert right back to store bought.

I'm going to have to try that recipe for fabric softener. I've been using diluted vinegar, which works fine for clothes that go through the dryer but isn't as good as Downy when I'm line drying, but maybe the conditioner will perk it up enough to do the trick.
Do you have hard water? I do, and I find that my stuff stays stiff when I line dry it. So I do use the Calgon softener liquid in my wash loads.
dgthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #22
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco View Post
Here is a great "recipe" for tub and shower cleaning:
http://www.food.com/recipe/tub-and-shower-magic-434275
Been using this cleaner for over a year now and it is amazing!!!!!!!!!
2009 Mariott Cypress Harbor
2012 AKL Villas
All thanks to my BFF!!!!!

lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #23
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like

The best one I know is the dawn/vinegar mix going around pinterest. And I only clean the oven with baking soda, it works better than anything else if you are willing to give it some time to work. I let it sit at least 2 hours and then it works great. Vinegar is a great drain cleaner and it's a good glass cleaner too.

I don't like most commercial "green" cleaners. Clorox green works is ok but I don't like it as good as dawn or lysol. I won't give up all commercial cleaners, just sub for the ones I feel work better with less chemicals (for example I hate the smell of easy off, it's awful!).

I won't use homemade laundry detergent because I've found some blog entries that it later dulls the whites or messes up the machine if it's HE. I just can't be bothered to make my own. YMMV depending on washer or water type.

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:46 AM   #24
pampam
DIS Veteran

Slightly

We bought a new stove, and when I was canning some stuff got really baked on the top. I tried everything I could think of to get it off- Mr. clean, barkeepers friend, even a copper scrubbie. I was afraid I'd scratch the top of my new stove, but I didn't want this baked on gunk on it either. I read about sprinkling baking soda on and pouring on vinegar, so I tried it. It bubbled up and started working. I let it sit for an hour, then went back and wiped it up. It did a perfect job.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: