Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
MichelinMan
I Am Speed - Ka-Chow!!!!

Gatorland and Space Centre

I am deliberating where to go on one day for our trip next year. We have never done the Space Centre or Gatorland before, and both appeal to me.

I would really love the Space Centre, as I have always been interested in space, but I have read reviews that younger kids might be bored there (my son is 8). I'm not sure whether the wife would like it either. I've done the Johnson Space Centre in Houston before, so it may well be a bit similar.

An alternative would be Gatorland - for some reason, that has always appealed to me (and we could chill out a bit more that day too - always a good thing).

Having never done either, what are peoples views of both attractions?

July 1994 : WDW Off-Site on Honeymoon
July 2009 : DLP Newport Bay Club
July 2011 : DLP Disneyland Hotel
July 2013 : WDW Polynesian Resort / Hard Rock Universal / Renaissance SeaWorld
MichelinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
pascalstongue
Mouseketeer

I love both. Gatorland is only a 1/2 day attraction IMO so when we go we tie it in with an afternoon shopping. There are a couple of shows and the gator feeding is quite fun. There are a few other animals there beside gators.
KSC is really interesting. My family is quite interested in space though (we have proper telescopes and everything). I am always amazed at how big the shuttle is, I think your 8 year old would be impressed. Thay have an Imax cinema with shows throughout the day.
Both days out are really different, only you know what you think your family would enjoy.
Both are well worth trying either on this trip or a subsequent trip!

pascalstongue is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
madmumof2
DIS Veteran

I've only been to KSC as a 10 year old and was interested for about half an hour. There's not much to do for a kid. It's like a museum and I know my kids would be bored going to a museum but some would love it so it depends if yours would enjoy a regular museum.

If they would they should enjoy it. My son loves space but I know he'd be bored to tears at KSC so even though we're at cocoa beach (right next to it) this year we won't be visiting.

Oct 2012 - 2 weeks Southern Dunes+1 night at the Hard Rock Hotel!
Oct 2009 - 2 weeks Pop Century
Jan 2000 - 2 weeks Ramada Inn International Drive
Oct/Nov 1995 - 5 weeks Lindfields Villa, Kissimmee
madmumof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

KSC has got more for kids than it used too. It is essentially a museum but there are a few other bits now.

2 3D IMAX shows
One interactive theatre type show
The shuttle launch experience

You also get entrance into the astronaut hall of fame included in the price I believe.

Due to the cancellation of the shuttle programme there are a few tours going on at the moment (extra to the entrance price) that are only running until they start doing launches again. We went on a behind the scenes tour that took us inside the vehicle assembly building and right up to the launch pad.

Their website is quite useful and gives suggested touring plans based on how long you wish to spend there and what age groups you have.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
chmurf
DIS Veteran

gatorland = fun for the younger ones

KSC is more geared towards teens, adults and young adults.
The younger ones will be fine with the rocket garden and some exhibits, but they might get bored fast.

With a 8yr old, go to KSC if he's into space, astronomy and that kind of stuff. Remember that there'll be at least 1 hour drive each way on top of everything else.
So unless your son can name all the parts in a rocket engine, gatorland is a safe bet.

You could also consider doing Wonderworks on international drive

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
chmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:21 AM   #6
steve_rob
Mine? Mine? Mine? Mine?

I've been to both KSC and Houston (but then, I'm a total space nut!) and there was a lot more for kids to do in Houston, whereas the KSC was all based around taking the tours and the IMAX movies, with just a few other attractions thrown in. Don't get me wrong, I loved KSC and it filled a whole day for me, but if your kids aren't wired like me, they might find it a little boring.

Gatorland will probably keep them occupied for half a day, but as it's a lot closer, that's not a bad thing. You can always go and play mini-golf or something afterwards (another of my favourite things to while away a couple of hours!)
Disneyland Paris - 9 (10) : Oct 2000 (Disneyland Hotel), Mar 2002 (Newport Bay), Sept 2002 (Disneyland Hotel), May 2005 (Sequoia Lodge), June 2006 (Hotel New York), Sept 2008 (Sequoia Lodge), June 2009, Nov 2010, June 2012 (Disneyland Hotel), June 2014 (Hotel New York)
Walt Disney World - 7 (8) : Oct 2001, Oct 2003, Nov 2005 (BW Movieland, International Drive), Jan 2007 (Masters Inn, I-Drive), Apr 2008 (Staybridge Suites, I-Drive), Oct 2009 (Best Western LBV), Sept 2011 (Saratoga Springs & Hilton GV Seaworld), Sept 2015 (TBD).
Tokyo Disneyland - 1 : Apr 2010 (Hotel Miracosta).
Hong Kong Disneyland - 0 : Nothing planned (yet!).
steve_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
MichelinMan
I Am Speed - Ka-Chow!!!!

Thanks for the replies - probably confirmed what I was thinking. The whole family will probably enjoy Gatorland better, and we can have some down time too, like relaxing by the pool the rest of the day.

July 1994 : WDW Off-Site on Honeymoon
July 2009 : DLP Newport Bay Club
July 2011 : DLP Disneyland Hotel
July 2013 : WDW Polynesian Resort / Hard Rock Universal / Renaissance SeaWorld
MichelinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: