Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
SarahFarra
Mouseketeer

Wedding experts help!! Dress dilemma!

Considering a beach wedding but I've always really wanted a fit and flare dress or mermaid style. Do you think this type of dress is appropriate for a beach wedding? And would I just nix the heels for the ceremony and go barefoot? Help! I've never been to a beach wedding and am not sure what to do! :-/

Engagement: 11.8.12
Wedding: 11.8.13
Marriage: Infinity and Beyond

www.markandsaraheverafter.com
www.chasingfairytales.com

PJ: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3035908
SarahFarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
nmmom95
I'm a pregnant lesbian in an interracial relationship
Or am I?

I think that any style that you like is fine. It's the fabric will make the difference. I would keep the fabric light. You could have a runner put down that will allow you to walk in heels. Your florist can help with that.

Congratulations!
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
jel0511
DIS Veteran

First off, it's your wedding, do what you want!!!! All I can tell you, is all of the beach weddings I've been to, the brides wore something floaty and all were barefoot, even us guests. You probably won't want to wear shoes, so keep that in mind when choosing a dress.....
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jel0511 View Post
First off, it's your wedding, do what you want!!!! All I can tell you, is all of the beach weddings I've been to, the brides wore something floaty and all were barefoot, even us guests. You probably won't want to wear shoes, so keep that in mind when choosing a dress.....
This has been my experience too. I got married across the street from the beach, rather than on the beach itself, because I didn't want to be quite this casual. But hey, it is your day!

Just do the groomsmen a favor and don't make them wear black tuxes like the last summer outdoor wedding I went to. Put them in tan suits or seersucker or linen or something.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #5
Swan4Me
DIS Veteran

Check out this AMAZING beach wedding in Mexico-this photographer is one of my Facebook faves...............Bride has Jimmy Choo shoes that she takes off during ceremony...but I think wears at reception

http://www.krginphotoweddingsblog.co...46965925417366
Swan4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

If you Google "beach wedding mermaid dress" or "beach wedding fit and flare dress" you get quite a few photos of dresses in a beach setting. Maybe you can get a feeling for whether that's the look you're going for.

I agree that the fabric/decoration on the dress makes more of a difference than the cut, when it comes to suitability for the beach. You don't want anything to heavy-looking. I am sure you'll have a beautiful wedding, no matter what dress style you choose.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Other things to consider about a beach wedding. Wind: don't expect to keep a nice hairdo for long. Weather: unpredictable and likely no indoor space nearby to revert to in case of rain. Parking: depending on what beach you are choosing, think about where your guests will park. Public beach: you don't know what else will be going on around your wedding.

Good luck deciding what to do. Last September I was at a the beach in NC for the day and saw two different weddings. One was set up at the top of the beach near the dunes. No seating. A lovely makeshift gazebo with floaty material and flowers was used for the ceremony, but it kept looking like it would topple over any minute in the wind. The guests wore very casual clothes. The bride had a flowy dress, the groom a shirt and pants, both barefoot. The other wedding was set up in a grassy park area with chairs for guests and was much more formal. They didn't have to deal with the wind as much since they were set back from the beach and had some trees around them.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Regardless fo the style of the dress, the fabric should be light and floaty.

Sparkly flip flops for footwear on the beach would do the trick!
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
Jeafl
Has an emergency auto hammer & knows how to use it
Collects Beta fish
Meow-y Christmas!!
Since when did 41 become middle aged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan4Me View Post
Check out this AMAZING beach wedding in Mexico-this photographer is one of my Facebook faves...............Bride has Jimmy Choo shoes that she takes off during ceremony...but I think wears at reception

http://www.krginphotoweddingsblog.co...46965925417366
Those pictures are gorgeous! I loved everything about it except the groom wearing ugly sandals with his suit. It looked really odd to me.

OP, I think you could definitely wear a mermaid dress, but like everyone else said, make it a lightweight fabric. My cousin's daughter got married on the beach in Maui and wore a heavily beaded satin gown with a long train and it just didn't look right. She was dressed super formally, and the groom wore only a white shirt and linen pants. He looked appropriate for the beach, but she was dressed more appropriately for a cathedral. Gorgeous as they were, they looked a little "off" standing next to each other.

Jeafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Jeafl
Has an emergency auto hammer & knows how to use it
Collects Beta fish
Meow-y Christmas!!
Since when did 41 become middle aged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
Other things to consider about a beach wedding. Wind: don't expect to keep a nice hairdo for long. Weather: unpredictable and likely no indoor space nearby to revert to in case of rain. Parking: depending on what beach you are choosing, think about where your guests will park. Public beach: you don't know what else will be going on around your wedding.

Good luck deciding what to do. Last September I was at a the beach in NC for the day and saw two different weddings. One was set up at the top of the beach near the dunes. No seating. A lovely makeshift gazebo with floaty material and flowers was used for the ceremony, but it kept looking like it would topple over any minute in the wind. The guests wore very casual clothes. The bride had a flowy dress, the groom a shirt and pants, both barefoot. The other wedding was set up in a grassy park area with chairs for guests and was much more formal. They didn't have to deal with the wind as much since they were set back from the beach and had some trees around them.
Very true! In some of my cousin's daughter's video and pictures they have random people running on the beach in the background, and other strangers standing there watching. I guess it depends on whether you are on a public beach or not.

Jeafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

When you say mermaid-dress, are you thinking of a long dress? Do mermaids come in short lengths?

I ask this because a long dress that's dragged through the sand is going to look messy -- no matter what type of fabric. You can't stay on that runner the whole time.

Overall, my vote is no for a mermaid. It seems "too dressy" for the beach.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
MissMet
DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blogging Addict

FYI- most florist will not put a runner down if it's windy. I had an outdoor wedding and on that day it was a little windy at set up time so the florist advised against it due to the wind. A runner won't help with heels sinking in the ground, especially sand unless they put something under the runner (astroturf usually). I chose to wear flats & so did my 8 bridesmaids & we were happy we did. Be comfy! It's a long day.

So I'd say sandals or barefoot on the beach... if your gown is altered correctly no one will even notice your feet.

Congrats!

[/CENTER]
MissMet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
suzannen
Have too many rules for my coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahFarra View Post
Considering a beach wedding but I've always really wanted a fit and flare dress or mermaid style. Do you think this type of dress is appropriate for a beach wedding? And would I just nix the heels for the ceremony and go barefoot? Help! I've never been to a beach wedding and am not sure what to do! :-/
My niece got married at the beach this spring and wore a fairly dressy, beautiful and very fitted mermaid dress. She did wear shoes walking down the boardwalk to the beach, then took them off to walk down the aisle on the beach, put them back on for the reception. The bridesmaids wore cocktail length dark turqoise sundresses. The men (including groom) all wore khaki-colored linen pants with white linen shirts. Oh, and the entire wedding party came down the aisle wearing sunglasses. It was classy and fun, all at the same time.

Edited to add: they did not have a runner, her dress was long, and wasn't dirty or destroyed at all by being on the beach. Now, if it's raining and it gets wet, then if might get dirty, which could happen at anyone's wedding.
suzannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
Jaya
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
Other things to consider about a beach wedding. Public beach: you don't know what else will be going on around your wedding.

So true. The funniest wedding photo I ever saw was of a wedding occuring on a tropical beach that had a somewhat "relaxed" dress code. In the background, right between the bride and groom, was an old man "au naturale" watching the wedding. In other pics, you could see nude people in the background, but this picture took the cake. The bride and groom stuck a little paste-on fig leaf on the guy in the picture and put the pic in their wedding album. We laughed about that one for years. As long as you're not having your wedding on a nude beach, you should be safe from everything but fat hairy guys in speedos.
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
SarahFarra
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya

So true. The funniest wedding photo I ever saw was of a wedding occuring on a tropical beach that had a somewhat "relaxed" dress code. In the background, right between the bride and groom, was an old man "au naturale" watching the wedding. In other pics, you could see nude people in the background, but this picture took the cake. The bride and groom stuck a little paste-on fig leaf on the guy in the picture and put the pic in their wedding album. We laughed about that one for years. As long as you're not having your wedding on a nude beach, you should be safe from everything but fat hairy guys in speedos.
This wouldn't be an issue as we're looking at wdw resort lake beaches

Engagement: 11.8.12
Wedding: 11.8.13
Marriage: Infinity and Beyond

www.markandsaraheverafter.com
www.chasingfairytales.com

PJ: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3035908
SarahFarra is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: