DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Has anyone ever done split stay w/DVC & another timeshare stay in the middle?

Since they are giving DVCer's discount on PAP were are going to try for a 2 week December 2013 stay in Orlando by starting a few days in our home resort BCV then a week at a trade in RCI timeshare then back into BCV. We don't have enough points to stay the whole time in BCV so we want to try and make it work. Has anyone else done this? We would be flying in from California and would like to use magical express if possible. HELP?
hjgaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
bwvBound
DVC SSR & other timeshare

Should work just fine. I assume you'll have a rental car for the RCI week in the middle?

We did the opposite once in 2004. We were in Pomano Beach on an RCI week and booked two nights at DVC Vero in the middle of our stay. It felt simply decadent to take a vacation from our vacation! (It was lots of fun!)
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus View Post
Since they are giving DVCer's discount on PAP were are going to try for a 2 week December 2013 stay in Orlando by starting a few days in our home resort BCV then a week at a trade in RCI timeshare then back into BCV. We don't have enough points to stay the whole time in BCV so we want to try and make it work. Has anyone else done this? We would be flying in from California and would like to use magical express if possible. HELP?
It should work fine. I'd suggest you try for an RCI trade into DVC though, your chances of success should be fairly good, esp if you can do with a 1 BR.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
It should work fine. I'd suggest you try for an RCI trade into DVC though, your chances of success should be fairly good, esp if you can do with a 1 BR.
Dean,
I've been on the look out for trade INTO DVC for a fews years now in particular the last 2 week of December but NO luck. I do realize this is ALMOST everyone's winter break including ours so I think we shall try another well recommended timeshare. Although thanks for the suggestion
& your quick reply!
Old 09-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
Should work just fine. I assume you'll have a rental car for the RCI week in the middle?

We did the opposite once in 2004. We were in Pomano Beach on an RCI week and booked two nights at DVC Vero in the middle of our stay. It felt simply decadent to take a vacation from our vacation! (It was lots of fun!)
bwvBound,
Yes we will be renting a car once we get there & I'm actually kinda excited to try something new I just hope we don't run into too many snags! Thanks for your quick reply!!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #6
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

done it too - it makes the offsite timeshare more fun - to have a Disney break.

the Hilton Vacation clubs are great but generally closer to Seaworld.

liked Sheraton Vistana Resort, Cypress Pointe (these have a new name), Grand Beach and bryan's spanish cove - this is an older but smaller one - very nice.

oh forgot one of the best - Wyndham Bonnet Creek - it is close to CBR and Pop.

have not tried Silver Lake resort - but it is close to AK.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
hjgaus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post

liked Sheraton Vistana Resort, Cypress Pointe (these have a new name), Grand Beach and bryan's spanish cove - this is an older but smaller one - very nice.

spiceycat,
Thanks for your recommendations on different timeshares they all sound
great! Can't wait to see what pops open in the RCI trades for December 2013!
Old 09-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #8
buckysgirl
Earning My Ears

We are doing this in January. Staying at AKL Jambo and then to our timeshare at Grand Beach and finishing up at Pop Century for one night to use Magical Express. It will work out just fine. We rent cars from Alamo or National at the Dolphin or Disney Car Care Center.

First official DVC trip: January 2009 SSR
buckysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #9
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

Time share no, but other resort yes.

It makes you thankful for DVC, and saves you a few bucks HAVE A GREAT TIME.

( We have stayed at Ocean Walks in Daytona a couple times. It is tough to go to FL and not see the beach.)

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjgaus View Post
Dean,
I've been on the look out for trade INTO DVC for a fews years now in particular the last 2 week of December but NO luck. I do realize this is ALMOST everyone's winter break including ours so I think we shall try another well recommended timeshare. Although thanks for the suggestion
& your quick reply!
If you haven't seen anything at all during this time and you're in RCI weeks, you may not have enough trade power and/or you're not doing an ongoing search or not looking enough/at the correct times. If you're in RCI points, you may have missed them as well. That doesn't mean there have been as many units, but there have been units at least for Dec 2010 & 2011, I haven't looked as much for 2012, maybe some of the others that follow this area have more info for Dec, 2012. If you're in weeks you'll likely need a TPU up in the low to mid 40's for a 1 or 2 BR. If you can put in an ongoing search, do so now. If you are in weeks and don't have enough TPU, try to combine deposits to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post

Grand Villas resort I think. I wonder if it's gone downhill since the older reviews under CP are much better than the newer reviews.

For RCI exchanges, here are 2 groups.

Top tier suggestions
3 Hilton's
Cypress Harbour (Marriott)
Royal Palms (Marriott)
Fountains
Oasis Lakes at Fountains
Vistana Villages
Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Reunions (more residential and a little further away)
Disney resorts
Houses at Summer Bay

Second Tier - definitely not top choices but reasonable choices
Summer Bay
MAYBE Villas at Summer Bay
Vistana
Vacation Villages at Parkway
Silver Lakes
Maybe Grande Villas above
Holiday Inn (Orange Lake),yes for River Island, maybe for the rest

Worth Considering would include most any rated resort not included above depending on needs. Some of the ones I left off are Gold Crown though they likely shouldn't be like the WorldMark. Be aware that there is one Alternative resort if that matters to the individual. I've seen most of them personally including units and stayed at many of them.

As for how to rank them, it really depends on what's important to you. Is it location, proximity to WDW, quality of the resort itself? Also, some are very easy to get being large resorts and not as high in demand, VV is a good example.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #11
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdana View Post
Time share no, but other resort yes.

It makes you thankful for DVC, and saves you a few bucks HAVE A GREAT TIME.

( We have stayed at Ocean Walks in Daytona a couple times. It is tough to go to FL and not see the beach.)
Other than location and theming, some of the off property options in Orlando are better than DVC is some ways. If you have the opportunity, you might give one of the top options a try.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #12
sweetdana
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Other than location and theming, some of the off property options in Orlando are better than DVC is some ways. If you have the opportunity, you might give one of the top options a try.
I have threatened that a few times.. I love the dining plan. .. and daily doing parks we love walking there. Once the parks/DP/ and/or something else wears off we will!

sweetdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdana View Post
I have threatened that a few times.. I love the dining plan. .. and daily doing parks we love walking there. Once the parks/DP/ and/or something else wears off we will!
It really depends on how you'll vacation for that segment. When it comes pools, unit quality, unit size and resort activities, many of the resorts offer a different feel and often better options in those areas. We love being on property and feel at home there but I can't think of a stay off property where we were unhappy and wishing we were at DVC. However, we are very selective in our choices to the point where I've only strayed outside my top tier one time and it was a special situation where we were using the resort closer to Clermont as a stopover on the way to and from Marco Island. I got the 1 BR for 9 nights and only used it for the first and last night. That way no housekeeping fees or other concerns. We had the RCI points to burn.

Use it as a opportunity to do dinner shows, Universal or just relax.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #14
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Second Tier - definitely not top choices but reasonable choices

Vistana
Maybe Grande Villas above
i'm with brian noble in encouraging you to upgrade your opinion on sheraton's vistana resort. i stayed in the lakes section a few months ago and it is very nice after the recent refurb. great location, too - it took me less than 10 minutes to get back to the resort from the epcot parking lot.

would you consider cypress pointe as a solid 2nd tier choice? i think grande villas used to be linked to them, but they have started identifying themselves as separate resorts. i thought CP was generally regarded as better than GV but haven't stayed at either yet...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Dean, have you seen Vistana post renovation? I think it might be worthy of being included back in group one again. The pools and common areas are still a little dated, but the rooms themselves are quite nice.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: