DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 03:00 AM   #16
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
I made two reservations online the first day the online tool went live. I was sitting at the hospital at my Mom's bedside. Two day earlier I was at BWV expecting to celebrate my birthday with several hundred friends with a private party at Sea World. (Perspective: Our IBM business conf was hosting the party as part of the conference events. It aligned nicely with my b'day.) Then I got the call to come home, Mom is in the hospital.

On 1/19, she was greatly improved and we were looking towards the future thinking this was just a minor twist in the long path of her cancer treatment. The two reservations I booked that day were both specific to her dreams:
  • A weekend at the Grand Californian, 1BR unit in April. This was not far out (less than 90 days) and was to satisfy a promise my father made to her when her cancer was first diagnosed. Sadly he passed, unexpectantly, within months of that promise. She was thrilled to know the reservation was on the books and told her doctors eagerly of the plans. While she didn't make it physically, we *know* she was with us in spirit: we were assigned a perfect room overlooking the World of Color show (she would have loved it!) and encountered so many delightful surprises that stay.
  • A Treehouse Villa for early December. This was her favorite time of year to visit WDW and we've shared Dec trips many times with my folks and their friends in past years. They missed our prior Treehouse reservation (Dec 2009) as my Dad was undergoing a rigorous schedule of Proton Beam Therapy for prostate cancer. (Aside: the proton beam therapy was quite successful and minimally unpleasant, btw.) She had hoped we could rebook that trip someday and give her a chance for a do-over.
FWIW, we kept and used the two 2BR units she had booked for Aug at WM Oceanside. My brothers and I, along with spouses and family, filled the units and celebrated her "beach week."

Perhaps it was unrealistic for us to have planned the Dec trip that far out given the uncertainties. But one never knows. Better to book it and later cancel than to be too late to ever get the reservation.

Looking back, I'm so glad for the many crazy trips we booked and took even when things didn't look 'certain.'
  • Several timeshare trips and one cruise with my FIL even while he fought lung cancer. (Someday ask me about the day I discovered his smoking medical MJ on the resort balcony ... oh, my.) He had a stroke while we were on the cruise and received excellent care at the 'wrong' hospital in Sitka, AK. While my husband remained with his father, we ladies went back to the ship to conduct an unscheduled debarkation via tenders! What an adventure!
  • Talking my folks into joining us for a trip to the Holy Lands in a period of unrest. It was one of our best trips ever! We have great stories of not only the sites but also the rough encounters, scary moments, armed guards, etc. (I still shiver recalling some of those moments and laugh at others: I lost my husband in Jerusalem!)
  • Holding on to a trip to Antarctica after the expedition company filed bankruptcy. It was a gutsy move but well rewarded.
  • Booking a trip to Australia on just a few days notice in response to the first 9/11 fare sale.
  • Embarking on a long RV trip with my folks at the height of gas prices in Summer 2008. We covered Zion NP, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, Rocky Mtn NP and other sites having turned a deaf ear to the many concerned voices warning us to put it off a year (due to fuel costs). Sure glad we went!
Sometimes you just can't know ... you go by feel and hope for the best.
Never a bad idea to plan something, we all have things that could cause us to have to cancel, I thought you meant you were "just playing" around with the online booking to try it out and forgot to cancel it.

You definitely have had some remarkable trips.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: