Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
wishiwasindisneynow
Earning My Ears

Is the Wanyama Safari for AKL guests only worth the money?

Has anyone on here been on the Wanyama Safari that is offered to AKL guests? Is it worth the $190 per person?
wishiwasindisneynow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Kathy Z
Counting my Blessings

We did this in December 2010 & considered it a real highlight of our trip so I would say yes. That said, I probably would not pay to do it a second time. I loved being so close to the animals and having such great photo opportunities, My DH especially enjoyed our dinner at Jiko, so much that we ate there again on our next trip.

DH & I were celebrating our anniversary even though it was still a few weeks away and so we got this special dessert in addition to the trio sampler that the other 3 couples at our special safari table were served.

Last edited by Kathy Z; 09-22-2012 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added photos
Kathy Z is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
wishiwasindisneynow
Earning My Ears

Thank you!! Love the pictures! The dessert looks amazing! My DH and I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary on the trip!
Old 09-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Kathy Z
Counting my Blessings

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasindisneynow View Post
Thank you!! Love the pictures! The dessert looks amazing! My DH and I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary on the trip!
Be sure to have your anniversary noted on all of your ADRs and especially on the Wanyama reservation if you decide to book it. We wore our anniversary buttons every day and even had free desserts given to us by the CM who took our lunch order at Flame Tree Barbecue. We don't often use the dining plan so the special extras were appreciated. Not all restaurants do something special but quite a few do. Congratulations!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
sndral
DIS Veteran

We absolutely loved the safari in Dec. 2010, I'd recommend doing it early in your stay so that you have extra info. on the animals you'll be seeing all week. We haven't stayed @ AKL since 2010 - but when we stay there again in the future, I'll do the Wanyama Safari again.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
UberClaire
Earning My Ears

We're staying at AKL next August and are trying to justify the cost of the safari to ourselves. $400 for the two of us seems really steep -- we're contemplating just having a nice dinner at Jiko and riding the Kilimanjaro Safari attraction a couple of times.
UberClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberClaire View Post
We're staying at AKL next August and are trying to justify the cost of the safari to ourselves. $400 for the two of us seems really steep -- we're contemplating just having a nice dinner at Jiko and riding the Kilimanjaro Safari attraction a couple of times.
Riding KS is not even close to the same thing as the safari through the savannahs at AKL. The Wanyama is really a much more intimate and upclose experience (a giraffe stuck its head into our safari vehicle to take a look around). There is a max of 12 people who can take the Wanyama per night. The guide works on site with the animals they are taking about and can get really in-depth with how the animals are cared for and even some of their individual personalities. The feast at Jiko after does not compare to a regular meal at Jiko. You get bread service, 3 appitizers and 3 entrees that are served family style and 3 desserts that are served to you individually. There are also wine pairings with each course and the chef will come out and explain each item as it is served to you. The wait staff keeps on top of everything and are quick to remove plates or refill your wine glass. The Wanyama was one of the few instances where we felt that even at $190 (remember that includes tax and tip) per person, they could have charged more and we would have no had an issue with that.

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
UberClaire
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the information! We're going for our honeymoon, so we'd like to do something special, but I'm having a hard time deciding between this and the Flying Fish Cafe Chef Tasting Wine Dinner. We just need to win the lottery.
UberClaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #9
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberClaire View Post
Thanks for the information! We're going for our honeymoon, so we'd like to do something special, but I'm having a hard time deciding between this and the Flying Fish Cafe Chef Tasting Wine Dinner. We just need to win the lottery.
I would do the Wanyama this time since you have to be an AKL guest to do it. You can do the Flyinf Fish Chef Tasting on any other trip. I googled a bunch of reviews before booking the safari and everyone really seems to gush about how wonderful it is. I'm looking forward to trying it on Oct. 6!
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Kathy Z
Counting my Blessings

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhThePain View Post
Riding KS is not even close to the same thing as the safari through the savannahs at AKL. The Wanyama is really a much more intimate and upclose experience (a giraffe stuck its head into our safari vehicle to take a look around). There is a max of 12 people who can take the Wanyama per night. The guide works on site with the animals they are taking about and can get really in-depth with how the animals are cared for and even some of their individual personalities. The feast at Jiko after does not compare to a regular meal at Jiko. You get bread service, 3 appitizers and 3 entrees that are served family style and 3 desserts that are served to you individually. There are also wine pairings with each course and the chef will come out and explain each item as it is served to you. The wait staff keeps on top of everything and are quick to remove plates or refill your wine glass. The Wanyama was one of the few instances where we felt that even at $190 (remember that includes tax and tip) per person, they could have charged more and we would have no had an issue with that.
I agree with everything in the post quoted above We even had a demonstration of how fast an ostrich can run. Our day had begun quite chilly but was warmer when we began the safari. I took my light fleece jacket off & secured it by tying the arms around a post on our vehicle. When a distant ostrich spotted it he or she came running towards us. Our guide gave me a quick warning and I untied that as quick as I could. Others got a great shot of me saving my jacket but I was too preoccupied to take a photo at that moment. We had such fun! Also, even though all but the desserts and wine are served family style at your plentiful dinner in Jiko, the chef will meet everyone at the start to learn if there are any allergies that need to be accommodated.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

That is expensive....but if you have the funds, why not do it. With many things at Disney....one year it's offered and then another year or two later it might be replaced with something else or done away with. So I'd definitely do it if I could afford it and had the chance.....

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
wishicouldgomoreofte
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Wow, you sure make it enticing. It is so costly, not in my price range. But I sure would like to. I didn't realize wine was included too. You make it sound like all the wine you want to drink! Since it is limited to 12, are there any solo travelers, or is it all couples? Does it usually stay pretty booked---hard to get reservation?
Old 09-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
wishicouldgomoreofte
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Z View Post
I agree with everything in the post quoted above We even had a demonstration of how fast an ostrich can run. Our day had begun quite chilly but was warmer when we began the safari. I took my light fleece jacket off & secured it by tying the arms around a post on our vehicle. When a distant ostrich spotted it he or she came running towards us. Our guide gave me a quick warning and I untied that as quick as I could. Others got a great shot of me saving my jacket but I was too preoccupied to take a photo at that moment. We had such fun! Also, even though all but the desserts and wine are served family style at your plentiful dinner in Jiko, the chef will meet everyone at the start to learn if there are any allergies that need to be accommodated.
Thank you Kathy for your pictures and report on it.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
OhThePain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishicouldgomoreofte View Post
Wow, you sure make it enticing. It is so costly, not in my price range. But I sure would like to. I didn't realize wine was included too. You make it sound like all the wine you want to drink! Since it is limited to 12, are there any solo travelers, or is it all couples? Does it usually stay pretty booked---hard to get reservation?
I don't know if it is ALL the wine you want to drink, but they sure didn't let us go thirsty if we didn't want to. Our group was 3 couples and a family of 6. One of the couples did not have dinner with us (they were allowed to return to Jiko with a credit for the dinner, not sure how much) and the 2 younger boys (they were 9 or 10, I believe 8 is the minimum age for guests) from the family didn't spend much time at the dinner (they wanted to play in the arcade). So our group of 12 ended up a group of 8 for dinner, which was really nice. We ended up running into the other couple we had dinner with a lot durring our stay. I don't think a solo traveler would have felt uncomfy with the group we had, but then again there are other groups that might be more clique-ish.

It is my understanding that the Wanyama does often book up, but I have read reviews from people who didn't have full groups. We booked it at 180 days, so I couldn't tell you how quickly it may book up.

If you are looking for one real nice splurge (even at the risk of eliminated a couple of other smaller splurges) it is well worth it, IMO. It's one of those things that not many WDW guests get to experience.

1988- Contemporary Resort / 1990- Big Red Boat and Buena Vista Palace / 1993- CBR / 1997- ASMusic / 1998- CBR / 1998- ASSports / 2008/9- POR / 2009- Convention at Gaylord Palms / 2010- POR / 2011- AKL-CL (with 3 "bonus" nights AKL non-CL) / 2013-BWV / 2014- POR
OhThePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
wishiwasindisneynow
Earning My Ears

Quote:

THANK YOU FOR THIS! We are doing it!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: