Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #31
cfw213
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Parr View Post
I made the mistake of reading the negative reviews on Tripadvisor. A few things were surprising to me.

1. More than one person mentioned 45 bus rides to the other parks, except AK. I was sure I had read 25 min.

2. Several said the rooms were cheapy.

3. One mentioned that you can see a Target from the resort.

We are renting from a DVC owner, so I don't think we can change at this point (trip is 35 days away.)

I'm really second-guessing our choice and wondering if anyone has insights.

Thanks!
We just checked out of Kidani this morning and I already miss it! It was our first deluxe stay and our first stay on DVC points and I was really happy. I will say, the bus ride to MK is quite far - 20 to 25 minutes. We were at AoA for the first 6 nights of our trip which I thought was a lot closer. However, I found the AKL busses to be less crowded and we never had to wait a long time for a bus.

The rooms are BEAUTFIUL! Certainly not "cheapy" by any means. We had a savannah view so we certainly couldn't see Target - but we saw lots of giraffes and zebras The resort is beautiful and quiet. We really enjoyed coming back from a busy day in the park and having a nice, quiet place to relax.

I wouldn't have any worries - I think you'll love it!

September 2012 TR - COMPLETE- Are you Push?? Our sister trip around the World - A September 2012 TR
October 2013 TR - IN PROGRESS- Where are we going? What are we doing? An engagement/anniversary extravaganza! - An Oct 2013 TR

cfw213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #32
eeyoresnr
DIS Veteran

we have rented points and stayed at Kidani twice.... we loved it...nothing cheap about it.... and we never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus and never had a ride longer than 25
1963-1999 Disneyland... Too many to list /Feb 2003 WDW All Star Sports- (Honeymoon- 1st WDW trip) / Jan 2004 WDW CSR (1st Anniversary)/ Aug 2004 Disneyland (Home-Sweet-Home) / Aug 2005 WDW CSR & POR / Dec 2005 CBR (MVMCP)/March 2006 WDW CSR (Braves / Dodgers) / April 2006 POR (Daughters 21st Birthday)Dec 2007 WDW ASMusic & Villas @WL (My Birthday & Our 5th Anniversary & 2 MVMCP)
Feb 2008 Pop Century / April 2008 ASMovies / Dec 2008 ASMusic, CR & OKW & AKL-(CL) MVMCP/Steam Train & Keys to the Kingdom Tours...
May 2009 CSR / Dec 2009 CSR & AKV Kidani SV / Bay Lake Towers / Boardwalk Villas (Backstage Magic Tour) / April 2010 AKV Kidani SV & FW Cabins / May 2010 CBR / Sept 2010 OKW / Dec 2010 CSR (My 50th Birthday)
April 2011 A.S. Sports/Bonnet Creek / May 2011 Bonnet Creek / Dec 2013 Bonnet Creek / March-April 2014 Bonnet Creek
Working on my ROAR! Jaxon's First trip to meet Mickey Mouse... Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2988090
eeyoresnr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #33
DVCTigger
DIS Veteran

One of our home resorts is AKV, and our favorite! You will love it. Went last May for a week and never went to a park! The resort has so much to do, or just relax by the pools and Savannahs! Take advantage of all the activities available. One of our favorites is the cookie decorating at Boma. And we always hit the pool parties in the afternoons. Can't wait to be back "home" in Dec!
DVCTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #34
LILJAN59
Mouseketeer

Wink Kidani

We have stayed in Jambo House 3 times with a Savanna view, and once at Kidani, also with aSavanna view, and loved it every time. I cannot remember ever waiting for a bus more than 15 or 20 minutes.
Which room view did you ask for from the people you rented from,or did they even tell you there were different views available

I am familiar with the area, and would guess that if you were in a standard view room on the third floor, you may be able to see Target in the distance. I believe
that Target store is due South of Kidani, and maybe even a little west.
I would contact the people you are renting from and ask them which view they requested when they made the reservation for you. It may help resolve your concerns.

I would advise you to enjoy your trip, and not fret about views! There are many areas to see the animals, and check out the kids nature program. Our grandson was 6 and learned a lot about animal conservation, and has the beads from each class on a rope. He has taken it for show and tell, and is very proud of what he
Learned. Ask about the program when you check in.

By all means, have a wonderful magical time!!!!
LILJAN59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #35
twotoohappy
Lovin' Pete!
I'll be the one in the evil scar shirt... he he he
Don't bother clapping, it gives the TF a headache ;-)

I own at VWL and BCV and Kidani (savannah view) is our favorite!! Standard view can get loud because of the pool when the life guards are using the loud speakers. Eat at The Mara and get zebra domes. Boma has the best breakfast on property. Sanaa is our favorite restaurant - try the naan bread mmmm. The pool is fantastic with lots of quiet shady areas.
Have fun!!!!
twotoohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #36
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

I'm sure its Ok! I have found that no matter where I stay on vacation, as long as it is clean, we are satified. By the time we get in the room, and have all our stuff in it... It just becomes our home away from home! We've always had a good time!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #37
Violet Parr
DIS Veteran

yay, thanks everyone! I'm back to being super amped and excited again. Countdown is on!

VP
December 2005 Pop Century, VWL, Swan, December 2007 Coronado Springs, Fort Wilderness December 2010 Fort Wilderness, October 2012 AKV Kidani, June 2013 Caribbean Beach, July 2013 Polynesian August 2013 Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room September 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas, POR-AB October 2013 MNSSHP/F&W Fort Wilderness December 2013 Villas at Wilderness Lodge
Violet Parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #38
AJKMOM
DIS Veteran

I bet you can a lot of things like a Target store from the top floor of the Contemporary or BLT, is that complained about on Tripadvisor?

People pick on AKV and AKL, but they are beautiful resorts with nice amenities.
AJKMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #39
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJKMOM View Post
I bet you can a lot of things like a Target store from the top floor of the Contemporary or BLT, is that complained about on Tripadvisor?

People pick on AKV and AKL, but they are beautiful resorts with nice amenities.
believe me people also complaint about BLT - the good kid on the block will always get hit. you should have seem the boards when BWV was opened.... same thing happened at VWL (although not as bad), BCV, SSR - you would have though this place was the worst ever......

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #40
EagleScout
Mouseketeer

Tripadvisor reviews of Disney Hotels

As others have noted, you have to appreciate Tripadvisor reviews in general for what they are, and also their reviews of Disney specifically. I am a huge fan (and regular contributor) of Tripadvisor, but I also recognize that the reviews (like all online reviews) tend to represent the "extreme" experiences, so disproportionate sampling of negative comments. Also, regarding Disney specifically, many of the commenters are reviewing the Disney hotels just in terms of "pure" hotel- during certain seasons, etc., a "preferred view" regular room at certain deluxe Disney resorts is probably the same price (or even more) as a suite at the Orlando Ritz Carlton or Waldorf Astoria. In terms of rating a hotel "in a vacuum", the room (and certainly a suite) at Ritz or Waldorf is likely much better (bigger room, "fancier" dinners, bigger and better gym, etc), but obviously the Disney resorts provide other perks (transportation, theming, proximity, etc) that a frequent business traveler would not necessarily appreciate in a review. Particularly if focusing on staying at your resort, I can imagine a 3 year old going crazy with excitement at being able to look out and see an elephant, giraffe, etc. either at the hotel or at the pool. The Ritz does not offer that, and if you want to compare travel times, etc., even the "worst" Disney bus service days will compare favorably with the much-less-frequent (and further away) shuttle service from Ritz or Waldorf. (To be clear, not taking anything away from those resorts- I have stayed at Orlando Ritz and it is a truly amazing property, but you do not feel-at all-like you are at Disney World.)
EagleScout is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: