Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
SillyFamily
Mouseketeer

I have no comment on the AKL other than its beautiful. I will say the target is close and a great place to run in for a few essentials.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #17
rjvose17
Mouseketeer

I'd like to chime in here. Kidani is one of our home resorts as well for we are DVC members too. We stay at AKV at least a portion of all of our trips. It's by far the best we have stayed in for quality. There isn't another resort like it, it's an experience in itself. As far as seeing a shopping center or target....we have stayed in a front room on the top floor and at night you can see lights that could be a shopping center but you have to be looking for it. Also remember that there isn't a target on Disney property so you have to leave the Disney area to get to it, so considering how much Disney owns it's not too close. I can't honestly comment on the buses because we always have a rental and hardly ever use a bus, but I see them constantly coming and going so I wouldn't imagine they are too horrible. We have two small girls too and they love going to AKV so much to do and see. Especially in the library. There is usually drumming going on and story telling. Disney does a great job. Relax it's going to be wonderful! Good luck. Hope that helps.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 09:26 PM   #18
shaynar
Mouseketeer

We stayed there last year as a "last resort" b/c it was a last minute trip on dvc points. It was amazing!!!!! I would 100% go again.
We had a standard view room, right above the bus stop. Yes, we could see things in the distance (we were on the 5th floor, but we also could see Wishes from our balcony. We didn't pay for the upgraded view, so we accepted what we got. The room was gorgeous (stayed in a studio) and will 100% stay again in a 1-br next time!

Too many than I can remember.....
Latest: 09/2008 Honeymoon @ Poly, 10/2010 First "family trip" @ WL, 01/2012 Bringing Baby #2 @ Kidani, 01/2013 @ BCV/VWL and 1/2014 @ VWL !!!!
shaynar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #19
Violet Parr
DIS Veteran

Oh, yay! I'm so excited now! I am really hoping that we are closer to the lobby. I don't even mind seeing the porte corchere or Disney buses from our balcony. I'd rather skip the long walk or Target view if possible.

In any case, thanks for making me feel so much better, everyone! Very much looking forward to the trip now.

VP
December 2005 Pop Century, VWL, Swan, December 2007 Coronado Springs, Fort Wilderness December 2010 Fort Wilderness, October 2012 AKV Kidani, June 2013 Caribbean Beach, July 2013 Polynesian August 2013 Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room September 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas, POR-AB October 2013 MNSSHP/F&W Fort Wilderness December 2013 Villas at Wilderness Lodge October 2014 DISNEYLAND PARIS HALLOWEEN! Oh Mon Dieu!!!!

Violet Parr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:34 PM   #20
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

the target is probably the one across from Orange lake publix - really surprised no one has mention the publix. when they were making AKV you could definitely see it from the publix side.

you would to be high up and almost directly across from the target to see it.

but can't remember if you saw the end or near the lobby - so just avoid the front side (standard view) of the 5th floor.

savannah view should never see it.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #21
jamelynn24
Mouseketeer

Another vote for Kidani!!! Just stayed there 2 weeks ago in a 2br savanna view and it was great!! Rooms were not cheaply decorated AT ALL. In fact, I was pretty impressed with the dishes in the kitchen
Now, we use our car, but there is no way that it's a 45 min bus RIDE anywhere. From the time you get to the bus stop, wait, then travel to the park it could be 45 minutes. I was worried because I kept reading how far out AKL is and how it takes forever to get anywhere. On day 1, we drove to MK and were at the gates in less than 10 min. We actually commented on how quick it was when everything we read told us to beware of the travel times. Yes, that's 10 min in a car, but there is no way a bus is 35 min slower!
I will say that we came to AKL after 2 nights at the Poly and while kidani was a nice resort, we knew right away that it wasn't our favorite. HOWEVER, as the week went on, it grew on us It's really a cool place...animals, night vision goggles, drum parades in the lobby...we loved it!!
The savanna view was cool, but the giraffes were migrated on the other side of the savanna the entire week...until the day we left...of course!! So while it was a nice view, we really didn't see many animals. Not sure I'd use the extra points again. My dad feels differently, though...he will never stay without the savanna view!!
jamelynn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #22
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamelynn24 View Post
ow, we use our car, but there is no way that it's a 45 min bus RIDE anywhere.
WDW changed their policy I think last year - bus drivers can be fired if they get a traffic violation - very few now will speed around like they did. part of the way is 40 then 45 then 50. most of the buses will now travel at 5mph (or more) less than the speed limit.

for you to get there in 10 minutes - well not sure how you did it. when I drove to BLT from Jambo house it told almost 20 minutes.

plus after the buses leave Kidani they stop at Jambo house so that adds anywhere from 5 minute to 10 minutes to more. depending upon how many people and if any have wheelchairs (which take longer)

Old 09-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #23
Belle & Ariel
DIS Veteran

We had a Kidani standard view studio and could see the Target in the far distance. Think of when you are up high and see Expedition Everest or different Disney landmarks in the distance. It was not in your face and you problably looked through a mile of trees to see it. You had to be on the balcony facing that way. I pointed it out to my husband who had not seen it. Perhaps you won't notice it at all. Our room was right across from the grills and sport court.
It did not bother us at all. We have stayed there again and if we added on it would be our resort of choice. Bus service was great, our room was in great condition as well as the rest of the resort. The animals are a big bonus. There are a few areas both indoors and out with rocking chairs where you can relax and enjoy the animals.
If you are staying savannah view you will not face Target. Much of the resort is angled where you would not see it either.
I have written two very favorable Kidani reviews on Tripadvisor. It seems a lot of readers echo what others said--if one complains, the next few pile on. Then someone writes favorably and others follow.
Belle & Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #24
JJsmama
Becoming an accidental expert on resorts Far from The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Parr View Post

3. One mentioned that you can see a Target from the resort.
OOOH! We have been in China almost 7 years, we would LOVE to see a Target from the resort!! I think the kids might abandon the parks for Target though. Sorry. I know...Not helping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
for you to get there in 10 minutes - well not sure how you did it. when I drove to BLT from Jambo house it told almost 20 minutes.
Are you serious??!! I had no idea it was that far away!

Contemporary x 5 trips, Polynesian x 4 trips, Beach Club x 2 trip, Wilderness Lodge x 1 trip, Port Orleans R / FQ x 3 trips, All Stars Movies x 1 trip, Tokyo DisneyLand and Tokyo DisneySea x 1 trip, Disney Cruise line x 3 cruises

Animal Kingdom Lodge & Contemporary Here We Come! Summer 2014
JJsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #25
RDP
DIS Veteran

We LOVE Kidani, never had a problem with the view, but we have always stayed in a savanna view room... As for buses the waits have varied, but have never matched the one wait we had at SSR for a bus! The rooms at Kidani are beautiful, and the master bathrooms in the 1 and 2 bed accommodation are fantastic. Lots of people complain about the lack of counter service at Kidani but this has never bothered us, we use the one at AKL ( this is still less of a walk than if you stay at SSR and use the one CS there, dependant on where your room is). Your choice of resort is very subjective and influenced by how you vacation, go and explore, enjoy and have a wonderful time. For us Kidani is a sanctuary from the busy parks and has a wonderful cool atmosphere.
1999-Swan, 2001- Grand Floridian, 2002-Yacht & Beach Club, 2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge,2004- Grand Floridian&Disney Cruise,2006- Off site, 2008- Dolphin, 2009-AKV Kidani, 2010-Saratoga Springs ,2011-AKV Kidani ,2012 - Port Orleans, DCL-Dream & Beach Club, 2013 - AKV Kidani

RDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #26
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDP View Post
We LOVE Kidani, never had a problem with the view, but we have always stayed in a savanna view room....
You can see it from certain savanna views also. If you are on the far end on the 'front' of the resort there is a small savanna there and you could see it from there.. Again, it really wasnt a huge deal, but it was visible.

As far as bus trips, with the exception of DTD which is a long trip since it is ALLLLLL the way across property I just dont feel it is that long of trips.. And DHS isnt far at all, and epcot isnt bad either. At least IMO.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:41 AM   #27
goodferry
DIS Veteran

It has got to depend on your time of day, I guess. We drove from BLT to AKL for breakfast (8:30 am) and it took us 10 minutes (my husband drives like a grandma in a rental, no speeding)
Old 09-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #28
FantasiaMagic
DIS Veteran

Hello. Please don't worry about Kidani. It is a wonderful resort! I just stayed there this past August. The rooms are gorgeous, esp if you have a savannah view.
I never saw a target from my room! Everything about the resort is beautiful and calm.
The animals are amazing! I got many great pictures up so close! Another great thing is you can walk to AKL/Jambo.

Another thing...the pool is great!!! There is a great slide and kids area. here is also an animal viewing area right by the pool!

And the busses, we don't usually take the buses to the parks (we have a car), but the drive really isn't that bad. You should be fine!

Have a great trip and don't worry about anything. And make sure you look at the resort on the disney world website. That will bring a smile to your face seeing how great it really looks.

-FantasiaMagic

AKV Kidani August 2012 TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2975354
FantasiaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #29
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodferry View Post
It has got to depend on your time of day, I guess. We drove from BLT to AKL for breakfast (8:30 am) and it took us 10 minutes (my husband drives like a grandma in a rental, no speeding)
I dont know what the real speed limits are but doing google maps from AKL to CR (CR to AKL wanted to go all the way around the back of MK for some reason, but AKL to CR goes right up world dr.) shows 8.2 miles and 21 minutes.. so either that's WAY off, or it takes longer then you think / want to believe. But since I've never actually driven in the world, I have no idea what speed limits are on property. I admit that seems long for 8 miles, but 16 minutes would be 30 MPH average.

using this as a map.. http://goo.gl/maps/0muao
Old 09-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #30
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dburg30 View Post
I dont know what the real speed limits are but doing google maps from AKL to CR (CR to AKL wanted to go all the way around the back of MK for some reason, but AKL to CR goes right up world dr.) shows 8.2 miles and 21 minutes.. so either that's WAY off, or it takes longer then you think / want to believe. But since I've never actually driven in the world, I have no idea what speed limits are on property. I admit that seems long for 8 miles, but 16 minutes would be 30 MPH average.

using this as a map.. http://goo.gl/maps/0muao
there are a couple of lights (which add) and you have to merge with traffic - which can also be a problem.

plus you are going into the MK at the front gate and sometimes there are a bunch of cars in front of you. just depends upon how many gates are open and how busy they are.

so for me 20 minutes is around average - now one time it took 35 minutes because they only have 2 gates open and it seem like everyone had questions.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: