Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
McKelly
DIS Veteran

Price on Playstation 3

My son is asking for a Playstation 3 for Xmas. What do you guys think is the best price I can expect for the upcoming holiday season? Did anyone purchase it last Xmas? Anyone hear of any deals that will be coming out this year? Thanks for the help.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
artesian
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKelly
My son is asking for a Playstation 3 for Xmas. What do you guys think is the best price I can expect for the upcoming holiday season? Did anyone purchase it last Xmas? Anyone hear of any deals that will be coming out this year? Thanks for the help.
Just read an article the other day a new version was being relaesed for 229. Typical sales around the holidays won't lower the console price but may net an extra game or controller
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

I missed out last year but they had bundles for $199. Keep an eye out on blackfriday.com where they post all the ads.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
unbrelievable
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
I missed out last year but they had bundles for $199. Keep an eye out on blackfriday.com where they post all the ads.
Yeah, I got mine on black friday last year for $199. It came with the standard one controller and two games.
unbrelievable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #5
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

They did a release of the New Slim model. There's a lot of comments on the new system, but you should still be able to find the old slim model. Check out some of the youtube videos to see which one you like or your kid likes better.

They also restructured the pricing, it mainly has to deal with the hard drive size. More and more full size games are being released on PSN, so that could mean 4gb or larger game downloads. Playstation Plus is also a great addition, they offer discounts on the PSN network as well as free games every so often. A handful of the games we have are free with PSPlus. Plus they offer a free Cloud save for game saves. It makes it much easier to transfer to a new harddrive, or access your game save from another PS3.

Upgraded to the slim PS3 little less than a couple years ago, and the 160gb really wasn't efficient. Recently put in a new 1tb hard drive (it uses a standard laptop harddrive), and finally downloaded all the games, it's over 400gb of games. Granted this is 6 years worth of purchases. Transferred all the game saves to the cloud, and then put them onto the new harddrive.

Shooter games are also using the Move for more accurate shooting. A lot of people like this feature. But completely optional device.

Playing online is free unlike the Xbox, so you don't need anything there. Although a bluetooth mic would be a good addition. I don't find the online community quite as bad as what's on xbox live, but personal opinion on that.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

Visit a local pawn shop. That's were all our gaming machines come from. Down here in Georgia, I routinely see PS3's going for $100-$125 at pawn shops. They do test them out before they take them.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
kkandaj
No longer a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbrelievable View Post
Yeah, I got mine on black friday last year for $199. It came with the standard one controller and two games.
Got one for DH last year from Target at the same price on BF with two games. Gave the game to the neighbor boy because they weren't games DH would play. We also use it as our Blu-Ray player and run Netflix through it.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkandaj View Post
Got one for DH last year from Target at the same price on BF with two games. Gave the game to the neighbor boy because they weren't games DH would play. We also use it as our Blu-Ray player and run Netflix through it.
They also put out the laugh factory. ITs free for Plus users till December, if you like stand up comedy.

Pretty much all streaming services can be installed on the PS3, along with the sports packages.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

We got the deal last year for $199 with a controller and 2 games for $199, thn DH turned around and traded in the games that came with it and got like $50 towards some games he really wanted and the remote.

I don't know why I put off buying one for so long (oh yeah, price), even I use it quite a bit, with the Blu-ray player and Netflix capabilities.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
kkandaj
No longer a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessSuzanne View Post
We got the deal last year for $199 with a controller and 2 games for $199, thn DH turned around and traded in the games that came with it and got like $50 towards some games he really wanted and the remote.
Though this probably does happen, I could not find a place that would allow it. The games that came with the bundle did not have a real barcode on the back and said "not for individual sale" so none of the companies in our area would trade.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: