Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
lovestravl
Earning My Ears

Question First Time: Need hotel and transport advice

Aside from stopovers on the way to somewhere else, my family has never stayed in Orlando. We've planned a trip because my daughter and her friend really want to see the Harry Potter land. I'm a little nervous about doing this for the first time. I've read the posts about the benefits of staying at Universal, and want to stay on site. However, with airfare being rather pricey right now, I am hoping to not stay all three nights.

Right now I've reserved a room at Portofino Bay for Wed and Thursday nights, thinking we'd visit the IOC on Thursday and Friday, then stay somewhere else Friday night before flying out on Saturday. However, we get in really late on Wed. night, so I doubt anyone will be awake early enough to enjoy early admission.

A few questions: 1. Would it be better to stay somewhere else Wednesday, then stay at a Lowe's resort on Thursday and Friday nights?

2. What is transportation like? Is it best to rent a car? I've heard transportation from the airport is rather pricey.

3. Other than City Walk and the onsite food, are there restaurants/grocery store close by?

I really appreciate everyone's advice.
lovestravl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Melanie230
Ready to retire in Florida. Trading my Mommy title for a Mummy title!

1. Stay somewhere else on Wednesday night. We always stay offsite on our first night there. Get up very early the next morning, and check in at the hotel.
2. We always rent a HERTZ car. Get the cheapest thing you can rent. We got a Toyota Corolla for $40. You can return the car to the PBH when you check in.
3. I am not sure about the nerby restaurants, or grocery stores, but I am sure you can find something.

Hope this helps you!
March 2006 Royal Pacific; June 2007 Hard Rock Hotel; October 2008 Hard Rock Hotel; October 2009 Pop Century; October 2010 Pop Century; October 2011 Hard Rock Hotel; September/October 2012 Portofino Bay Hotel
Melanie230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
lovestravl
Earning My Ears

Thank you!
lovestravl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: