Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Scrapbooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #1
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

BEST adhesive ?

HI!

What is the best adhesive to use when making a scrapbook?

What is best for putting photos on paper?

What is the best for adding paper cutouts or other embellishments to scrapbook paper?

i just finished my first scrapbook. I used a craft glue stick (a larger version of one a kid would use in school ) which i thought did not work too well. Then I bought a martha Stewart gel pen (which i thought had too much gel stuff on the paper ).

I dont want to run into these issues with my next scrapbook. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

rrali33tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
tyniknate
DIS Veteran

I absolutely love the blue Zig pens. Best of all....my local Wal-mart has started selling it in the scrapbook section. There's a ball-point type and a wider felt-tip kind that works perfectly for what I need. The only place I don't use them is when placing photo mats to paper. I then use the tape rollers or sticky dots.

Hope this helps!

tyniknate is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
PrincessNancy96
My family drove me nuts, and then I got stuck in traffic
Washed my hair and wham, several ideas hit me all at once!

DISboards Moderator

I agree Zig pens of all sizes are my favorite.. I buy them w/ coupons at JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby..

I use photo squares to adhere my photos (usually buy them at Hobby Lobby for the best price)...

I use a tape runner (they are from Hobby Lobby too or JoAnn's if I have a sale)... they are 3 of them in the package for $12.00... I use it to adhere paper to paper, embellishments, etc.

I use pop dots (usually bought at HL or Jo's)...

I don't use glue sticks at all on my books but that is just my preference nothing wrong with it...

ETA: I also use glue dots (small, med, large and the 3D types) for a lot of things.... bought at them either hobby lobby and jo's

Secrets still a go...but they keep taking my computer...
PrincessNancy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
mybestieismickey
DIS Veteran

I think my ATG gun sticks the best, but it's probably not the most cost effective option. I also really like the photo squares. I usually buy them at Michael's with a coupon. Then it's like 850 for less than three dollars. Compared to $10 for two rolls of the ATG adhesive (before coupon).

I also like to use tape runners on occasion if it's a bit smaller project. I'm actually on the search for a new brand of tape runner myself since I hate the newer incarnation of the Tombow runner.

My mom uses glue sticks and really likes them, but I'm not a fan. I find that one end of the picture dries before I get the other end sticky and it's just too frustrating. I know that the Tombow liquid glue in the white and green bottle is really popular in the scrapbook community. I hate it. Absolutely can't stand it. You will find that what works for other people doesn't necessarily work for you. Trial and error is really the only way that you can find what works best.

I'm also a fan of glue dots and zots for heavier embellishements.

I think you will find that with scrapbooking, you will acquire a whole collection of different adhesives. I have a whole container of different brands both dry and liquid that I use on a regular basis, depending on my projects.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
disney-akj
DIS Veteran

The ATG tape gun was the best investment I have ever made! I got my gun for $20 with a 50% off coupon, which came with two refills too. I buy my tape refills super cheap off ebay and each box comes with 72 yards of tape. Sometimes I will use a M's coupon if I don't plan ahead and with a coupon the refills are still only $6 dollars at M's or HL's for 72 yards of tape. Most smaller tape runners only have 7 to 8 yards, so by the time I did the math (math is an inside joke here) it was a no-brainer . I save so much money using the ATG. While the initial investment seems large compared to the cost of the smaller tape runners, over time it is a huge money saver. I use the ATG for photos and large paper jobs, and it sticks great as mentioned above. If I am working with small pieces of paper, I too use the ZIG pens which I love. Glue dots are great too! I find gel glue pens tend to wrinkle my paper and glue sticks too sticky? Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by disney-akj; 09-13-2012 at 04:36 PM.
disney-akj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Count me among the ATG lovers! I get my tape by the 12 pack from thetapedepot.com or uline.com.

For different applications, I also use X-refills (without the X), zots, glue dots, red tape, and foam tape, and SU dimensionals.

For wet adhesives: Quickie glue pens, zig pen, Tombo liquid, and, for chipboard books YES! paste, applied with a brush.

New scrappers need NOT buy all these things at once, but rather as the need arises. If you don't make chipboard albums, you'll likely never need YES! paste, for example.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Go with the ATG! I highly recommend the ATG. A few friends and I ordered a case of refills from findtape.com. We paid $43 each for 36 rolls. Best way to to EVER!

I do use Zig pens for the small stuff. I have another pen type one that I use too, but I can't remember the name of it.

I too have a container of adhesives - ATG, Zig pens, glue dots, glue lines, dimensionals, etc.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
PrincessinTexas
Mouseketeer

I use my ATG gun and Scotch Quick Dry Adhesive for nearly everything. For small pieces I use the Zig pen. I also use the big Zig pen to restick my Cricut mats. I also like the AdTech glue runners.

PrincessinTexas
PrincessinTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

The ATG gun was the best thing I have bought in a long time. event though I ahve only been doing swaps lately, it's worth every penny. For smaller pieces I like my Zig 2 way pens.

Thanks ladies for waking me up. I had never thought os looking else where for ATG tape. Duh! Don't know what I was thinking
Old 09-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Donna PA
Mouseketeer

Atg gun or tape runner, I also use tacky glue, but not on photo, always use some kind of tape.

I use ultra fine tip Sharpie for journaling, or Zig white pen.
another problem with a glue stick, I found this out, is it doesn't hold permanently, so switch right away.

Paper, there are so many brands, I use everything, but I do prefer a heavier card stock such as Bazzill, American Crafts or coordinations.You ' ll learn all the companies lol Enjoy your new hobby!
Donna PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #11
tyniknate
DIS Veteran

OK. You all talked me right into an ATG this weekend. Michaels had fantastic sales and I stocked up on everything with my birthday gift cards. The ATG was $19.99. Hope that was a good price. Even had a spare minute last night to try it out with some of Reddy's paper piecings and I love it. Thanks for twisting my arm!

Is it possible my Michael's store doesn't carry American Crafts paper? Looked on Saturday but couldn't find it. Is it single sheets or packs? All the packs I could find were Recollections.

tyniknate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
morgansmom2000
DIS Veteran

Michaels has the American Crafts in packages (not exactly a stack, but along the same lines). I've only ever found it at ACM on clearance, they don't carry it regularly. I have heard that people have found it at TJ Maxx.

Enjoy the ATG
Old 09-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
rrali33tt
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all of the advice!

I think I will use a Michaels coupon one of these days and pick one up before my upcoming trip to Disney in 2 weeks! This way I will be ready to go once I get back.

rrali33tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
Lanie
DIS Veteran

Personnaly I love the Creative Memories tape runner, I tried a lot of them and this one is hands down my fave.

I also really like the zig pens.
First Trip May 2004:All Stars Movies - Engagement Trip September 2005:Best Western Movieland & All Stars Movies - First F&W as well as MNSSHP September 2006:Port Orleans French Quarters - Honeymoon October 2007:Sandals Royal Bahamian & Animal Kingdom Lodge - DVC Buying Trip August 2008:POP Century - Our first cruise and MVMCP December 2009:Caraibbean Beach and the Magic - Liam's First WDW Trip December 2011:Poly and Kidani Village - Liam's First Cruise April 2012: Western Caribbean on the Fantasy - Blaire's First WDW Trip October 2012:All Stars Movies - Lexie's First WDW Trip March 2014:Bay Lake Towers

Lanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #15
Schachteles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmom2000 View Post
Go with the ATG! I highly recommend the ATG. A few friends and I ordered a case of refills from findtape.com. We paid $43 each for 36 rolls. Best way to to EVER!

I do use Zig pens for the small stuff. I have another pen type one that I use too, but I can't remember the name of it.

I too have a container of adhesives - ATG, Zig pens, glue dots, glue lines, dimensionals, etc.
That is a FANTASTIC price for the ATG, can you send me a link??

Schachteles is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: