Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #61
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy'slady View Post
A little back ground on my story. I'm currently 34 yrs old and I'm a divorced mum of two girls. I'm also in a relationship with my boyfriend and we plan to marry next May and when that time comes I would have had another birthday and would have turned 35. My boyfriend is also divorced and has a son who we get every other weekend, however he is a few yrs younger than I. Not much but a few. Well, his family can't stand the idea of him marrying me because they say that I'm to old and not to mention we both have a sneaky suspicion they don't like the idea that my skin is carmel - in other words I'm a woman of color. I don't feel old and I certainly don't look old or my age. I'm constanly being mistaken for someone in thier late 20's.

I'm proud of my age and of myself but lately I've been starting to feel like my ship may have sailed/passed on the whole remarriage thing strickly based on what others may think. Do you think there is a certain age where perhaps one is to old to remarry?
Oh, hell, to the NO!

To answer your question, you are not too old to marry, remarry, whatever. If his family has a problem with you, that's their problem. If you two are OK with your situation and the kids get along, go for it!

minniecarousel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #62
meredith1
DIS Veteran

My H and I have been married six years and this is our first marriage-neither married prior. I was 35 and my H was 39 when we married. I was 37 with our first child and 39 with our twins.

Congrats hon...enjoy this time if you think this man is the one. : )

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #63
taylor3297
DIS Veteran

Quote:
William is 30 and I am 34
I didn't get married for the first time until I was 34. Now get this my husband was 24 at the time we got married. I am 9 years and 9 months older than him. His parents didn't want us to get married either. They said they liked me ok, but I was too old for him and my biological clock was ticking. My family said if you are happy that is all the matters.

Fast forward to today. We have been married for 12 years, have 2 wonderful kids and still as happy as we were when we got married.

You need to do what is best for you and your kids.

As to being a woman of color, now that shouldn't have anything to do with anything. As a great man once said, folks should be judged by their character not the color of their skin.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #64
low-key
DIS Veteran

your way to old, you need to get a job as a walmart greeter
Old 09-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #65
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #66
Goofy'slady
Life is short so I save for Disney trips and Coach purses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-key View Post
i know right. i'll like handing out the smiley face stickers to all the kids.

Me, BF, DD14, DD7
Goofy'slady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #67
Owlpost23
Mouseketeer

The world needs more happy people in it.Marry your love and be joyous!
Owlpost23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #68
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
A little back ground on my story. I'm currently 34 yrs old and I'm a divorced mum of two girls. I'm also in a relationship with my boyfriend and we plan to marry next May and when that time comes I would have had another birthday and would have turned 35. My boyfriend is also divorced and has a son who we get every other weekend, however he is a few yrs younger than I. Not much but a few. Well, his family can't stand the idea of him marrying me because they say that I'm to old and not to mention we both have a sneaky suspicion they don't like the idea that my skin is carmel - in other words I'm a woman of color. I don't feel old and I certainly don't look old or my age. I'm constanly being mistaken for someone in thier late 20's.

I'm proud of my age and of myself but lately I've been starting to feel like my ship may have sailed/passed on the whole remarriage thing strickly based on what others may think. Do you think there is a certain age where perhaps one is to old to remarry?
Hogwash, and in your case you still have more than half your life ahead of you. Your boyfriend's family may "think" you're too old for HIM, but that's their problem not yours - same for your other suspicion. Go live your life as you see fit
Old 09-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #69
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Oh that is total bull! Love comes at any age and stage. Best of luck to you!
Old 09-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #70
karriemouse
Official Disney Cruise Addict

Location: Manchester, UK or Windsor Hills, Orlando or on a plane between the two!

Quote:
Do you think there is a certain age where perhaps one is to old to remarry?
Absolutely NOT! Love doesn't stop based on age, skin colour or anything - life is too short and too fragile not to follow your heart, be with the man you love, and build the future together that you both want.

I'm so sorry your future in-laws can't see that but that's their loss. Shame you are so far away as I'm having a really bad day today and I'd take great satisfaction in pointing that out to them!!

Oh, and the dress you have chosen is absolutely gorgeous - remember it's yours and your fiance's day, and all that matters is making it the day you both want.

I wish you all the best for your wedding day, and the rest of your lives together.

Me DH DD(20) DD(15)
karriemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #71
Purple Nightshade
Mouseketeer

I was married last year just 3 days shy of my 52nd birthday. My dh was 57. So no you aren't to old to remarry.
Purple Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #72
bedillamouse
Mouseketeer

Are you worried that you are 4 years older than him?? If not then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Yes it would be nice to have his mom not care either but it does sound like maybe no woman is good enough for him (you said she didn't like his first wife either). Really if the situation was reversed and he was 4 years older than you ...there would not be any mention about age at all!!! Ridiculous to think that just because you are a female and you are the "older" one that it makes your marriage objectionable.

Your dress is beautiful!!! And I think it is so sweet that your to be husband wants to see you in a wedding dress and watch you walk down the aisle towards him!!

Try not to beat yourself up!! There is NOTHING wrong with you ...the problem lies with your BF's mother's old fashioned beliefs!!!

DH DD9 DD7
bedillamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #73
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan4Me View Post
My Mom's 2nd marriage , she was 70
My Mom was about 60 when she got remarried so OP you are NOT too old.

Stop listening to everyone else. If you love this man and he loves you age shouldn't matter.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #74
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I actually think you are very young to be getting married for the second time!
That's exactly what I was thinking!!

Gosh, you're ONLY 35 years old! I consider that young, lol!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train

Currently reading: #34 Big Little Lies

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #75
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

By the way, I LOOOOOOVE your dress!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy, #32 The Girl You Left Behind, #33 Orphan Train

Currently reading: #34 Big Little Lies

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: