Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #31
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee33lyn View Post
Does anybody know where the gate is for the early entry hotel quest, based on the map? Trying to get a battle plan for hitting the houses.
This is our first HHN.
thanks in advance Leebo
It's to the right of the main gate. There are signs telling you where to enter.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #32
xApril
DIS Veteran

Just as a sidenote, they now have a path open along the lagoon, so you can cut from New York to Hollywood by Mel's. No more walking around the entire park. Saves your energy for walking to the house entrances.
xApril is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #33
KigerKat
DIS Veteran

Can you guys tell us what other US attractions are open for the event? I saw a list from last year, but I don't think anything was confirmed for this year.

Thanks!

Previous Trips:
October 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
August 2010 - Pop Century
May 2011 - Pop Century
December 2011 - DL (off site)
May 2012 - Pop Century
August 2012 - Pop Century
September 2012 - Saratoga Springs
November 2012 - Art of Animation
May 2013 - Pop Century
June 2013 - Art of Animation
September 2013 - Coronado Springs
KigerKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #34
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KigerKat View Post
Can you guys tell us what other US attractions are open for the event? I saw a list from last year, but I don't think anything was confirmed for this year.

Thanks!
Despicable Me, MIB, Rockit, The Simpsons and Revenge of the Mummy.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:35 PM   #35
schumigirl
I`ve bought one of those for this year....it`s in fuscia pink though......You`ll be able to see me from the air
It`s a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts

Location: Originally Scotland, Now in Cleveland, NE England, UK

Thanks for the review MW.....sorry you got so wet! I wouldn`t have hung around in that weather.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your visits, look forward to hearing about them
AUG 2009 2 WEEKS RPR
OCT 2010 2 WEEKS RPR & HHN
AUG 2011 2 WEEKS RPR
JULY 2012 17 NIGHTS RPR
APRIL 2013 WEEK IN NEW YORK
SEPT 2013...17 NIGHTS RPR &HHN
MAY 2014.....2 WEEKS IN NEW YORK
SEPTEMBER 2014....18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
schumigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:26 PM   #36
PammyK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xApril View Post
Just as a sidenote, they now have a path open along the lagoon, so you can cut from New York to Hollywood by Mel's. No more walking around the entire park. Saves your energy for walking to the house entrances.
Thank goodness! It was a little ridiculous to have to loop all the way back to the main entrance area!
Old 09-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #37
PammyK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro West View Post
Hey gang...

Just spent another fun time at HHN opening night and although it rained the whole night, I enjoyed myself. Here goes...

This year, the houses have VERY LONG queues...much longer than in the past.

Here are my opinions on the houses from best to worst:
  • 1. Gothic - themeing was excellent...scares were good.
  • 2. The Walking Dead - great house...themeing was great...excellent scares.
  • 3. Dead End - themeing was excellent...scares were excellent as well.
  • 4. Silent Hill - great themeing...good scares...could have been better.
  • 5. House of Horrors - mostly black lit but good scares and you DO crouch down but only for a couple of minutes.
  • 6. P & T New(KD) Vegas - not much of a fan of theirs but still entertaining. It's more of a fun house type atmosphere than really scary. Still...the scares were decent.
  • 7. Alice Cooper - just wasn't impressed by this house...random scenes that made no sense.

So to sum it up...all houses were enjoyable to me except Alice Cooper but maybe it will get better as the event wears on. This is also the first year that I've had all the houses done the first weekend...in recent memory.

I do not know if they did the lagoon show but I heard fireworks when I got home so maybe they did.

Unfortunately because of the rain, not many scareactors were running around the streets tonight so that was a let down.

The one thing I noticed that was different from previous years was the length of the queues. They are much longer this year than I've ever seen them. Some were the same but several (House of Horrors, Gothic and Dead End) were super long. So get ready to walk a LOT at HHN.

I'll probably go back tomorrow night for a while and do some of the houses again but I wanted to share my experience with you all.

If you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer.
Hi Metro,

Had somewhat similar experiences to you on Friday night. In fact, I was in Cat 457, so we must have arrived around the same time, though I headed over to IOA to relax at Backwater before heading over to HHN. I'm glad we did because we were warm and cozy at Backwater during the worst of the rain. Mind you, we still were pretty dang soggy by the time we left, but it could have been worse.

Completely agree with you about the queues - they are looooonnngg - almost deceptively so - with many unexpected corners and curves. But hey, you won't have to feel guilty if you skip the gym on a day you're visiting HHN because all the walking will definitely make up for any missed workouts.

I'm in agreement with your top and bottom houses, though I might switch around the middle houses just a bit. As someone who only caught the HHN bug 2 years ago, I don't have the same history as some of you, but I really felt that all the houses, with the exception of Alice Cooper's Welcome To My Nightmare, were extremely well done.

I think someone else suggested a similarity between Cooper's house and the Poe house from last year. Here's the thing though. Even if you didn't know Poe's stories to figure out what the different scenes represented, there was still an overarching theme of Poe's descent into madness that held the house together. I didn't see that in Cooper's house so it just seemed a mish-mash of random things that really weren't all that frightening. Perhaps there are connections to Cooper's music that I am unfamiliar with that might help make the house more coherent, but for me, it was the most disappointing house.

Bill & Ted was more enjoyable than last year but some references did seem obscure to me. Might be because of my age though. Was really happy that the annoying Great Gazoo alien dude did not make an appearance (name hidden for those who want to avoid spoilers).

Oh, and I was really happy to see that they addressed one of my biggest complaints from last year - the poorly fitting, overly fake looking masks and prosthetics that most of the house scareactors wore last year. While this year still had a lot of masks/prosthetic pieces, costuming and cosmetology did a MUCH better job of seamlessly blending makeup and masks to make the characters feel more realistic and less "oh look, there is an actor with a big shiney piece of plastic over his/her face" like it did last year. So kudos to them for that as I think it really enhances the atmosphere of the houses.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #38
Laurabearz
I cant load my bobbin!
three kids keep me hopping
I was Grunge before Grunge was Grunge

Hot for Danny DeVito!

Location: 4.53 miles from PatrickIL' s house (would rather live by Universal to see if the Mummy ride will be open before May 21st!)

Great Report Metro! Gosh I wish I was going this year!!

Sigh... maybe next year!!
1/02 OKW 4/02 Offsite 5/02 BC/Poly 8/02 The Plaza NYC 9/02 BWV/RPR 10/02 HHI GV 12/02 OKW 9/03 VWL 11/03 BWV2/04 OKW/VB5/04 BWV/HRH6/04 HHI 10/04 BCV1/05 OKW 6/05 HHI 9/05 CR/Wonder 12/05 HRH/BWV 5/06 DLR 6/06 BWV 7/06 HHI 10/06 BWV/HRH 11/06OKW/RPR4/07 SSR 7/07 HHI 10/07 OKW/Magic/VWL 12/07 OKW 6/08 DLH 8/08 OKW/HRH10/08 BWV/RPR11/08 OKW/POP2/09 YC/RPR3/09 SSR 6/09 HHI 8/09 RPR/AKVJ/BWV/ASMo10/09 RPR2/10 FWCabins 4/10 BWV08/10 RPR/OKW10/10 BWV1/11 SSR 1/11BCV6/11 RPR/BCV11/11 BCV/AKJSAV 1/12 AKJSAV
On the Horizon HHI 6/12

Universal Orlando is Disney's Best Kept Secret!
Laurabearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:01 AM   #39
crathy21
Earning My Ears

Need help in planning US rides & HHN event (have never been to US before).

My husband LOVE haunted houses so I bought him tickets to HHN since we will be at Disney the week of October 7th. Since we have never been the Universal I would like to try at least a couple of the rides. Do you have any suggestions on how to best work in a couple of rides between haunted houses? I know we won't be able to make it thru everything in one night but would like to do a little of both (rides & houses). Regarding rides I would like to try Despicable ME, MIB and The Simpsons.

Thanks for any input!

Cathy
crathy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #40
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

thanks todd seems the crowds are forming earlier at Finnegans.

Alice fan here. For those not familiar with his music, thought i'd throw this out. Have read elsewhere that this house follows one of Alice's recurring characters' evolution thru his music over the years - Steven. btw, Alice tends to rarely spell out the specific origins/meanings of his songs, although mental instability and child and spousal abuse are prevalant. There are several theories out there as to exactly why Steven is such an unstable, totured soul, all rather disturbing and definitely fodder for a creepy house.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:53 PM   #41
TheRealDrDisney
Mouseketeer

Thanks Metro - good stuff as always!

Once in the houses - did you feel rushed or were you able to walk slowly and take it all in?

I've had both experiences in the past - and the ubiquitous presence of Uni TM's standing in every corner with a flashlight saying "move along" definitely took some of the fun out of it for me...
TheRealDrDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #42
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDrDisney View Post
Once in the houses - did you feel rushed or were you able to walk slowly and take it all in?

I've had both experiences in the past - and the ubiquitous presence of Uni TM's standing in every corner with a flashlight saying "move along" definitely took some of the fun out of it for me...
Since it rained all night I didn't feel rushed or crowded at all...which was good but I wish it hadn't rained all night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
thanks todd seems the crowds are forming earlier at Finnegans.
Yes Janet plus having one entrance and exit into/out of the holding area didn't help. I hadn't seen a line like that for Finnegan's in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crathy21 View Post
My husband LOVE haunted houses so I bought him tickets to HHN since we will be at Disney the week of October 7th. Since we have never been the Universal I would like to try at least a couple of the rides. Do you have any suggestions on how to best work in a couple of rides between haunted houses? I know we won't be able to make it thru everything in one night but would like to do a little of both (rides & houses). Regarding rides I would like to try Despicable ME, MIB and The Simpsons.

Thanks for any input!

Cathy
I would suggest picking out which rides and houses you are hoping to do and then plan your night around those.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #43
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Yes Janet plus having one entrance and exit into/out of the holding area didn't help. I hadn't seen a line like that for Finnegan's in years.

just to plan appropriately, which door is open...bar facing mummy or the restaurant one facing blue bros area?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #44
Metro West
Proud Redhead
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow View Post
just to plan appropriately, which door is open...bar facing mummy or the restaurant one facing blue bros area?
Both doors were open but for some reason everyone seemed to go to the door facing the holding area.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #45
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Both doors were open but for some reason everyone seemed to go to the door facing the holding area.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: