Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #31
DarthTod
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4fun View Post
Has anyone ever been on a ship in a really bad storm? What was it like?
Been in a few, of course the ship I was on was a little smaller, and considerably less luxurious. Hit one off of Cape Hatteras, had waves crashing up over the bridge wings. All outer decks were closed, 'cause if you got swept off by a wave, there was not a chance in heck of recovery. Ended up pulling extra watches as about a third of the crew was incapacitated by seasickness.

But there is something strangely beautiful about the power of the sea in those conditions too. You can't help but marvel when a wave broadsides the ship and literally shifts it off course by 3-5 degrees. Those are the days that you appreciate the helm having a chair and a seatbelt. Also makes you appreciate a bottom rack in the berthing compartment, big difference between a one foot drop and a six foot drop when you get flung out. (And yes, we had straps, but the were at about chest level, and tended to just set a body spinning on the way out under those conditions.)
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #32
bobbie0253
Mouseketeer

I was on a NCL ship when the seas were so bad it blew out glass doors in the atrium area. We were drinking, so I didn't really notice a difference is what the cruise actually felt like at that point. (Cruise alone with my mom... I hated NCL... so we ended up pretty much just in the club every night)

We were also on a RCCL ship docked in Bermuda when a HUGE storm came in. We actually ended up stuck there another night because it wasn't safe to leave. The ship suffered no damage.
RCCL: Adventure 2-2003 Enchantment 3-2003 Majesty 5-2003 Adventure 9-2003 Sovereign 11-2003 Sovereign 1-2004 Grandeur 3-2004 Voyager 5-2004 Jewel 1-2005 Majesty 2-2005 Voyager 10-2005 Navigator 2-2006 Explorer 5-2006 Mariner 10-2006 Serenade 4-2007 Sovereign 9-2008 Jewel 11-2011
Princess: Grand 10-2004
NCL: Dawn 10-2006
Disney: Magic 9-2009
Carnival: Inspiration 1-2000 Sensation 5-2010
bobbie0253 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #33
carpenta
DIS Veteran

We were on the Magic in the Med. off the coast of France (2010) when we were hit with a storm. Gale force winds hit the ship sideways and the water came out of the pools and ran down the stairwells. Waves were crashing over the 5th deck and the swells were making most sick. The captain keept coming on th P.A. to reassure the stability of the ship. We rode the storm for about 3 hours until we got close to shore. The storm was not forcasted as bad as it was suppose to be and the captain apologized. Don't worry the ships cn take a beatin' but keeps on sailin'.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #34
NC_Tink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenta View Post
We were on the Magic in the Med. off the coast of France (2010) when we were hit with a storm. Gale force winds hit the ship sideways and the water came out of the pools and ran down the stairwells. Waves were crashing over the 5th deck and the swells were making most sick. The captain keept coming on th P.A. to reassure the stability of the ship. We rode the storm for about 3 hours until we got close to shore. The storm was not forcasted as bad as it was suppose to be and the captain apologized. Don't worry the ships cn take a beatin' but keeps on sailin'.
We were on this cruise too! Craziest thing was that the fire doors outside of Sessions wouldn't stay open because the ship was listing so heavily. I remember those alarms from the doors were very loud. My kids were actually sleeping in two of those large portholes just outside of Sessions , and how they managed to sleep with that constant noise is beyond me - but Dramamine probably has something to do with it Those fire doors would slide shut, a CM would come along and try to pry them open - they even tried to wedge a block under to keep the doors open - but to no avail they just wanted to stay shut. I remember several of the CMs stating that they had never seen the ship list that much. It was a wild ride, one we'll never forget and talk about every so often. Definitely made the trip even more memorable!

2013 (Fantasy - Eastern Caribbean), 2011 (off-site); 2010 (Magic - Mediterranean), 2009 (Magic - Western Caribbean), 2008 (CBR), 2007 (Poly, Wonder - 4 day & AKL), 2005 (AKL), 2005 RCCL, 2004 (off-site) & (Poly & AKL), 2002 (off-site), 2001 (off-site), 1997 RCCL, 1993 (off-site), MK - several times prior to 1980
NC_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:53 PM   #35
mom4fun
DIS Veteran

Maybe we will get some good storm stories this week. ha ha.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #36
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Tink View Post
We were on this cruise too! Craziest thing was that the fire doors outside of Sessions wouldn't stay open because the ship was listing so heavily. I remember those alarms from the doors were very loud. My kids were actually sleeping in two of those large portholes just outside of Sessions , and how they managed to sleep with that constant noise is beyond me - but Dramamine probably has something to do with it Those fire doors would slide shut, a CM would come along and try to pry them open - they even tried to wedge a block under to keep the doors open - but to no avail they just wanted to stay shut. I remember several of the CMs stating that they had never seen the ship list that much. It was a wild ride, one we'll never forget and talk about every so often. Definitely made the trip even more memorable!
Yea it WAS a wild one. At lunch we had the run of Cabannas. Our daughter went to the kids club and a couple of them timed the swells so when they jumped up the ship dropped out and she said it was like hanging in mid-air. We have been caught out in our sailboat a few times in fast upshot storms but that one really was fun. I' can't imagine trying to clean up the ship after that one but the crew was great.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #37
castaway3
Second star to the right

We were on the Disney Wonder during Hurricane Katrina We had 40ft. seas and they had to drain the pools and stopped all access on decks. The Captain did real good avoiding what he could they switched our days around and we had a sea day when we should have been in port. We didn't have many people in the dining room either there was a lot of sick people...my son kept asking me where everybody was going at dinner as our glasses of water went side to side LOL...I just told him that they were all tired...we were at no time worried because Disney always kept the safety of the passengers in mind and we had a great cruise
Old 10-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #38
SnipsNSnails
DIS Veteran

I can only remember once when the ship was moving pretty good but it doesn't sound anything like what some of you have experienced. Once on a Carnival cruise we could see a water spout and storm a few miles off even though the sun was shining where we were. The captain really sped the ship up to get us out of there once the water spout was spotted. I know we have pictures somewhere.

7/1996 - CBR, 12/1998 - BC, 12/2008 - Pop DDP, 9/2011 - CBR DDP, 2/2013 - DCL Magic, 6/2013 - DL BWPPI
4 Generations Do WDW - Sept 2011 Trip Report
SnipsNSnails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #39
nhgirl
Mouseketeer

Last summer on Magic leaving NYC on day one. It was my second cruise. Off the coast of MD there was a storm. The captain said the seas were 12 feet. I was glad I remembered to put my patch on in the terminal. Many people were sick. I laughed watching my husband walk down the hallway bouncing back and forth between the walls. We all decided to just go to bed at around 9. The rest of the cruise was smooth.
nhgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #40
BlakeandMaddysMomma
Mouseketeer

I'm getting sea sick just reading these stories!!! I have said I will be carrying and and all possible remedies for sea sickness with us when we go on the Fantasy in January! What shall I bring? I'm not too knowledgable in that department!!
BlakeandMaddysMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #41
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4fun View Post
Has anyone ever been on a ship in a really bad storm? What was it like?
So I've been told (on the Wonder) but slept right through it. Good thing, it sounded quite rough and loud!

At least we weren't on this cruise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkoylJdPPLM

Last edited by over50visits; 10-25-2012 at 10:27 PM.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #42
mom4fun
DIS Veteran

I thought I might resurrect this post for fall storm season. There is a lot of good advice if you are facing rough waters.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #43
Coldflame
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillgunter View Post
The most thing that bothers me is trying to go to sleep when the boat is rocking bad.
That's two of us. I actually don't mind much at all while I'm awake, but when I'm tired and ready to hit the hay, it's supremely annoying having the boat rock you from side to side and that up and down sensation in your stomach. Ugh.
Coldflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:54 PM   #44
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #45
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Location: London England UK Why is Cinderella such a lousy football player? Because she has a pumpkin for a coach.

Castaway Cay today,

No storm in sight.

image by Andrew D Porter, on Flickr
* Disney Magic -
July 2014 12 Night Med + Greece.
* Disney Wonder - August 2013 Lots of photos Alaska and full navigators, -In 'The Walt' photo thread here,
* Disney Fantasy - Back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
* Disney Magic - 8 cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 & 15 night Panama, & 7 night Caribbean.
Other lines inc RCI and Princess.Next, Disney Magic 12 night Northern Europe 2015.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: