Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
Soupermom
DIS Veteran

I just purchased the Canon SX40 to replace my 3SIS and I LOVE IT! It was $350 on Amazon. A smidge bigger than my 3S, which I easily carried around WDW, but still fits in the same bag.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupermom View Post
I just purchased the Canon SX40 to replace my 3SIS and I LOVE IT! It was $350 on Amazon. A smidge bigger than my 3S, which I easily carried around WDW, but still fits in the same bag.
just wondering...have you had any issues with the battery life? i understand the proprietary battery pack can be a bit of a pain (as compared to just popping in fresh AAs), especially when traveling. i'm researching P&S cameras myself, hopefully to buy one in the next day or two.
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #18
hakepb
DIS Veteran

I know on my Sony HX30, I bought 2 spare generic batteries plus an AC/DC charger for a grand total of $11 on Amazon. so I never have to worry about being without a charged battery. For most days at Disney, I never needed the backup.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #19
TexasMouseFan
Mouseketeer

I am looking for a new camera to take with me on the DCL Mediterranean cruise next year. I figure there will be lots of opportunities for indoors photos. Plus, I am sure there will be some beautiful landscapes and architecture to photograph. Do you think the RX100 would be a good solution for both situations?

Plus, to justify the cost I will need to make sure the camera is a good choice for photographing my kids. Has anyone used the RX100 for gymnasium pictures...like volleyball and basketball? Do you think the sports mode will capture the action with the challenging gym lighting? TIA!!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #20
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMouseFan View Post
I am looking for a new camera to take with me on the DCL Mediterranean cruise next year. I figure there will be lots of opportunities for indoors photos. Plus, I am sure there will be some beautiful landscapes and architecture to photograph. Do you think the RX100 would be a good solution for both situations?

Plus, to justify the cost I will need to make sure the camera is a good choice for photographing my kids. Has anyone used the RX100 for gymnasium pictures...like volleyball and basketball? Do you think the sports mode will capture the action with the challenging gym lighting? TIA!!
Yes to all if the above. I used the sports mode and speed priority to photograph the kids doing Tae Kwon Do. Captured them in mid jump, mid kick, etc.

The zoom won't be great in those gymnasium settings, so you may have to crop.

Some landscapes and architecture:

DSC02665.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

Sunnyside-28.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

DSC02647.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

Sunnyside-2.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

Haunted Mansion by Havoc315, on Flickr

Sunnyside-55.jpg by Havoc315, on Flickr

Last edited by havoc315; 09-24-2012 at 09:51 PM.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #21
hakepb
DIS Veteran

The only think that would make me question the RX100 for "capturing the action" in gymnastics and basketball, is the limited zoom reach.
The RX100 low light / high ISO capability is otherwise as good or better than othe point and shoot cameras.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #22
TexasMouseFan
Mouseketeer

Yikes! Life just cannot be that easy can it? I want the zoom and the low light capabilities. Just what is that 'perfect' camera? Is there such a thing without carrying a bag of cameras and lenses?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 PM   #23
hakepb
DIS Veteran

For low light at extended zoom reaches, the Panasonic FZ200 has a constant aperature f/2.8 out to a 600mm equivilent. It is a bridge style camera so it is more bulky than the RX100. (But much less bulky than the extra $1000+ in DSLr gear you would need to get anything better)

In between the FZ200 and the RX100, the Nikon S7700 looks interesting with f/4 at 200mm with its enthusiast sized sensor.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #24
Soupermom
DIS Veteran

I haven't had issue with the battery of my SX40. I purchased a second battery (2 actually) and a car/universal charger when I ordered the camera (also from Amazon, very inexpensive). I think the battery pack lasts as long as the 4 AAs my 3SIS took and its so easy to just pop in one replacement!
Old 09-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #25
momof1princess

Quote:
I haven't had issue with the battery of my SX40. I purchased a second battery (2 actually) and a car/universal charger when I ordered the camera (also from Amazon, very inexpensive). I think the battery pack lasts as long as the 4 AAs my 3SIS took and its so easy to just pop in one replacement!
do you have any photos you could post? i'd love to see them!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:14 AM   #26
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
do you have any photos you could post? i'd love to see them!
Not Soupermom, but here is my sample SX40 album. Keep in mind, I do like to edit my photos. So, not necessarily straight out of the camera.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y71...anon%20SX40IS/

And, as far as battery life, I have had no issues. I did pick up a spare battery from B&H. Cost under $10 if I can remember correctly. Also, Amazon is another good place to look.

Love my SX40!!

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #27
momof1princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom2 View Post
Not Soupermom, but here is my sample SX40 album. Keep in mind, I do like to edit my photos. So, not necessarily straight out of the camera.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y71...anon%20SX40IS/

And, as far as battery life, I have had no issues. I did pick up a spare battery from B&H. Cost under $10 if I can remember correctly. Also, Amazon is another good place to look.

Love my SX40!!
WOW! those are GORGEOUS! especially love the one from death row at eastern state pen. that place is super creepy, and i've always wanted to explore it. i would like to see some unedited photos, if you have any. the SX40 is on my short list.

oh WOW! look at that space shuttle! LOVE it! OoOoOo love the moon too! it would be so awesome to be able to take photos like that through DD15's telescope!
Old 09-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #28
wdwmom2
It's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow
Hopefully the Disney magic will kick in
my co-workers made me bath in Scope mouth wash
Fractured Prune is like donut Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
WOW! those are GORGEOUS! especially love the one from death row at eastern state pen. that place is super creepy, and i've always wanted to explore it. i would like to see some unedited photos, if you have any. the SX40 is on my short list.

oh WOW! look at that space shuttle! LOVE it! OoOoOo love the moon too! it would be so awesome to be able to take photos like that through DD15's telescope!
At work now, I will make an unedited album. Give me a day or two and I will post one.

Glad you enjoyed!!!

wdwmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #29
Soupermom
DIS Veteran

I do have some great photos to share, but haven't set up an online account yet so I can post to the DIS. Hope to get that set up in the next week or two!
Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #30
momof1princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom2 View Post
At work now, I will make an unedited album. Give me a day or two and I will post one.

Glad you enjoyed!!!
Quote:
I do have some great photos to share, but haven't set up an online account yet so I can post to the DIS. Hope to get that set up in the next week or two!
thank you both! i can't wait to see them!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: