Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #31
smcabee
Boomer Sooner

Love Aldis soups and fruits and veggies.
smcabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:09 PM   #32
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
No. I went to my local Aldi hoping to pick up a few cans of beans but when I read the label and saw what was in them I turned around and walked out, haven't been back since.
I bougt a can of black beans in Aldis today, and compared it to the brand name of the same thing in my pantry. The ingredients are identical.
Pigeon is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #33
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymarie View Post
Aldi is a German owned company. There are so many uality items there and great buys. You can't beat the lg cheese pizza, cookies, cream cheese, Arizona tea is 25%cheaper. There are some things I won't buy, like the one pk of hot dogs I tried, but tools, bread, bagels, pittas, sandwich grain rounds, have been inexpensive and great.

My son works as security there and this is one of he greatest money maker stores in the franchise. Things I swear by, like pizza, and some things I don't. Flyer has a great section in the center isle for bargin buys!

I have found storage shelves, generators, even my folding cane for$9.99
We got one of those large cheese pizzas at Aldi a while back and I agree, it was very good and pretty cheap! Can't beat that!
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #34
BeachLove
Mouseketeer

I know one person who shops at Aldi. He only goes when money is tight and he seems to still be around. He does say to check expiration dates really carefully Now me, I don't shop at Aldi. I guess I don't like saving money on food and just go the the nearest, cleanest grocery store. I've got a whole foods and Harris Teeter within walking distance. Along with a farmers market on weekends. Works for me.

I've never seen a save-a-lot.
BeachLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #35
Soben
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk1959 View Post
I just learned about this product this week! Someone was telling me how good it was, so I asked at my Aldi's when I went in and was told that although our Aldi's (small town) stopped carrying the product to check at other Aldi's in larger towns and they may still stock it. So either she didn't know that they stopped making it or it is still available at other places?!
It's been gone here for almost a year I would guess. If you find something like it, let me know!
Soben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #36
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

I love Aldi! I buy most of my staples there. I am also a couponer, but I live in the land of no double coupons, so sometimes Aldi is still cheaper. Some things I can usually get cheaper with stacking coupons and comparing sales at Publix (such as name brand cereal or crackers).

I just shopped at Aldi today. I like their "Light and Fit" (or whatever it's called) healthy selection. Here's some of the stuff I got that I like:

- Chicken breasts (1.99 lb at Aldi, 2.99 or more at Publix)
- 93/7 ground turkey
- canned beans, diced tomatoes, cream of chicken/mushroom soups (the healthy versions of these at Aldi are great. Low fat/lower sodium. They are 49 or 59c/can vs. 99c at Publix)
- frozen vegetables
- canned chicken breast
- tortilla chips and pretzels
- some produce (huge bags of potatoes, onions, and apples for cheap! Quality has always been good). Today I got potatoes, onions, kiwi, celery, tomatoes, apples, green pepper, spinach, romaine salad
- whole grain bread (if bread isn't on sale at Publix that week)
- Shredded and sliced cheese (sometimes I can get it cheaper at Publix with stacking coupons)
- Big bag of prewashed spinach leaves
- Popsicles (not the greatest but ok when there is not a sale at Publix)
- refried beans, Rotel (Aldi brand of course)
- taco shells and tortillas

We have found the quality of the food to be excellent. Like any store brand anywhere, some things may not be to everyone's taste. We have had good experiences with the meat and produce in terms of quality. Our Publix stores' produce and meat is incredibly expensive, and the produce quality there is not very good. The only thing at Aldi we tried and didn't love was the ice cream.

Florida residents!
AmericangirlinFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #37
itutorfortravel
I tutor high school math to pay for my travel addiction!

I absolutely love Aldi! I've just recently gotten hooked on that store and DH makes fun of me because everytime we have something new he asks where it's from and the answer is always the same...Aldi!

Here are a couple favorites of mine:

Lunch Mate Oven Roasted Turkey Breast - THICK sliced is only 10% sodium!
Greek Yogurt - Pineapple - I always buy at least a dozen when I go - LOVE it!
Egg Whites
Oven Roasted Unsalted Whole Almonds

I could go on and on...I feel like I get a good deal without having to use coupons which take too much time for me. And it's convenient to go there from work for me.
itutorfortravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #38
msmama
DIS Veteran

I happened to run out of all baking supplies at the same time (flour, sugar, oil, baking soda/powder, etc). I thought it would be a great idea to stock up at Aldi's!!

VERY WRONG!!!

I spent probably double what I would at the normal grocery story (a 5 lb bag of flour was $5). There's also only one size of everything, so no comparison shopping.

It's good for some stuff, not others, is what I've found. Because it's not as convenient as my regular grocery store, it's not worth it to me.

Long story short (too late) - it depends on what kind of shopper you are. I also think it vary's greatly by location. That said, I think it's worth checking out a time or two!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #39
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

I think costco is the best place to buy flour and sugar. I was shocked at how cheap it was. Of course, that only works if you have room to store/freeze a costco size package.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #40
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran

In our area, and for what I regularly purchase, Wegman's has always been my go-to store. I started last year getting just a few items at Aldi's, and every week the amount increases as I try more of their stuff! Now I am at around 75% Aldi and 25% Wegmans and saving like crazy.
A few months ago Aldi's had newspaper coupons--I think it was get $10 off a $50 purchase or something. I filled up my cart (easily over $100 at Wegs), got to checkout, and it had only come to $49! I grabbed another item at checkout and redeemed my coupon...
I loveStitchnippyjon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: