Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
lilmrsellis
Wishing upon a star...

Aldi and Save-a-Lot?

Is it really worth it to shop at stores like Aldi and Save-a-Lot? Cheap isn't everything to me. A serious disparity in food quality is a no go.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

No. I went to my local Aldi hoping to pick up a few cans of beans but when I read the label and saw what was in them I turned around and walked out, haven't been back since.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I've loved most things I've gotten from Aldis and they have a double your money back policy if you don't like something.

Things I routinely buy include canned tomatoes, cereal, snacks, crackers, milk, eggs, pasta, rice, dried beans, tortillas, salsa, olive oil, baking supplies, basic spices, jello, black olives, pickles, ice cream, sour cream, yogurt, many paper products, cat litter, some baked goods. Their chocolate is to die for.

Occasionally, I get some produce. I haven't bought meat there because I haven't found it to be any cheaper than the sales at the grocery store.

It's not all natural or organic. I haven't found that their stuff has more additives or is nutritionally any different than conventional supermarket items.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

I shop ALDI and LIDL a lot and their basics like canned goods are very good value. I stock up on canned tomatoes, red beans, passata, pasta and rice. Nearly half the price of ASDA (Wal-Mart) and no quality issues as far as I'm concerned.
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Schmoodle
DIS Veteran

I've shopped Aldi for a few years now and I like it very much. I feel like I do save quite a bit, but that's not the only reason I shop there. I am very ADD/easily overwhelmed in super stores, and I love that I can be in and out of an Aldi's with my groceries in 20 minutes. I am very picky, and I have not had any problem with quality. There are a few things I've tried and not liked, but then I don't buy them again. As a matter of fact, I find some of their items to be of superior quality than similar name brands. I had to buy Nutrigrain cereal bars on a trip once, and the kids wouldn't eat them, not as good as Aldi's. Their chocolate is German and to-die-for. They now have their own brand of Nutella! I don't know what beans the PP was referring to, but I get cans of black beans there - no ingredients but beans, water, and salt. That's actually hard to find in a "regular" grocery store. I used to get their Anti-aging face cream and it was better than any super-expensive brand I'd used before. I got several complements on my skin! They stopped carrying it, and that's the problem with Aldi, you can really get hooked on things,and then they disappear. It's funny, people do seem to have an attitude about Aldi, like it's only for the desperately poor. Because it's so much classsier to shop at Walmart, you know! The parent company of Aldi also owns Trader Joe's, by the way. As they are an European company, you can find some really interesting products there sometimes.

I prefer to buy local, so I get my produce, meat, and dairy and eggs from local farms, and can't really vouch for that stuff but I am happy to get pretty much everything else at Aldi.

1974 - Family Camping Trip
January 1991 - Family Trip to Westgate Vacation Villas
May 1996 - Best Girlfriend's Trip, Vacation Villas at Fantasy World
July 1998 - Hottest Trip Ever! Parkway International Resort
December 2002 - Multi-Family Dance Trip to Sheraton Vistana Resort
December 2004 - Anthony and Gabbie's First Visit (Can't remember the name of the condo and don't want to try)
October 2008 - The Kids and I stay at Marrott Grande Vista
September 2009 - The Quest for Grownup Food and CSR (First On-Site) stay
January 2010 - Gabbie's Birthday Trip to Carribean Beach Resort and Wilderness Lodge
March 2010 - Sneaking away from work for a day at Epcot and the Boardwalk Inn
August 2011 - Cheating on Mickey Trip

Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

I used to shop at both, fairly regularly. They don't eliminate the need for a "regular" grocery store, but you can get a lot of basics and staples there.

I was more of an Aldi's shopper, but our Sav-A-Lot had better produce, and a slghtly different selection. Aldi's is their own brand of stuff. The only thing I remember not liking was their canned soups. It's worth a trip to go and try a few things, and see what you think. If nothing else, a monthly trip for things lilke flour and sugar would save you money. Just remember that you need to bring your own bags, and a quarter for your cart (which you getg back).

There's a new Aldi's being built near my DD's music school, that I'll go right by every week. I'm so excited--Aldi's is one of the things I really miss about where we used to live!
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

We buy a lot at Aldi. Stopped by the other night & got tiny grape tomatoes for 69 cents for the little basket. Oh, my, they were so good. And lettuce was only 49 cents a head. Good quality. I always go there to buy mayonnaise & bbq sauce. And I am a real mayo snob.....

Book Challenge Goal 80/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
jenny105
DIS Veteran

I love Aldi. We buy the majority of our groceries from there, even produce and meat. I'm still standing!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
baldy6060
Mouseketeer

I used to shop at ALDI but I always had to stop at another grocery store to pick up other things they don't carry so it was hardly worth making 2 stops especially when ALDI kept raising prices. I don't mind their canned foods, bread, some boxed and frozen foods but my rule was to never buy dairy products, meat or produce there. Strangely the best canned asparagus I ever had was from ALDI. I hate canned asparagus but it was delicious. Go figure.
baldy6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Soben
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post
They stopped carrying it, and that's the problem with Aldi, you can really get hooked on things,and then they disappear.
I miss the Waffernusse! It was a candy with wafers and hazelnut cream in between and covered in chocolate. So sad when they stopped making it.
Soben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
amberlynnhawkins
Missing WDW like CRAZY!!

Not everything is great, but I go there frequently for staples - my baking products, milk, eggs, cheese, bacon, snack foods, bread, frozen foods, bottled water, and many produce items. Milk alone is almost $1 cheaper. So are many baking items and eggs. Produce is usually about 1/2 price. The only things I've bought that I didn't like are the dishwasher detergent, toilet paper, and paper towels.
amberlynnhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

Aldi seems alright, I just don't usually go there because it is not convenient for me. Save-A-Lot just gives me the creeps.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

I shop 90% at my regular grocery store but love to stop in Aldi's. I have found a few things we like: spaghetti sauce in a jar, peanut snack bars, frozen oriental dinners, frozen fish, individual stuffed chicken breasts, toaster pastries, ice cream cones, OJ, produce (lettuce for 69 cents!), bread, butter, and frozen pizza in the brown box among other items. Some things I buy not just because they're cheaper but because they are actually delicious. I won't buy the ground beef or the frozen chicken breasts from there...I did once and that was enough.
ETA The pre-cooked bacon and spreadable cheese wedges are good too.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!

Last edited by njmom47; 09-22-2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Add'l info
njmom47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
4GoofyCrew
Mouseketeer

Funny you should ask - I just shopped at Aldis for the very first time today!

Once I got past figuring out how to 'rent' a cart things went pretty smoothly. I was more on an exploratory mission than anything but I did spend $15 and feel like I got ALOT for my money. It will be interesting to see how the quality compares to the (store brand) products I usually buy. They were definitely cheaper at Aldi (grated parmesan cheese, veggie chips, applesauce, fruit juice, etc.).

Oh, and for the skeptics...Aldis seemed high-end (CLEAN!!!) compared to our local Walmart!
01-2012 AS SPORTS Free DDP
Always dreaming about another trip!
4GoofyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
lilpig
Mouseketeer

I shop at Aldi's weekly. There are some things I don't buy, the things I do buy I LOVE!!! They have a salsa in the refrigerated section that is super yummy!! Oh and so is there hummus.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: