DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
Iceman93
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
As others have pointed out, using DVC points for DLP hotels is not really economical. I stayed recently at the Marriott Vacation Club which is about a 5 minute drive from the park. They have a shuttle (which has a bit of a strange time table) and there is a public bus, but you could also drive yourself (However, then there is a parking charge). The resort is very charming, a French country style and our villa was gorgeous. Might be worth looking into.

Here is the link: http://www.marriottvacationclub.com/...overview.shtml
That's where I stayed for a week, and we loved it. Close enough to Disney to be convenient, far enough away to feel like we were actually staying in France and not just "another Disney hotel anywhere in the world". The pool was great, as was the staff.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
lasob
Earning My Ears

We stayed in The Hotel New York which is the closest one in that complex. About a ten minute walk to the parks. It was a very unpleasant experience.

We were there in early April and the weather was beautiful. Upper 70's and sunny, quite warm for that time of year( we were told). The room was air conditioned and had a great view of the water and skating rink. After spending the day at the parks we went back to the room and it was about 82 degrees in the room. We attempted to turn on the air, no go. The first call to the front desk resulted in a repair man coming and essentially telling us that the air is not able to be turned on this time of year. Computerized or some such nonsense. The windows in our room did not open, as don't about half of the rooms. A second call to the front desk basically confirmed what we were told. Not sure why they didn't tell us that the first time.

In addition the beds are Murphy Beds, that in our case, only one was put down, the other locked away. That gave us more room, but we couldn't figure out why the put down the bed right next to the window, so that when we wanted to look out at the great view we had to sit on the bed, which was also not very comfortable. We could have had the other bed down and sat in chairs for the view. Not a big deal, but not logical.

When we went out in the evening to cool off, we were jealous of the rooms that had their windows wide open. It was an uncomfortable night between the warmth and bed.

We got a good deal on the room and the parks were fun. We did everything in both parks in two full days. It was not the least bit crowded, 5 min wait the max. It was mid week.

Have fun.
lasob is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #18
Chickkypoo
DIS Veteran

I stayed at the Sequoia Lodge on points back in '08. A couple things to consider are there is a $95 fee to use your pointing this way and park tickets are not included. In order for me to book using DVC points, I was told I had to purchase tickets equal to the number of days I was staying there.

I didn't find the resort to be too bad of a walk, you do have to go thru the downtown area to get to the parks. I do believe there is a bus though I didn't use it.

I really enjoyed the resort and found it quite pretty other than some issues with housekeeping.

Walt Disney World: Jan. 1987, Feb.2001, Nov. 2004, Sept./Oct. 2005, Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Dec. 2010/Jan. 2011, June 2011, June 2012, Dec. 2012, May 2013, May 2014, Sept. 2014, Nov. 2014
Disneyland: May 2008, Sept. 2010
Disneyland Paris: July 2008
Aulani: Nov. 2013
Hong Kong Disneyland and Tokyo Disney April 2015!
Disney Resorts I have stayed at: ASSp, ASMu, ASMo, POP, CSR, AKV-Jambo, AKV-Kidani, SSR, VWL, BCV, OKW, BLT, CBR, GCV, Sequoia Lodge (Paris), Aulani

Proud DVC Owner - The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Chickkypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #19
wendyt_ca
DIS Veteran

You no longer have to purchase park tickets to use DVC. We just stayed 2 nights and bought a 1 day pass on the site with a special.

HRH/GFV Sept 5-Sept 13, 2014/GCF/Vegas April 26-May 3, 2014/AKL SV(DVC)/BLT TPV(DVC) Oct 12-20, 2013 (Girl's Trip)/AOA/AKL SV(DVC) - May 12-20,2013 (1st Trip with little brother)/Townhouse condo off-site - Feb 13-20, 2013/AKL SV/BLT TPV (DVC) - Oct 3-9, 2012 / DLH Paris (DVC) - Sept 10-12, 2012 - London/Paris vacation/AKL(DVC) - April 21-29th, 2012(Girl's trip)/Split Stay - Poly TPV/AKL SV/CR MK View - Oct 11 - 19, 2011 /CBR Oct 31 - Nov 8, 2010 /The Venetian Las Vegas Sept 25 - 30, 2010 - First trip to Disneyland / CSR Nov 27 - Dec 8 2009 /POP June 15, 2008 - June 25, 2008 - Our Disney Honeymoon / Sheraton Vistana Sept 22, 2006-30, 2006 - First Trip/DH proposed during Wishes in Rose Garden
wendyt_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #20
edisneydreaming
Mouseketeer

Great to know that I don't have to get park tickets for every night we are there. I thought we did so that will help with the budget.
edisneydreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #21
kpatches
Mouseketeer

We just spent 4 nights at the Sequoia Lodge. We needed two rooms and it was 88 points for each room for a total of 176 points for our stay. Free continental breakfast was included. I believe you can book the rooms 6 months in advance. There was also a $95 transfer fee which covered the 2 rooms since they were on the same reservation. We were able to get 20 percent off our park tickets with our train pass. It is about a ten minute walk to the parks and they are right next to each other. Also Downtown Disney right outside of the parks and the train station is on the property also. We found everything to be very convenient.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #22
nyck
Mouseketeer

So glad I found this thread! I am booking 2 nights at DLP hotel and 2 nights on cash and thought I had to buy the passes when I booked the hotel with points. The amount of points doesn't bother me, I bought DVC to use on whatever I wanted to do period, not what is most economical. I don't want to have to worry about selling points or booking a vacation for someone else, contracts etc just to make money off something I bought to use.

nyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #23
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I'm a SoCal local and we go to DLR a few times a month. We also go to WDW at least once a year.

Is DL Paris worth it? We have 4 days in Paris in June and I'm on the fence as to whether to take the time to go. We've been to Paris a few times so sightseeing isn't a priority. I just don't want to spend the money & effort to get out there only to be disappointed.

For comparison, I was disappointed by the size of Tokyo Disney back in 1997 when I visited (haven't been back since, and haven't been to Disney Sea).

Thanks.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #24
zavandor
DIS Veteran

DLP is a very nice resort but it is run with very different standards than the US parks.
Many americans are disappointed by:
-it's not perfectly clean (but it's not dirty)
-you might have people smoke in the queue
-interaction with CM is not even comparable (and you can have the occasional rude one)
-peoplw can be rude (pushing and queues jumping)

But:
-the castle is lovely, the walkthough is better than WDW and DL
- there is a dragon under the castle
-Fantasyland is very very well done
-discoveryland (aka tomorrowland) is different (and better IMHO)
-BTMRR is the best version in the world
-cinemagique at the studios is a lovely show
-it has much more intense coasters than the US parks, if you like adrenaline
-it has some rides found only here
-there is Dreams. One of the most beautiful night shows ever created. Mostly on par with Fantasmic and World of Colors. It alone can be worth the ticket

As long as you know what to expect, DLP is worth a visit. To someone who has never visited Paris I would not suggest to dedicate a day to it, but in your case it can be worth.
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #25
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavandor View Post
DLP is a very nice resort but it is run with very different standards than the US parks.
-interaction with CM is not even comparable (and you can have the occasional rude one)

But:
-there is Dreams. One of the most beautiful night shows ever created. Mostly on par with Fantasmic and World of Colors. It alone can be worth the ticket

As long as you know what to expect, DLP is worth a visit. To someone who has never visited Paris I would not suggest to dedicate a day to it, but in your case it can be worth.
Thanks for the rundown. Sounds like a "skip" in my case. We're spoiled by WDW's wonderful CMs and although we frequent DLR, DLR's CMs pale in comparison to the customer service found at WDW. I don't want to go to Paris DL and get "mad". Smoking in line = gross.

I see you're "moving to London." OT, but got any family friendly restaurant recommendations for London? We'll be there in May. We're planning on generic/boring Pizza Express, Wagamama, Prezzo, but are looking for more unique family friendly places to eat in London. Thanks.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:08 AM   #26
zavandor
DIS Veteran

At the moment I leave in Rome, so I cannot suggest anything for London, yet :-)
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:02 AM   #27
nyck
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavandor

But:

And these are the reasons I am going! I love Wdw don't get me wrong, but life is about trying something new and DLP may not be as "perfect" as Wdw but I think it is worth trying. It is a different culture over there, and while we think smoking is gross, alot of countries think over eatting is gross too so it is what it is. I don't smoke and i eat way too much but i can live with the smoke for 4 days. The culture is different than here so I expect that. I will still have a great time.

nyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #28
tfc3rid
DIS Veteran

Agreed that Big Thunder is the best among the Disney Parks... Space Mountain's launch is similar to Rock n Roller Coaster and is a good ride... Crush's Coaster is pretty cool...

The prettiest Fantasyland in all of Disney Parks... The castle is very lovely and very photogenic.

tfc3rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #29
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran

Our daughter broke her foot the week before we left for France. Disney provided a wheelchair for the three days we were there. You DO NOT get to the head of the line...they will give the person in front of you, or tell your group to go through the regular line and the wheelchair person and ONE other will join your party oncè you are ready to board. I liked this idea a whole LOT more than this nonsense in DL and DW where I'm sure over half of the people could wait in this fashion and cut down on those who scam. We had to get a pass at the guest services and it was allowable up to four person, wheelchair (wanted a dr note, but could see the broken foot)' the pusher, and two other guests...lucky for us that was our whole party. Much better system!

We had no issues with steps or ramps, except in the Paris subways...
Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #30
boswellnakia
Oh great Ding King, just one more--trip, please?

comparing cash vs points

For those comparing cash prices versus point use, do you just check the disneyland paris website or is there better options? I think someone mentioned that they got a better deal using the official website from another country designation, is this just from the exchange rate differences?

2011: Jan AsMusic, DCL Dream Spring Break, and POP Christmas at Disney!
2010: Dec AsSports and MVMCP
2009: Feb AsMu, Jan WL, July DCL and Epcot
2008: Mar Pop
2007: Jan offsite, Apr As-S, Apr Offsite, Jun As-S
2006: Jan offsite, Apr AsMo/CBR, Apr POR, Oct CSR MNSSHP
Dec 05 MVMVP at CS/AK
Oct 05 YES, Sheraton Safari
May 05 Quality Inn Suites
Jul 04 WL
boswellnakia is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: