Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
sTINKS
Mouseketeer

what to do at US/IOA

Going to the darkside for the very first time Sunday, Monday and Tuesday 9/23-9/25, with DH, DD10 & DD7. I did not create a planning spreadsheet and am starting to panic by my lack of planning. Any touring advice or planning spreadsheet you have for me would be appreciated.

My thought was to wing it this vacation and not overplan, but my control freak discomfort level is kicking in and I am starting to feel like I will miss out on something important.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
BrinkofSunshine
DIS Veteran

I would just say to try and relax! It's not a busy time of year. Most of the waits will be 5-15 minutes, maybe 30-45 for the more popular rides. Both parks are more or less a circle. In IOA, you can start either at Marvel or Seuss and work your way around. At USF, head through production central or swing right through Hollywood and work your way around. Just don't miss the Superstar Parade (usually @3:00 PM) and the Cinematic Spectacular at night.

Have fun!
BrinkofSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
redheadedmermaid73
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't worry about a plan to much. I was there Sunday and its pretty slow. I think we only waited 10 minutes for the Forbidden Journey. Like pp said, just walk around and see what you want to do. The parks are in a circle so you'll be able to walk around pretty easily.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
glocon
DIS Veteran

It looks like you are staying at PBH so your room key will be a "fastpass" for almost every ride in both parks. I would definitely go to the parks in the a.m. then take a pool break since your resort is so close. Then in the afternoon go back to the parks. Depending on how long you will be there, you can go and explore the other resorts so you know where you want to stay next time. And you can pool hop if you want to so wear your bathing suits.

Just take your time and experience it all in a relaxed manner. No need to feel like you need to go commando. Both your kids can do just about everything depending on how daredevil they are.

And most of all, don't expect it to be Disney. Disney is comfy, homey, magical, familiar. UO is exciting, new, and relaxing in the sense that you will not have to deal with long lines or park transportation. Don't go in expecting to feel the magic tingle you feel when you walk into The World, because you will doom your vacation at UO before it starts. It is a different kind of park, just as enjoyable in a different kind of way, but it is its own park, just like your kids are both different but wonderful in their own ways.

Have fun!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
patster734
Proud Redhead>
Not the sad bluehead

This Sunday will be a HHN night at US, so it closes at 5pm. Because of this, you may want to visit IOA on Sunday and US on Monday. Be sure to grab a map at each park when you enter, then mark down what you'd like to see. If you have early entry access on Monday or Tuesday (either by staying on-site or part of an off-site package), use it to see the Harry Potter land. Harry Potter packs up pretty quickly and remains busy throughout the day.

I'm no longer the blue haired stepchild! I've been promoted to proud redhead!

patster734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Maytrix
Mouseketeer

Planning spreadsheet?!

This isn't Disney. It doesn't take 8 hours to do 4 rides. Especially staying onsite, you can just do what you want.

Only suggestion I have is that if you like roller coasters, go to Dragon Challenge first (at least one day - we do it every day) and ride the front row at least once each dragon - we will keep riding until there starts to be more than a one car wait. Some people will say go to forbidden journey, but as the day goes on, getting in the front row of one of the Dragon's becomes a much longer wait. Having to wait a bit for Harry potter doesn't affect your view. Not sitting in the front row of the dragon's does.

Otherwise, you can pretty much do anything in any order since you'll have the express pass.
Maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadedmermaid73 View Post
I wouldn't worry about a plan to much. I was there Sunday and its pretty slow. I think we only waited 10 minutes for the Forbidden Journey. Like pp said, just walk around and see what you want to do. The parks are in a circle so you'll be able to walk around pretty easily.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #8
WernerW
Mouseketeer

I would like to add 2 questions:

- Where is the perfect point to view cinematic spectacular?

- Are the dragons open early? So should we do the dragons first thing when taking advantage of early entry?

Visiting in December
WernerW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
anierodzik
Earning My Ears

If your kids are big Harry Potter fans, I recommend doing Ollivander's first. That is the only line that will probably get too long during the day. Forbidden Journey after that. Relax through the rest of the day. (My kids are 11, 9, and 8).
anierodzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #10
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerW View Post
I would like to add 2 questions:

- Where is the perfect point to view cinematic spectacular?

- Are the dragons open early? So should we do the dragons first thing when taking advantage of early entry?
From what I can tell, there are many great areas to view the show. Across from Simpsons seems to be a good spot.

Dragons are open early. There is hardly ever a line, so don't rush to it first thing. Do Ollivander's first and then Forbidden Journey.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: