DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #31
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Some get along great with their families, others think that they do, some put up with each other. Love has many levels.

On TV last week I heard someone say that they love it when they get togather with family for the holidays and how much they love it when they go home.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #32
gracelrm
Wow - you learn something new everyday!
There's nothing better than taking the boat to MK

We've done two large family trips with DH's extended family. The first one was 21 people in 2004 and the second one was 2010 with 27 or 28. After the first trip - I learned a lot. I stressed over whether everyone was having fun, making the most use of their tickets, etc, etc., etc. The second trip - I relaxed a lot and didn't worry about near as much.

Our first trip - we planned every day and tried to go to the same park each day and tried to stay together in most of the parks. My immediate family was the only "experienced" Disney goers and I tried to be the tour guide and tell everyone what to do and where to go and how to do it. I drove myself crazy (and I'm sure most of my DH's family). Also, one family backed out with less than 30 days out and I really didn't want to speak to that family for several years.

The second trip was much better. I tried to give enough information prior to the trip and let people know what our plans were and why. I put it out there, but didn't expect anyone to stay with us and do what we do. We planned 2 meals at restaurants together and ate in the room with most of us once or twice. Some days, we all ended up together at the bus stop and went to the same park, but other days we didn't. My 85yo MIL went to Magic Kingdom one day and everyone went to the park that day so we were able to get pictures with grandkids and great grandkids with their grandmother.

I think the first trip I felt responsible for everyone having a good time and making good choices based upon our prior knowledge. The second trip, I had to relax and decided everyone could research the internet like we do and figure it out on their own. Through emails, I gave them sites to look at, discount agencies for ordering tickets, and anything I thought might help them to make their own decisions. If they put forth the effort, fine - if not, no problem!

We were very clear about our deadlines and how canceling late would affect us personally. We only had one person cancel out at the last moment and that didn't affect our room number, so no one had to go on our "never invite again" list.

Now - the only downfall from these two trips are we'd like to take part of the family to Hilton Head with us, but aren't interested in taking everyone. I think I'll feel too guilty not inviting everyone - so will just not plan another family trip anytime soon.
gracelrm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #33
usd2bmd
DIS Veteran

I have not read through the thread so forgive me if someone has already stated this.

We did a family trip with my in-laws. there were 10 of us. When we first started to discuss it most of the trip was left to my husband and I as we were the only ones who had been there before. We had a meeting with everyone and asked how many times they wanted to eat together and how much time they wanted to spend together in the parks and went from there.

We ended up spending more time with my MIL and FIL than with his brother and his family. We are all early risers and they are not (that is putting it mildly). We did not want to waste our time htere waiting for them so we didn't spend too much time in the parks with them.

We spent time with my MIL and FIL and when they were tired we went our seperate ways.

As long as you don't expect too much when going in, you won't be disappointed. Remember that everyone travels at a different pace and if you all respect that pace you will all enjoy the trip.

Happy travels!!
June 2002 - Off-site June 2005 - All-Star Movies Resort** August 2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort**September 2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort**August 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside**August 2009 - Port Orleans Riverside
February 2010 - Caribbean Cruise/Carnival Liberty**August 2011 - Caribbean Cruise Carnival Liberty**August 2013 - Eastern Caribbean Cruise Carnival Dream
usd2bmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: