Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #16
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Allie looks so cute in her pretty dress. I love the idea of the magic towel.

The cozy red chair on the 5th floor looks like a good place to relax.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Old 09-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
hulagirl87
DIS Veteran

I'm so glad that I found your trip report! We are traveling with DD for the first time in January and she will be almost 3 (I'm with you on free before three!! ) I'm very nervous about taking her down there because I'm not sure how she will be, will she fly well, will she sleep in the hotel ok, will she nap in her stroller. And then I saw your daughter conked out in her stroller and thought, "ok, it's possible" I can't wait to read more and that dress that she is wearing is adorable!!!

me DH DD and DS
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #18
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

We are so glad you found us too! We thought it was a great age to take her for the first time. She absolutely had a ball. She slept great in her stroller and in the bed in the hotel. We brought lots of familar things from home, her favorite stuffed friends and one of her favorite blankets that hadn't been freshly washed so it smelled like home. Her Minnie dress is one of her favorites :-) I did alot of sewing before the trip and you'll see more cute stuff as the TR goes on.
~Melissa
Old 09-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #19
Sandite
If only I had been a Halloween Baby!

Joining in! I will have to say your TR just made my day...from what I remembered the cut off age was 2, so I was bummed we were going to have to pay for our little man to go next year, but since it's actually 3 he will be free!!! YAY!!!

SURPRISE MOMMY AND DAUGHTER TR! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2963399
Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #20
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCalifornian View Post
We are so glad you found us too! We thought it was a great age to take her for the first time. She absolutely had a ball. She slept great in her stroller and in the bed in the hotel. We brought lots of familar things from home, her favorite stuffed friends and one of her favorite blankets that hadn't been freshly washed so it smelled like home. Her Minnie dress is one of her favorites :-) I did alot of sewing before the trip and you'll see more cute stuff as the TR goes on.
~Melissa
My daughter is busy sewing a dress for her three year old. I can't remember if it is Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty or Snow White.

Did your daughter have any trouble with nightmares or anything like that from the rides? There are a lot of scary and loud ones out there.

Next up: WL - Jan 24 to 29, 2015; YC - April 15 - 21, 2015
WL - Oct 22-27, 2014, YC - Sept 24-28, 2014; BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Old 09-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #21
Chabby
Mouseketeer

Hi:
I love your TR title! We are thinking the exact same thing. We could go September 2013 or February 2014. But DS will turn 3 in December 2013, so September it is

I will definetly follow your TR to get some ideas for next year!
Old 09-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #22
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandite View Post
Joining in! I will have to say your TR just made my day...from what I remembered the cut off age was 2, so I was bummed we were going to have to pay for our little man to go next year, but since it's actually 3 he will be free!!! YAY!!!
Yay! I love a good deal and taking your kid to Disney while they are still free is a pretty good one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Nymph View Post
My daughter is busy sewing a dress for her three year old. I can't remember if it is Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty or Snow White.

Did your daughter have any trouble with nightmares or anything like that from the rides? There are a lot of scary and loud ones out there.
Sewing special outfits for WDW is neat. We got lots of comments at the parks about Allie's different dresses.

She didn't have any trouble with nightmares. I think she was so tired that by the time she went to sleep, she was out. We were really pretty selective about rides though, and didn't make her ride anything she didn't want to. We are usually content to walk around and explore, so we aren't trying to fit in all the rides we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chabby View Post
Hi:
I love your TR title! We are thinking the exact same thing. We could go September 2013 or February 2014. But DS will turn 3 in December 2013, so September it is

I will definetly follow your TR to get some ideas for next year!
We have a bounceback trip currently booked for September 2013, it was a great time of the year to go this time and we are so excited about next year. We're glad to have you following along.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #23
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Hello! I just found your TR, and I'm subbing in for the ride. I think multi-generational trips are the most fun! Allie is beyond adorable!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #24
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNotAPrincess View Post
Hello! I just found your TR, and I'm subbing in for the ride. I think multi-generational trips are the most fun! Allie is beyond adorable!
Aww, thanks. On our honeymoon we saw lots of kids with their grandparents and we thought that would be fun someday. The day Allie was born Grandma said she wanted to take her to Disney World and the planning began. We weren't sure how it would work out having people of different ages together, but it was great. We had all of our ADRs together and did lots of stuff together each day, and we did other things with Allie while they rested.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #25
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

From First Aid to the Electrical Parade

We started off Monday by having donuts in the room with a Mug Refill. This was to be our earliest day of the trip, since we wanted to try to make it to AK for the morning Extra Magic Hours, which started at 8:00. Melissa was still dragging this morning, but we left the hotel by about 8 and headed down to the busses.

We had a 10-15 minute bus wait, and then we headed to GF for another pick up of people before heading to AK. As we walked into the park, Melissa was feeling even worse and wasn't sure what to do. We sat on a bench and decided to go look for the first aid station to see if she could rest there. Debbie there was really nice and let Melissa rest in a little room for a bit while we went on.

I hated being sick at Disney but the first aid center was really cozy and I got a bed in a corner where I could actually sleep. I think I must have been pretty sick because normally there would be no way I could sleep like that. Debbie was so nice and took my temp then sent me with some Tylenol when I felt well enough to go try and do the park with everyone else.

Our first stop was Kilimanjaro Safaris, where we walked on with only about a 10 minute wait. It is neat how you can keep the stroller with you in the line, then drop it off at the end before getting on the ride. We ended up in the back row of a truck, which was a lot rougher than I remembered it. It bounced us around quite a bit, but Allie enjoyed seeing the different animals, especially the zebras and giraffes. After the ride we walked the Pangani Forrest trail and Allie loved seeing the Gorillas. She was amazed that one had more sticks than the other, and then dropped his sticks and laid down to take a nap. She told that story over and over.

Then Allie, Grandma, and Grandpa headed for the Lion King show while I went to check on Melissa. She was feeling better, and came with me to go meet up with everybody. We had an hour before lunch, and Allie wanted to pet some animals, so we headed for Rafiki's Planet Watch.

We had a lunch ADR at Tusker House so we had to leave Rafiki's and take the train back to Africa.

We had to wait in line to check in at Tusker house and it was probably the longest it took to get seated out of any of our meals. It really wasn't too bad though maybe 20 mins. This was our first character meal of the trip and we weren't sure how Allie would do with the characters. She hadn't been too fond of them at Disneyland lately but with toddlers you never know. Well it turns out she likes the characters wants her picture taken with them but gets painfully shy when they come by and looks tortured in all of her pictures.

So be prepared for lots of tortured toddler pictures. Anyway, the food at Tusker House was great and we all got to try new things. I was feeling better so I got to enjoy some too. They had lots of toddler friendly food too including Allies favorite uncrustables.

I knew Tusker House was probably going to be our most exotic ADR of the trip, and I was a little afraid about what Grandpa would think of it. The food certainly was different, but everything we tried had lots of good flavor. Grandpa found plenty of good stuff to go back for, and didn't have to resort to eating from the kid's section where they had more "normal" food in a cute little shorter buffet section.

I love the Pangani Trail and was bummed I missed it in the morning so after lunch we headed back to do that again. Grandma and Grandpa did some shopping while we did the trail. We got to see the baby gorilla sleeping with her mom and she was so sweet and little. She was 2 1/2 only a little younger than Allie.

After checking out all the animals there we found the grandparents and went over to Asia to do the trail over there. On the walk between Africa and Asia Grandma and Grandpa got a call that their house they were selling had just closed escrow so that was pretty exciting for them.

We did the Maharaja Jungle Trek and Allies favorite thing there was the paintings on the walls and she wanted her picture taken with every one.

She also made some people laugh when she asked if that was a tigers butt she was looking at (it was). By now Grandma and Grandpa needed a break so we headed back to the lodge.

Our first full park day had been a success, since it was almost 4 PM. We hadn't ridden Expedition Everest (which we never made it to on our honeymoon either) but we promised that we would come back and try it later in the week when Melissa's tummy was up for the ride. Since it wasn't in the dark, Grandpa said he'd try it too. Leaving a little while before park close worked well, and we had a nice quick bus ride.

One of our goals for this trip was to check out some of the different resorts so we could make a more informed decision on where we wanted to stay on our next trip, plus we love seeing new places especially Disney ones.
So after a little resting in the room Paul, Allie, and I decided to go check out Pop. We took a boat over to the Magic Kingdom and then took a resort bus to Pop. On the way there Allie with her impeccable timing said she had to go potty (Insert toddler tip here: Always carry a pull-up or a diaper). So I pulled a pull-up on over her clothes just in case so she wouldn't make a complete mess but she didn't end up needing it! Yay we made it . I can't tell you how many times I said that during the trip. Anyway, it was dinner time so we got dinner at the Pop food court.

I got the veggie lasagna and Paul got the meatball sandwich and we we each got tie dyed cheesecake for dessert. I really liked the lasagna, it was one of my favorite meals of the trip.

The tie dyed cheesecake was super yummy too and I could definitely see going over there for dinner on our next trip.

After dinner Allie had some money to spend so we let her pick out a toy at the Pop gift shop. She got a baby Lady with a blanket. She LOVES those babies with the blankets I think with this one she has 4. Then we went outside to check it out more and really liked it. Allie got a kick out of the giant yo-yos and wanted her picture taken with every one we saw. Someone was nice enough to offer to take a family picture with a yoyo.

We wanted to visit the new Art of Animation Resort so we walked over the bridge. The pool area there is really cute and so is the playground Allie really wanted to stop and play but I don't know how we convinced her to keep going. After some exploring there we called Grandma and Grandpa up so we could meet them at the Magic Kingdom for the electrical parade.

As an interesting point of comparison, they left their room at WL the same time we left the AoA lobby. They took a boat to MK, and we took a Bus. We probably got really lucky, but a bus arrived almost immediately and we arrived almost 10 minutes before them. With them having taken a little afternoon nap, we were all ready to go. We had some time to killl before the parade, so we walked around to the carousel and Allie rode it again.

Then we found a spot in Frontierland to watch the parade. The park wasn't super crowded, but the people that were there were lining the parade route. We did find a spot where my Mom could sit on a rock near where Allie could sit right up front by the ropes, so everyone was happy. I think Allie was really impressed by the lights and music, and of course Mickey and Minnie.

After the parade we made our way out of the park and headed for a boat. The timing worked out so that we made it to the boat before Wishes started, and we were able to see the fireworks as we rode the boat back to WL. We stopped at Roaring Fork for a mug refill, and Allie fell asleep for the night. We played with looking at pictures and writing in our trip Journal, then went to sleep.

Last edited by GrandCalifornian; 09-28-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #26
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Torturing The Toddler One Picture At A Time

We got to sleep a little late this morning because our first activity was a 9:30 AM ADR for breakfast at Chef Mickey's. Allie had gotten plenty of sleep, so she was all ready to go. We did have some debate over which dress she wanted to wear, but we were able to convince her to wear the dress with characters on it that Melissa had made for her to show Mickey and his friends at breakfast. We went downstairs and all headed for the boat, with Allie happily leading the way:

See she does smile!
We had a nice short boat ride over to the Contemporary on a small boat, and walked over to the lobby. On the way we got to see them fueling the Sea Raycer boats from a fuel barge to get ready for the day.
The CM was funny when Paul said "so that's how they fuel them" he said "no you aren't supposed to see this it's Disney, everything is magic!"
Then we went upstairs and signed in for Chef Mickey's. The wait was very short, just enough time to take a bad picture of all of us in front of a plate. We got our table and immediately the characters started coming by. Allie was excited by this concept, right up to the point where a character would show up at the table, then she would get shy. This resulted in some more tortured toddler pictures:

After the characters would leave, she would excitedly announce that she met them. Whatever, as long as she was having fun. Pluto took a picture with Grandma and Grandpa, who were better at posing for a character picture:

The only character Allie didn't get to see was Daisy so we promised that we'd find her (although I was kinda hoping she'd forget about it because one can only hold a tortured toddler for so many pictures)
The food was good and had plenty of variety, but the character interaction was what made this meal worth it. I was very glad that we chose this ADR.
After breakfast, we headed to Epcot via the monorail. It was our favorite park last trip, and we were excited to finally make it there. We got there just after 11 AM, and there was very little crowd. We stopped to get a PhotoPass picture of everyone.

Then lo and behold there was Daisy waiting just for us! Well, we had to wait in a bit of a line but we got to see Daisy and took yet another tortured toddler photo.
We also got to meet Stitch (Melissa's favorite) before heading over to the Seas with Nemo. During our first trip The Living Seas was our favorite attraction, so it was fun to see it again and share it with Grandma and Grandpa 27 years later.
Allie really liked the manatees and the dolphin and we also did Turtle Talk with Crush. I'm always secretly afraid they'll call on her because I know she won't say anything but she loves the show anyway.
Then we headed to The Land and rode that boat ride, which everyone enjoyed. For lunch, we had planned on Seasons right there in The Land and it worked out great. We were ready for more food after breakfast, and we ended up getting Chinese food, although there were lots of good options. We also got to sample two desserts, and got Strawberry cake and an awesome pineapple cupcake. Here is a picture of the star of the meal:

After lunch, Grandpa and I rode Soarin while Melissa, Allie and Grandma waited outside. It was a very short wait, about 15 minutes. We enjoyed the ride and it felt just like home, since it is identical to the CA Adventure version.
We played with the jumping fountains outside of Captain EO and then saw Belle and Snow White walk by. Allie HAD to go "talk" to Belle so we waited in line for some more great tortured toddler photos. I thought she might do better with the princesses because there is a bit more interaction and well they are more like real people but apparently not. She clung to me like glue but was so excited afterwards that she got to see them. Really she talked about Belle's sparkly dress for the rest of the day.

After that Grandma was done walking for the day, so she headed to the busses while Grandpa went with us to Imagination. Allie got a small figment and danced with it outside.

Then we walked through world showcase. It took a little bit, but we were able to get Allie to sit for a while in the stroller and she fell asleep. This gave us the chance to shop and explore while she got some good rest. At Japan, we watched the artist make candy animals and then Melissa decided to do pick a pearl because it was on her list, and with Alllie asleep we had the time to do it.

Melissa picked out a heart shaped ring and the 7mm pearl she had picked was mounted in about 20 minutes. Then we continued on through the countries. By the time we got to "The American Experience" Grandpa was ready to head out, and he hopped on a boat to head for the front gate. Melissa and I continued exploring at our pace, and I got an awesome soft pretzel in Germany (seriously, like the best ever) where they also had large fountain Cokes, which we enjoyed. Melissa wanted to try the School Bread in Norway, so we got one of those and it was good too. Allie woke up just in time to enjoy the school bread, and by enjoy she ate a good quarter of it.
We continued around the loop and stopped in Mexico to check out the boat ride because I had heard kids love it. Allie really liked it, it's alot like Small World but has cartoons too so I think it's a win win for the toddler set. Do be warned though there are lots of colorful breakable things at toddler level in the Mexico pavilion and I think we had a harder time here than anywhere else keeping her from grabbing at things.
Next we went over to look at the Test Track construction, since that was my favorite ride. We knew it would be closed, but wondered about the cool GM cars and gift shop. The shop was closed, but they had cars out for you to sit in, including a Convertible New Camaro. This is one of the cars high on my wish list, so it was great to get to sit in it. Allie enjoyed it too.

I would like one of these as a souvenir, but like Melissa's red chair, it wouldn't fit in my suitcase either.
Since it was already after 8, we decided to stay for Illuminations. We found a spot between the gift stores at the end of World Showcase opposite America, so we'd have a direct path toward the sphere and the busses when it was over. We had a great view, and enjoyed the show.
It is on the loud side though and Allie covered her ears for most of the show. She didn't really complain but for a kid that's super sensitive to that kind of stuff it might be intense for them so close to the lagoon.

As the show ended we led the rush toward the gates. We did make a quick potty pit stop to be ready for the bus, and still made it to the WL bus stop before the first bus arrived. It showed up in a couple of minutes, and we got right on. It ended up filling to standing room only, but everyone at the stop made it on. We made it back to WL by 9:45, and then went to Roaring Fork for a late dinner where we shared chicken nuggets and had the whole dining room to ourselves.

Last edited by GrandCalifornian; 10-05-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #27
Woodmnky
DIS Veteran

We will be going to WDW just before DS's 2nd birthday in December. DS and I are enjoying reading your report. I love the dresses you made for DD. I'm a bit jealous that the cutest thing I get to make is a t-shirt.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #28
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmnky View Post
We will be going to WDW just before DS's 2nd birthday in December. DS and I are enjoying reading your report. I love the dresses you made for DD. I'm a bit jealous that the cutest thing I get to make is a t-shirt.
Grandma Nancy had to wait 30 years to get her girl to play dress up with. Now I am learning how to dress Barbies for the first time. There's plusses and minuses of everything. ~Paul

We're glad you're following along, and enjoying the trip. Your visit should be great, enjoy the Christmas decorations!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #29
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Ok, so this is a bit of a detour, but it is timely based upon where we are in the trip report. Yesterday we went to Disneyland and finally got Allie to take some happy pictures with characters! She talked to them, and smiled for pictures with Mulan, Snow White, and Merida. We'll get the others on our PhotoPass CD, which we waited to order so we could get a full 30 days of pictures on there, but here's one from a phone with Merida.

So see we don't really torture her!
Old 10-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #30
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Melissa, you are one talented seamstress - the dress is so cute and fits her perfectly. And, Grandpa's t-shirt is a true testament to his dedication to that cute girl in the dress.

Your Merida photos reminded me that on the day Hurricane Isaac passed by WDW, we went to the MK and there was virtually no line for Merida. DD13 wanted to skip it and go on a ride, but DH just had to see Merida and he's all smiles in the Photopass photos.

Tags
allie, report, toddler, trip

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: