Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
Iamthequeen
DIS Veteran

We haven't even

booked our trip for next September yet, and I'm already planning (actually I bought the fabric already) to make a new park bag for me to use. I made one last year when we went and it worked great and I got a lot of compliments, but I wanted one that was a bit larger. I've gotten some great ideas on how to "accessorize" it from the Dis!

I also buy new clothes for the trip - everything from pjs to new shoes. I'm really going to have to check out the Keens for next time. Oh and I need a new suitcase too....
Iamthequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #17
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Spending money

I'm so glad I'm not really the only mom out there who is planning, buying, making, and creating all for family Disney vacation!
I have gotten several ideas from dis that I'm so thankful for-- like waterproof mascara. Never even gave that a thought.
Here us what I have been spending on!
We are going oct 13 - oct 23, we bought tickets for mickeys not so scary Halloween party I have adorable, smallish, Halloween fabric treat bags for our girls to use for trick or treating at the candy spots thru the night. I had the bags made, and then embellished them myself with black ostrich feathers, Swarovski crystals, and different Halloween ribbon-- They are really cute and special cuz I made them. Etsy made autograph book, penny pressing tubes, and bag, vacation organizer binder filled with all our stuff we need -- airfare info, timeshare info, car rental, tickets for Disney, discovery cove, universal studios and sea world, character meals reservations info, pretty much everything we need is in that binder! Thanks dis for the super idea to get, and stay organized!
5 sets of tee shirts (thanks eBay and etsy) personalized disney totes to carry everything we need within Disney ( thanks etsy)
I too bought the girls new carry on bags and luggage tags,and hanging cosmetic organizers. I have my Disney Basket filled with misc items We may need like rain ponchos, Dramamine,gas x, band aids, chap stick, cold sore treatment, sunscreen, airborne, Tylenol, ect ect ) I have a copy of my list in my purse, that way I always have it with me at the store so i Can just pull it out and see what I still need to get.
But having everything done, bought, and paid BEFORE the trip, makes the trip even more fun!
We are going to discovery cove, and I've been wondering if water shoes are really needed? They take up so much room and I don't want to bring them if we don't really need them.... Any thoughts?

I haven't started packing yet, but soon!!!!!
So, I guess we're all normal for getting so darn crazy about this!
Swirly girls is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #18
snowcupid
Mouseketeer

I have been spending like crazy too! It started with needing a bag for the park and buying a bunch of Vera Bradley stuff during the sale. Then it was little carry on size items... and it keeps going on and on. I want to be sure we have everything we need for Disney.

Swirlygirls: Are water shoes allowed at the water parks? I know sometimes you can't wear them at the local pools here - not sure about Florida.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Spending!

Well, I'm not about water shoes. My husband and I went to Disney for our honeymoon. That was before kids, so we didn't bring them.
I don't think they are needed at blizzard beach typhoon lagoon, but I somewhere, someone had mentioned wearing them at Disovery Cove ( it's not a Disney resort, it's where you swim with dolphins, swim with all different kinds if tropical fish, sting rays, snorkel ect
I guess some of the underwater terrain could be rocky, and I'm concerned about little cuts on feet. Little cuts can turn into big sores! We're doing Discovery Cove our first day in Florida and with all the walking, I'd hate to have any issues.
Maybe I'll just call discovery cove and ask

I too wanna make sure we have everything we need. I'd rather have it and not need it, then the other way around. Most of it is not big, weighs very little, and doesn't take up much space.
My husband had a brilliant thought last night about laundry detergent. We are staying at timeshare and will have washer dryer, kitchen, ect. He suggested bringing tide pods. It's a good idea, I hadn't thought about. But, I'm going to throw some in a Tupperware container and stick in our luggage ( not carry on) much easier than powder, or boxes. I still like the Purex all in 1 sheets too.

Also, I'm thinking packing all make up, hairspray, mousse ect ect ect in luggage, not in carry on. Seems easier, and a lot less hassle. Any remarks???????
I'm going to out it all in those wonderful ziplock/ glad baggies.
One more thing: We are flying delta and are allowed to each have a carry on, and another bag/ purse. In my tote/ purse I wanna put smallish camera bag, iPad, maybe kids nooks and kindles, Disney binder,a few snacks in ziplock bags. Anybody fly delta who sees this as an issue?
I don't know why I'm so worried, there is 5 of us and can each have 1 carrying and and a purse or something similar. Not to mention our big suitcase we pay for.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
dvcwannabe
Mouseketeer

Oh yes, we have spent ALOT on "stuff" for Disney also. My dining room is full of bags that I am trying to organize now.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
dvcwannabe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daizieduck View Post
LOL! Glad I am not alone in this thinking!
This is funny! I just looked at my mom & dad's last pic that we brought them in front of the castle. I wanted to make sure I didn't wear the same thing again this year for that pic (LOL).
Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #22
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Can't stop spending

I talked my husband into a new, better camera a couple months ago. Ya know we need an awesome camera that will take fantastic pictures of this magical place! And, I love our new canon HD .... Anybody thinking about buying one, do it. I'm very happy with it!
It isn't too bulky and big either. The zoom is amazing! Totally worth the price. Then, About a month ago, I talked him into one of those new Sony handheld Hd video camcorders too. . We love that too! It's tiny, but boy does this take crisp, clear video. It's small enough to fit in my hubby's fanny pack with room still for other stuff he carries.
Oh, and we bought extra batteries for both... Just to be safe. I plan on taking lots, and lots of pictures and video.
So, anyone on the fence about buying either or both -- I suggest you buy. You want good quality pictures and video!!!
I do think we are done with buying-- finally! I still have a few small, misc items to buy yet. But, I'm almost there
BUT -- buying before trip and having it all booked, bought, and paid before the vacation makes vacation much more enjoyable
Old 09-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #23
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
My husband had a brilliant thought last night about laundry detergent. We are staying at timeshare and will have washer dryer, kitchen, ect. He suggested bringing tide pods. It's a good idea, I hadn't thought about. But, I'm going to throw some in a Tupperware container and stick in our luggage ( not carry on) much easier than powder, or boxes. I still like the Purex all in 1 sheets too.
Another great idea I read on one of these boards was about packing dish soap for washing out refillable park cups, etc in the evenings. The OP cut a kitchen sponge into squares & soaked them in dish detergent overnight. Once they dry you can rehydrate them with water, have one for each day & toss it after you're done. They should be just big enough for a few dishes & no mess from the liquid detergent! I soaked mine last night & they were 90% dried out by this morning. We're driving so I'll just pack them in a ziploc.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #24
DisneyDanielle85
Mouseketeer

I am a crazy spender before Disney. I have an obession with Luggage/Vera Bradley so each trip I usually buy a new carry on purse. I buy new clothes for me and my hubby to be. This year we'll be buying new sneakers. Stuff to do on the plane.....the list goes on and on. I bought a Passporter Deluxe to keep all my stuff together.

~Danielle~
~A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes~ ~Princess Belle!~ "I only hope we don't forget one thing- It was all started by a mouse" - Walt Disney
DisneyDanielle85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #25
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Can't stop spending

Just indulged in JUST 1 Mor thing that I thought our family could really use! I read this on DIS last night -- collapsible water bottles. Ill clip them on my tote when they are filled. when they are empty they fold up. Brilliant! They are safe, practical, and fold up into a small, cute little thing when your done! I bought 2 on amazon. They were reasonable -- for 2 16 oz water bottles including shipping it was $28. I should have them in a few days. I love this idea, I'll bring crystal light to go packs to put in if wanted.
Whoever it was that shared this idea, thank you( I think) more $$$$$ but, oh well. They can be used again and again, and are much better for the environment too. NOW I think I'm really done!!! ?????????
Old 09-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #26
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

I have to admit that this topic makes me chuckle. We are 16 days out from leaving on our trip, so I am making my packing lists. I always buy new socks for all of us so our feet are well cared for, and I need snacks to take (we will be driving 4 days with stops to get to DLR). I already bought activities for DD3 for the car and a couple of Princess Dresses on E-bay. And our costumes for MHP are almost ready (need shoes for DD). We are all working on breaking in our new shoes to avoid blisters. Other then that, I kind of have my list to purchase while there. I have been wanting a Disney bag, and am determined to get one there. I also plan to purchase some clothes for DH & DD while there, and let's not forget hats. The list really does seem to go on!

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #27
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

My kids are older and don't need alot of the stuff anymore. Heck even when my DD was young enough for princess dresses, she would never wear them so it would've been a waste of money for me to buy. I'm jealous of you guys whose DD's like that stuff.

I'm fine with the shoes and clothes I already own right now.

I have been wearing the same sandals there for the last 2 years - I bought them specifically for Disney and it's the only time I wear them. Same with my park bag and backpack. Bought those 2 years ago too and only use them for Disney.

So I had my spending spree 2 years ago.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #28
Iamthequeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirly girls View Post
Also, I'm thinking packing all make up, hairspray, mousse ect ect ect in luggage, not in carry on. Seems easier, and a lot less hassle. Any remarks???????
I'm going to out it all in those wonderful ziplock/ glad baggies.
One more thing: We are flying delta and are allowed to each have a carry on, and another bag/ purse. In my tote/ purse I wanna put smallish camera bag, iPad, maybe kids nooks and kindles, Disney binder,a few snacks in ziplock bags. Anybody fly delta who sees this as an issue?
I don't know why I'm so worried, there is 5 of us and can each have 1 carrying and and a purse or something similar. Not to mention our big suitcase we pay for.
I think you are better off packing these in your checked bag. You are limited in size (not sure what that is 1 oz?) for any liquids. You should check the TSA website to see what size liquids are allowed in your carry on.

As far as all the electronics - camera, tablet, nooks and kindles - should not be a problem. Snacks should be ok too. Drinks would have to be bought once you clear security at the airport - even if they are not open, drinks are not allowed past the checkpoint.

Have a wonderful trip!
Iamthequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:36 AM   #29
LilnStitchy
Earning My Ears

This is like a support group for shopping habits but instead of trying to curb it you make it worse lol. No seriously though I'm enjoying the tips. We just figured out today that we were going to Disney world so I have a limited amount of time to catch up on my shopping. Thankfully my kids are staying home and I have a baggallini from my last trip. I've been busy spending money on a Mickey themed bathroom for the kids. I get into Disney planning mode and I buy Disney stuff. We were planning a trip to Disneyland but it got dropped a month ago due to a death in the family. Now an awesome opportunity came up for lodging in Orlando and flights are cheap so we are capitalizing. Now I want Mickey Halloween decor someone posted about.

Caribbean Beach Resort- 2011
LilnStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #30
Swirly girls
Mouseketeer

Spending

I giggle a lot as I read thru these, bUt I'm glad I'm not alone in my Disney obsession/ spending. We are about 3 weeks away from our vacation, and just last night my DH asked me if there was anything else we needed to buy before the trip. I had to laugh because I was like, honey buying for this trip is all I've been doing!! I told him we have everything we might possible ever need and then some.
Thanks for the packing make up info too! I will just be packing all that kind of stuff In our checked luggage.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: