Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

5YO Christmas ideas?

DD is 5.5YO but no definite interests. She has a play kitchen, dollhouse, art center. MIL already gifted her with a table too. She has dolls and plays with them somewhat. She insisted last year that she loved Calico Critters but she plays with them infrequently. I know one thing she is getting which is a cash register I got on sale. Besides a couple smaller things, I'm kind of at a loss for a big gift. When I ask her, she is stumped herself and not sure. She says she likes the calico critters when I mention perhaps getting rid of them but again not something she plays with constantly.

And here is the problematic thing. Bad me, I bought some calico critters stuff online last year for 50% -- great deal but should've ascertained her interest more. Now I could likely resell it on Craig's List and make my money back easily. I got a half-off calico critters nursery thing with a balloon lift and so forth for $30 instead of $60. I could give those to her for Christmas as the big thing with zero out of pocket.

So WWYD? Give her the Calico Critters stuff and push it for now to see if her interest doesn't increase (it has picked up a little lately)? Sell the sets and plan on getting her something else? Any suggestions you all have for a 5YO girl? BTW, thank goodness no interest in the Doc McStuffins hot toy. Whew! Thanks!

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
bigmama67
DIS Veteran

Honestly? I would Craig's List it and get her something else.

DD is turning 4 next month, and we got her the Leappad II (the new model tablet for preschool and early elementary). I'm looking forward to seeing what it does. It comes with 3 games - 2 preloaded plus you get to pick a third one (we will let her do that). DS got her headphones and a hardshell case. There is a carry bag, and there are TONS of downloadable games, so your DD can pick what she likes. $20 application cards are about $17.50 at Amazon, so slightly discounted, and the family could always be directed there for a suggestion.

Last year we got her a puppet theatre and some animal puppets. Imaginative play is great.

What about American Girl? DD is also coveting the Bitty Twins - you get to pick gender and appearance.

HTH?

1 dog, 4 cats (RIP beloved Bridget and Guthrie), 2 fish...

Trying to get back since our first family trip in '07...Currently Hoping/Wishing/Planning for: AUGUST 2015 (DS 6th grade graduation/DD K graduation trip):Two weeks, 9 parks! POFQ perhaps?

-to-be (Currently Paraprofessional)!
bigmama67 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
akcire
Mouse expert, computer challenged
I am flushing myself to Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
DD is 5.5YO but no definite interests. She has a play kitchen, dollhouse, art center. MIL already gifted her with a table too. She has dolls and plays with them somewhat. She insisted last year that she loved Calico Critters but she plays with them infrequently. I know one thing she is getting which is a cash register I got on sale. Besides a couple smaller things, I'm kind of at a loss for a big gift. When I ask her, she is stumped herself and not sure. She says she likes the calico critters when I mention perhaps getting rid of them but again not something she plays with constantly.

And here is the problematic thing. Bad me, I bought some calico critters stuff online last year for 50% -- great deal but should've ascertained her interest more. Now I could likely resell it on Craig's List and make my money back easily. I got a half-off calico critters nursery thing with a balloon lift and so forth for $30 instead of $60. I could give those to her for Christmas as the big thing with zero out of pocket.

So WWYD? Give her the Calico Critters stuff and push it for now to see if her interest doesn't increase (it has picked up a little lately)? Sell the sets and plan on getting her something else? Any suggestions you all have for a 5YO girl? BTW, thank goodness no interest in the Doc McStuffins hot toy. Whew! Thanks!
How about a giant box of dress up outfits/costumes? I see many Halloween costumes in the resale shops now, and the stores will have them on clearance after Halloween. Big Rubbermaid tub, full legnth mirror, + fun outfits= lots of fun. Don't forget to ask grandma for some old "silk" (or polyester) scarfs and jewelry--the bigger the better.
akcire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
trinchick
Mouseketeer

When DD was five, she seemed to want the Calico Critters, too. When we went to the toy store all she did was play with them. So for Christmas that year we did Calico Critters big time. Huge investment in the house, furniture, and family after family. Once she had them, though, she hardly played with them. We were so disappointed because not only did we waste a few HUNDRED dollars (this was when you had to buy them at specialty toy stores), but because she also didn't have a Christmas gift that she really loved.

Well, flash forward three years, and DD plays with her Calico Critters every. single. day. She makes up intricate stories with them. Organizes and reorganizes their possessions. Intermingles them with her Squinkies and doll house figures. The works.

I don't really have an answer for what you should do this year, but I'd suggest that you not give up on the Calico Critters just yet. Those little accessories are teeny tiny and so maybe just more appealing to slightly older kids.
trinchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
mom2cookies
DIS Veteran

how about some crafty things to get her imagination moving? when i was five i got dolls, and crayon and coloring books lol.

mom2cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
C_leen
DIS Veteran

Xmas

Although I have a boy, one of the best toys we got was a 3 wheeled scooter. It lit up and was from Lillian Vernon. It was nice bc it was small and fit in my car! I often would just toss it in and he could easily use it around the parking lots and sidewalks of a few area parks.

Then we next got him a foldable Razor scooter. I think I scored that one for $20 on sale. He wore that out. We would take that on our car vacations as again we could just pull it out and let him burn off some energy. I'll never forget one afternoon my DH was fishing off a dock and I was able to keep the little guy occupied in the boat ramp area for an entire afternoon between chasing after minnows and the scooter!

There is also small kid sized skateboards.

My DS has had rotation in what he likes over the years. Pokemon, Yu Gi Oh, Bakugans, Teck Decks, etc. Just when you think they have outgrown them they return to them and play them in a more mature manner.

You are good to think ahead! Best of luck!
2/2014 Princess HALF
C_leen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
reneaterry
Mouseketeer

My 5.5 yr old dd wants a telescope, trampoline, and we're looking at getting her tablet like tabeo. She loves dolls, Polly pockets, anything she can play and make up lengthy stories about. Things she wasn't interested in before now become part of her stories. I say give the to her and maybe something else small you think she might enjoy.
reneaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
mymeme
Mouseketeer

I know this is the Budget Board but my gs has tons of toys. Most of them hardly ever get played with. The one thing that he can always entertain himself with is his iPad. Of course it has lots of game apps and Disney movies but the ones he has on more than any are educational. Many interactive books, lots of letters and numbers, shapes, sounds. It's one(of many) ways to learn that seems more like play to an almost 5 year old. Just another idea.

Meme
mymeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
2goofykiddos
Budding Disney addict

My DD, who is the exact same age as yours, LOVES her bitty twins. Her cousin, who is a year older loves them as well. I think they are a good bet. Not sure what we are doing for this Christmas....it is only September!
May 2010- 3 days off site
May 2011-- 6 nights POFQ
May 2012- 7 nights VWL!!!!!
Oct 2012 Adult's only F&W trip
Dec 2012- Bonnet Creek with extended family,
1 night CBR
March 2013- off site
May 2014- Bay Lake Tower
2goofykiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
tcufrog
Mouseketeer

What about really craft kits and supplies? Does she like to build stuff? I got my son's friend Roslyn a spin art set for her 5th birthday and she loved it. My son who is 5 1/2 loves the zoobs I got for him recently. Legos are popular with my sons' friends whether they are boys or girls. They have sets where you can build houses and all sorts of other neat things.
tcufrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #11
bookluvingbabe
Mouseketeer

What about a bike? Or a family membership to the aquarium or zoo or museum near you?

Although at that age on of my favorite gifts was a sleeping bag! It meant I was almost old enough for slumber parties.
bookluvingbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #12
CraftyMommy
Mouseketeer

My kids are getting a Christmas trip to WDW as their big gifts. I can get away with buying small stuff since the trip is the big gift.

Do you have a WDW trip in your budget?
CraftyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
ArmyWife7
Mouseketeer

My 5.5 DD's big gift will be some sort of tablet. I'm thinking about the tabeo, but waiting to see if the mini Ipad rumor is true or not. She's also very much into Barbies so she will get a few Barbie items. She has a small dollhouse from when she was younger so I'm considering the Barbie Dreamhouse.

I also recommend a Bitty Baby. DD received one when she was 3 and I add to it every Christmas. I already have one outfit for Bitty Baby and the booster chair put away for Christmas. I'm constantly checking the clearance items at American Girl.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #14
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

My DD just turned six. She's big time into her American Girl Bitty Baby. The doll goes where she goes! Best investment in a toy I've ever made.

Last year we have her a bike for Christmas. She loved it and rode it all summer. I'm at a loss for this year though!

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

Velocity Cruz e-Reader with WiFi
My freind bought her 5 year old one last year. Its very cool. You can read, play games, watch moves on it. The main reason she picked this is its alot like the kindle but only 69 dollars!
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: