Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #91
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
That is a good value. And the 2ti is practically identical to 3ti.

On Amazon, the 2ti plus kit lens plus the 55-250 is $850 or so.
Didn't realize it was so much cheaper on the Canon site.

I will say, I wouldn't go with JUST the 55-250 -- you'd be missing wide shots way too often.
fortunately, i don't really need to take wide shots - our band isn't that big other than during marching band season, the camera would just be used for family events (thanksgiving, Christmas) and vacations (disney, etc.).
Old 10-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #92
momof1princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFlyer View Post
Just remember that you don't get the discount on the lens.
oops! okay, that changes the game a little, but not too bad. i can't remember what the lens price was BEFORE i took off 20%.
Register to remove

Old 10-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #93
momof1princess

so, what i'm understanding here is, if i get the refurb T2i from the canon website with just the kit lens, i'll still be in better shape than with a P&S?

because, if my math is correct, i can get the refurb T2i with the kit lens for $358.39, with the 20% loyalty program discount for my old camera. this would be AWESOME, and, combining some Christmas money, i could probably get the other lens right after Christmas for the Sugar Bowl trip.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #94
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
so, what i'm understanding here is, if i get the refurb T2i from the canon website with just the kit lens, i'll still be in better shape than with a P&S?

because, if my math is correct, i can get the refurb T2i with the kit lens for $358.39, with the 20% loyalty program discount for my old camera. this would be AWESOME, and, combining some Christmas money, i could probably get the other lens right after Christmas for the Sugar Bowl trip.
Ding. Ding. Ding.
WilsonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #95
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
fortunately, i don't really need to take wide shots - our band isn't that big other than during marching band season, the camera would just be used for family events (thanksgiving, Christmas) and vacations (disney, etc.).
On the crop body, 55mm is more like 75mm - So if that was your only lens, then it would be the equivalent of always being zoomed in. It would be practically impossible to take indoor shots. Youd have to go all the way to the far side of the room to take a picture of the christmas tree. But as long as you also have the kit lens, you're fine.
As long as you're ok with the bulk of a dslr, this does sound like the ideal solution in your budget. The only accessories you will absolutely need, are 1 or 2 good memory cards and some sort of camera bag. You may want to eventually add a tripod, but not a necessity.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #96
momof1princess

Quote:
On the crop body, 55mm is more like 75mm - So if that was your only lens, then it would be the equivalent of always being zoomed in. It would be practically impossible to take indoor shots. Youd have to go all the way to the far side of the room to take a picture of the christmas tree. But as long as you also have the kit lens, you're fine.
As long as you're ok with the bulk of a dslr, this does sound like the ideal solution in your budget. The only accessories you will absolutely need, are 1 or 2 good memory cards and some sort of camera bag. You may want to eventually add a tripod, but not a necessity.

i'm good with the bulk of this particular camera - it doesn't look too bad. smaller than my friend's nikon DSLR. i will need a couple of memory cards (8Gb-16Gb, class 10, right?), but i have a camera bag that i think will work, and i'll keep my eyes open for a tripod.

okay, just so i'm clear, what is "crop body"? lol, i'm such a noob.

Last edited by momof1princess; 10-20-2012 at 12:47 PM.
momof1princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #97
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Quote:
i'm good with the bulk of this particular camera - it doesn't look too bad. smaller than my friend's nikon DSLR. i will need a couple of memory cards (8Gb-16Gb, class 10, right?), but i have a camera bag that i think will work.

okay, just so i'm clear, what is "crop body"? lol, i'm such a noob.
Class 6's are OK, even for video but 10's are arguably better. Almost all of mine are 6's if that matters. I have 2 x 10's for when the situation just can't take a chance but I hardly ever need them.

Get youself a couple of 8's (6x) and shoot large JPGs to begin with. Don't try to make the camera do everything it CAN do to begin with. You can't anyway. Learn with it and never forget, AUTO is not a curse word in a tight.

FYI, I'm a man and I have pretty small hands. I like the feel of my T2i and most women seem to prefer it over the larger bodies. Personally, even with my small hands, I still prefer the size of my 60D but that's just me.

"Crop" bodies are probably beyond the scope of what you need to know at this point, really. Seriously. What you need to know is that everything uder $2k is a crop body, basically. Look it up on Wiki if you must, but like I said, it really doesn't matter much to you at this point. Be warned: It's likely only going to confuse you at this point in your career. Walk first and learn to take bigger steps every day.

Last edited by WilsonFlyer; 10-20-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #98
momof1princess

Quote:
Class 6's are OK, even for video but 10's are arguably better. Almost all of mine are 6's if that matters. I have 2 x 10's for when the situation just can't take a chance but I hardly ever need them.

Get youself a couple of 8's (6x) and shoot large JPGs to begin with. Don't try to make the camera do everything it CAN do to begin with. You can't anyway. Learn with it and never forget, AUTO is not a curse word in a tight.

FYI, I'm a man and I have pretty small hands. I like the feel of my T2i and most women seem to prefer it over the larger bodies. Personally, even with my small hands, I still prefer the size of my 60D but that's just me.

"Crop" bodies are probably beyond the scope of what you need to know at this point, really. Seriously. What you need to know is that everything uder $2k is a crop body, basically. Look it up on Wiki if you must, but like I said, it really doesn't matter much to you at this point. Be warned: It's likely only going to confuse you at this point in your career. Walk first and learn to take bigger steps every day.
ah, i get it! "crop body" actually refers to the size of the camera body! gotcha! :

so, a couple of 8Gb, class 6 memory cards and i'll be good to go!
Old 10-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #99
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Quote:
ah, i get it! "crop body" actually refers to the size of the camera body! gotcha! :

Nope. Not at ALL.

so, a couple of 8Gb, class 6 memory cards and i'll be good to go!

Yes.
See bold above.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #100
momof1princess

Quote:
See bold above.
i see now boy, was i WRONG!

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=326872
Old 10-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #101
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
"Crop 'body'" is more about the sensor size. Without complicating things, basically the T#i series of Canons have a sensor that is smaller than a "full frame" sensor. As such due to physics and optics and all that fun stuff, the "zoom" factor on a crop sensor (at least, this one in particular) is about 1.6. Meaning that a 100mm lens on this crop sensor is roughly equivalent to a 160mm lens on a full frame. Since crop sensors are smaller, they do typically make the bodies a bit smaller, but the terminology is more about the sensor than the body.

Basically, you can visualize an image taken with a full frame camera, and cropping a portion out of it, and that's roughly the result that you get on a crop sensor.

It's not all that important to know the differences between the full frame and crop, only that a) they exist and b) that you have a handle on the relative differences in focal lengths between your own lenses on your own body/sensor. There are some other things (e.g. "Normal" lenses - which relate to how your eyes see the world vs an SLR lens and stuff like that), but they're really not anything to worry about just yet.

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Cafeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #102
havoc315
DIS Veteran

As others said, the only aspect of a crop body important for your purposes, is that lens focal length is actually 1.6. So 55 is really over 80. And 250 is close to 400.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #103
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Another option on your budget of course, is buy the refurb with kit lens. And then rent a super high quality zoom for your trip.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #104
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Another option on your budget of course, is buy the refurb with kit lens. And then rent a super high quality zoom for your trip.
Very true. She could rent a 100-300L and KA and take names.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #105
momof1princess

Quote:
that is an awesome idea! only problem is, there's not a camera store within 75 miles of my home. i live in a rural area, outside of a small city.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: