Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #61
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
apparently, i can get a nikon D3100 at wal-mart for $499. good camera? the reviews are okay. my cousin owns this camera, and says it's a good one, but he uses it on auto, so i'm sure he's not getting the best photos he could.
Good or bad is really subjective. A lot depends on what you use it for and how you use it.

If you want to get into a DSLR I don't think you can go wrong with any new DSLR on the market right now. That $499 probably doesn't include a telephoto zoom lens, which you're most likely going to want for shooting the band on the football field so another $200, give or take, for an entry level lens to cover that focal range.

The D3100 does have the drawback of not being able to auto focus with all Nikon lenses. However, I think it does AF will most of the current entry level lenses. Just don't expect to be able to go pick up older Nikon lenses and have full functionality with all of them. THere are many charts online that tell you which lenses loose what functionality. Personally I don't see that as a deal breaker for this camera as long as you know that going in. But some people do.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #62
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

i wish the DIS had a like button. i learn SO much from everyone's posts!
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #63
momof1princess

DH is REALLY putting on the pressure about buying a new camera he says he wants to take me to a camera store in the nearest big city (about 70 miles away) to check the models i've been looking at online, out in person.

i told him there's no way we can afford the best P&S i've found (sony rx100), and i could get a DSLR (nikon D3100, i think) cheaper, lol.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #64
momof1princess

ok, it's time to put the money where my wish list is! DH wants to go camera shopping tomorrow (i suspect he also wants to go to the woodcraft store to get HIS Christmas gift ), and i still don't know what to get.

i would like:

1. to be able to take good pics of DD15 on the football field (she's in marching band), both close-up and at normal distance;
2. good daylight and low-light shots for vacations, including fireworks
3. good portability
4. ease of use
5. to spend $400 or less; can go as high as $475, if necessary.
6. a P&S, if possible; i can get a nikon D3100 at wal-mart for $499, but didn't really want to spend that much, and would prefer P&S.

i've looked at the sony HX30 and RX100 (can't afford the RX100), the Panasonic TZ30 and FZ200 (can't afford this one either) and Canon SX260. Will any of the remaining 3 do everything i want it to? is there something that would be more suited to my wants/needs?

Last edited by momof1princess; 10-19-2012 at 02:40 PM.
momof1princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #65
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Quote:
DH is REALLY putting on the pressure about buying a new camera he says he wants to take me to a camera store in the nearest big city (about 70 miles away) to check the models i've been looking at online, out in person.

i told him there's no way we can afford the best P&S i've found (sony rx100), and i could get a DSLR (nikon D3100, i think) cheaper, lol.
Just remember that just because it's a DSLR, doesn't make it a better camera. The RX is getting absolutely AWESOME reviews from virtually everyone that touches one.

You're right, though. Having not read anything but the first page of the thread, I think your two major limiting factors here are:

1) Your knowledge level about protography (Which you can fix with reading Understanding Exposure and practice.).

2) Your budget relative to the task at hand and your probable expectations based too heavily on simply $$ spent.

I don't want to beat the Nikon v. Canon thing here but as a Canon shooter, let me share this tidbit that I think many people would agree with me on.

Nikon v. Canon is a virtual toss-up at the level DSLR you're talking about, but (and this is a HUGE "but"), Canon holds a LARGE advantage in AFFORDABLE lenses and variety all-together. Nikon lenses are virtually twice expensive as Canon lenses (I'm not talking about third-party stuff here, obviously.) and they don't have near the collection Canon has.

If you're even still considering a DSLR, don't boot a Canon from the mix too quickly. Glass is a long-term investment, at least it can be and should be. Availability and cost of the same should weigh heavily into any aspiring DSLR owner's list of things to consider.

If your budget has changed since page 1 ($400), I have some very strong opinions. If it hasn't, I probably don't have much for you because I don't think you can get everything you need for your initial goal for that amount of money, at least IMHO. Sorry.

A DSLR is a lifetime investment and must be seen and ammoritized as such for budget purposes.
WilsonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #66
momof1princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonFlyer View Post
Just remember that just because it's a DSLR, doesn't make it a better camera. The RX is getting absolutely AWESOME reviews from virtually everyone that touches one.

You're right, though. Having not read anything but the first page of the thread, I think your two major limiting factors here are:

1) Your knowledge level about protography (Which you can fix with reading Understanding Exposure and practice.).

2) Your budget relative to the task at hand and your probable expectations based too heavily on simply $$ spent.

I don't want to beat the Nikon v. Canon thing here but as a Canon shooter, let me share this tidbit that I think many people would agree with me on.

Nikon v. Canon is a virtual toss-up at the level DSLR you're talking about, but (and this is a HUGE "but"), Canon holds a LARGE advantage in AFFORDABLE lenses and variety all-together. Nikon lenses are virtually twice expensive as Canon lenses (I'm not talking about third-party stuff here, obviously.) and they don't have near the collection Canon has.

If you're even still considering a DSLR, don't boot a Canon from the mix too quickly. Glass is a long-term investment, at least it can be and should be. Availability and cost of the same should weigh heavily into any aspiring DSLR owner's list of things to consider.

If your budget has changed since page 1 ($400), I have some very strong opinions. If it hasn't, I probably don't have much for you because I don't think you can get everything you need for your initial goal for that amount of money, at least IMHO. Sorry.

A DSLR is a lifetime investment and must be seen and ammoritized as such for budget purposes.
do you have any good suggestions for a canon DSLR for a photography rookie who's willing to learn?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #67
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Quote:
ok, it's time to put the money where my wish list is! DH wants to go camera shopping tomorrow (i suspect he also wants to go to the woodcraft store to get HIS Christmas gift ), and i still don't know what to get.

i would like:

1. to be able to take good pics of DD15 on the football field (she's in marching band), both close-up and at normal distance;
2. good daylight and low-light shots for vacations, including fireworks
3. good portability
4. ease of use
5. to spend $400 or less; can go as high as $475, if necessary.
6. a P&S, if possible; i can get a nikon D3100 at wal-mart for $499, but didn't really want to spend that much, and would prefer P&S.

i've looked at the sony HX30 and RX100 (can't afford the RX100), the Panasonic TZ30 and FZ200 (can't afford this one either) and Canon SX260. Will any of the remaining 3 do everything i want it to? is there something that would be more suited to my wants/needs?
I cannot believe that the Canon SX40 isn't in that mix, given your parameters. Methinks you need to re-think the mix.

The SX40 is virtually perfect for your requirements, especially given your budget. It's not a perfect camera. There's no such thing, but it will do everything you require, it's a NICE camera (I bought one just to play with intending to return it and decided to keep it simply because of the incredible zoom capabilities for the $$.) for any price, and it's well inside your budget constraints.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #68
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Quote:
do you have any good suggestions for a canon DSLR for a photography rookie who's willing to learn?
Not given your budget number. I can get REALLY close. Are you willing to buy a Canon refurb directly from Canon? Got any old Canon you could trade in (It's called the Canon loyalty program. Look it up!)? BROKEN is actually PREFERRED!

I Can hit some pretty nice nuts if you can meet me somewhere around $500 and get you really nice stuff too.

BTW, I THINK you can get the SX40 under the loyalty program too.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #69
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Take a look at the T2i on this page.

I have a 60D and a T2i and I still love and use my T2i, and not just as a backup camera. It's two models old now but it's still virtually state-of-the-art by many, many standards.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_-1_29252#

And that doesn't include any loyalty discount you may be able to get. You may even be able to shake a long low-end zoom and still come in under or on-budget.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #70
momof1princess

Quote:
I cannot believe that the Canon SX40 isn't in that mix, given your parameters. Methinks you need to re-think the mix.

The SX40 is virtually perfect for your requirements, especially given your budget. It's not a perfect camera. There's no such thing, but it will do everything you require, it's a NICE camera (I bought one just to play with intending to return it and decided to keep it simply because of the incredible zoom capabilities for the $$.) for any price, and it's well inside your budget constraints.
i actually had the SX40 on my list, but i believe (i may be remembering wrong) i marked it off because the reviews for it weren't as good as the SX260; of course, since i didn't know a whole lot about it at that point, i may have been wrong to disqualify it; i was looking strictly at the numbers at that time.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #71
momof1princess

Quote:
Take a look at the T2i on this page.

I have a 60D and a T2i and I still love and use my T2i, and not just as a backup camera. It's two models old now but it's still virtually state-of-the-art by many, many standards.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...0051_-1_29252#

And that doesn't include any loyalty discount you may be able to get. You may even be able to shake a long low-end zoom and still come in under or on-budget.
i like that camera. specs and look of it are great. what is the optical zoom? there's no info on the page. that's a really good price for what you get.

i actually do have a canon camera i could trade in; a powershot A1100IS. it's not broken, but there have been many times i wanted to throw it against a wall, so i could fix that LOL.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:08 PM   #72
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Quote:
i like that camera. specs and look of it are great. what is the optical zoom? there's no info on the page. that's a really good price for what you get.

i actually do have a canon camera i could trade in; a powershot A1100IS. it's not broken, but there have been many times i wanted to throw it against a wall, so i could fix that LOL.
Optical zoom is a fcn of LENSES on DSLRs so there's no need for a spec on them, if I'm reading your question correctly. You can get any optical zoom you want, basically and within the laws of physics, of course, assuming you have a big enough pocket book.

That's one of the beauties of a DSLR. Your reach (optical zoom) is limited only by the depth of your pockets.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #73
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

I'm busting your budget here but take a look at the 55-250 here:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...10051_-1_22751

You'll NEED a lens like that for the reach you needed in your initial post. Even then, it's not going to be the greatest, but it will probably work depending on where you sit.

Don't forget that these cameras have 18 megapixels. That means you can zoom and then CROP to get images even closer depending on theit ultimate use.

I'll leave you to your research.

With the Canon loyalty program and the T2i (WITH kit lens. You'll want that too.) and the 55-250, you'll be MIGHTY close to your budget and your requirements. Certainly within barking distance.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #74
momof1princess

Quote:
I'm busting your budget here but take a look at the 55-250 here:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...10051_-1_22751

You'll NEED a lens like that for the reach you needed in your initial post. Even then, it's not going to be the greatest, but it will probably work depending on where you sit.

Don't forget that these cameras have 18 megapixels. That means you can zoom and then CROP to get images even closer depending on theit ultimate use.

I'll leave you to your research.

With the Canon loyalty program and the T2i (WITH kit lens. You'll want that too.) and the 55-250, you'll be MIGHTY close to your budget and your requirements. Certainly within barking distance.
thanks!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #75
hakepb
DIS Veteran

If you can get a DSLr with a 250mm or greater lens, that is the best option.
(And 250 on a crop body Canon should be a 400mm equivilent. While you would have to crop the pictures a little to equal the others in the 500mm range, they should still be more detailed with the DSLr.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: