DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

Late night check-in - WWYD?

Have ressie for a 1 Bedroom starting 12/01 at SSR. Booked airfare was WAY cheaper to fly-in late night 11/30. (Arrive at resort about 10pm.)

WWYD?

1.) Check in to Value late night (Total cost with AP is $93.) And have the hassle of switching in AM... kinda kills our morning though! BUT leaves us with 21 points to bank into next use year.
2.) Check in to an SSR Studio late night and use 16pts (leaving only 5 to bank into next year.) Knowing full well we'll still have to switch rooms the next day since we aren't in 1br until then. So still the hassle of "switching rooms/luggage."
3.) Check into our regular 1BR late night and have to borrow 10 points from next use year - all for checking in at 10pm. seems like a waste of borrowing for a 10pm check in. BUT saves us the "transfer" next morning.
4.) Check into our regular 1BR late night and purchase the 10pts for about $165 thru the "one time use points" through DVC.

I guess the real question is... how much is it a PITA to transfer the next morning? Is it LESS of a PITA if we are at least AT the same resort? What are the points (for NEXT use year) worth to you? To borrow...or to pay the $165 so next year is a full bank of points?

WWYD and Why?

disneyfan2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan2kids View Post
Have ressie for a 1 Bedroom starting 12/01 at SSR. Booked airfare was WAY cheaper to fly-in late night 11/30. (Arrive at resort about 10pm.)

WWYD?

1.) Check in to Value late night (Total cost with AP is $93.) And have the hassle of switching in AM... kinda kills our morning though! BUT leaves us with 21 points to bank into next use year.
2.) Check in to an SSR Studio late night and use 16pts (leaving only 5 to bank into next year.) Knowing full well we'll still have to switch rooms the next day since we aren't in 1br until then. So still the hassle of "switching rooms/luggage."
3.) Check into our regular 1BR late night and have to borrow 10 points from next use year - all for checking in at 10pm. seems like a waste of borrowing for a 10pm check in. BUT saves us the "transfer" next morning.
4.) Check into our regular 1BR late night and purchase the 10pts for about $165 thru the "one time use points" through DVC.

I guess the real question is... how much is it a PITA to transfer the next morning? Is it LESS of a PITA if we are at least AT the same resort? What are the points (for NEXT use year) worth to you? To borrow...or to pay the $165 so next year is a full bank of points?

WWYD and Why?
I would stay at an airport hotel and arrive at SSR in the morning.
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I would stay at an airport hotel and arrive at SSR in the morning.
I've considered it...but then we are still "traveling" the next morning and not in our room until 4pm. Which (for me) means I'm not really relaxed and on vacation until I'm checked in... bags in room...off park hopping for the whole day not waiting for room any longer.

disneyfan2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
wdwfanatic316
Mouseketeer

That's kind of a toughie but I would either stay at the value resort for one night (more likely) or the studio for one night and save points. I think it kind of depends on how many points you have. For us, we have a small contract (only 91 points) so points are pretty valuable to me. We're actually doing this next month after adding a day- staying our first night at AoA Little Mermaid room after arriving separately at 3:30 and 6:30, then moving to BCV 1 bed the rest of the week. I thought it'd be fun to check out the new AoA resort, and since we're renting a car I don't think the transfer is that big of a deal. I've done split stays before also, and didn't consider that much trouble. Good luck and have fun!
Old 09-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:

WWYD?

WWYD and Why?
Quote:
I've considered it...but then we are still "traveling" the next morning and not in our room until 4pm. Which (for me) means I'm not really relaxed and on vacation until I'm checked in... bags in room ...off park hopping for the whole day not waiting for room any longer.
I prefer to use my 1st 1 or 2 nights to experience resorts that are new to us, staying in a studio making the trip a split stay. I don't mind the switch as long as I can really get a feel for what the 1st resort feels like, which to me means 2 nights.

As for figuring out what to do, you answered yourself there... You are never guaranteed a room before 4pm regardless of where you're switching over from, be it the Airport Hilton, or just another room within the same resort. Sounds like you're best just checking into your 1br room the 1st night and getting settled in.

ETA: I bought the 1 time use points from DVC last year - it was quick, easy and not too awfully priced, I'd do it again to save from borrowing.

Last edited by twinklebug; 09-20-2012 at 12:10 PM.
twinklebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #6
TSMMANIAC
Mouseketeer

I would check in late to the 1BR and borrow the points to do so. Why spend money when you have the points available and why deal with the hassle of moving?
TSMMANIAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
backyardponder
DIS Veteran

I'm always borrowing points from the next year. No big deal to me.
backyardponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
BrerNashville
DIS Veteran

With that late of an arrival -- I'd save the points and check into a value room. I wouldn't think it would be that big of a pain to move rooms -- pack a separate overnight bag and leave everything else packed. After you get ready in the morning, throw the toiletries, PJs and one day of dirty clothes back in the overnight bag and get on with your day. Let Disney move your bags. It would add 10-15 minutes tops to your morning.

It's not nearly as disruptive as having to repack all your stuff for a room change halfway into your stay.
BrerNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

Count us in as staying at a 'cheap' place that night and heading over to check in at Disney in the morning.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
Geomom
Mouseketeer

For me, I don't want to move--I'd just borrow the points and do the 1 br for the whole trip. But then again, we are always borrowing and have never banked points...mainly due to the fact that the resale we bought in 2008 had already used 90% of the points for that year, so we started out 'behind.'

Normally we're out at the parks until late anyway...this way you get to enjoy the resort in the morning/afternoon before you'd normally check in.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
ssawka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geomom View Post
For me, I don't want to move--I'd just borrow the points and do the 1 br for the whole trip. But then again, we are always borrowing and have never banked points...mainly due to the fact that the resale we bought in 2008 had already used 90% of the points for that year, so we started out 'behind.'

Normally we're out at the parks until late anyway...this way you get to enjoy the resort in the morning/afternoon before you'd normally check in.
ITA! I was going to suggest the airport, but in lieu of that, I would just want to settle into "my room" and not have to worry about moving the next morning.

Please show your support for GKTW!

"A man should never neglect his family for business." -W. Disney

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." -W. Disney

"Adults are only kids grown up..." -W. Disney

(Me) (DD 12)

ssawka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
NJOYURLIFE

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeschlicht View Post
Count us in as staying at a 'cheap' place that night and heading over to check in at Disney in the morning.
Me, too. It is no big deal to move and I would rather save the points.

Upcoming 6/22/12 to 7/1/12 VWL, 7/1/12 to 7/15/12 SSR, 7/15 to 7/17 Bay Lake Towers ,4/5/12 Bonnet Creek, 4/6/12 to 4/13/12 Sheraton Vistana, 8/5/11 TO 8/17 Bonnet Creek, 8/17/11 to 8/24/11 SSR, 12/13/09 to 12/17/09 SSR, 6/16/09 TO 7/17/09 AKL Concierge, BWV, BCV & AKL Kidani, 7/27/2008 to 8/24/2008 1 week offsite & then 3 onsite, 6/11/07 to 7/14/07 Various offsite & onsite, 7/31/06 to 8/25/06 Various onsite and offsite, 5/5/06 - FF Bonnet Creek, 5/5/06 to 5/13/06 - OKW, 8/19/05 - FF Bonnet Creek, 8/20/2005 to 8/27/2005 - OKW, 6/14/05 to 6/16/05 - SSR, 6/4/05 to 6/11/05 - OKW, 5/14/04 to 5/21/04 - OKW, 7/6/03 to 7/13/03 - Offsite, 5/12/98 to 5/19/98 - OKW, 7/1/1990 to 7/7/1990 - Disney Villas - Honeymoon, June 1988 Comfort Inn
NJOYURLIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #13
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Do you have plans for next year's points yet? If not, borrow the points to stay in the 1 br. You can always plan next years trip to be one weekend day shorter to make them up. If you have plans for those points, it would totally be worth 165 to me to buy one time points in order to not have to switch rooms. I would like to just get settled in and be ready to start my vacay the next day not have to worry about switching rooms. But then again i have a 2.5 year old and haven't figured out how to travel light with him yet ( we're leaving saturday and my goal is only one check thru but that will take a miracle), and having a room the next day for nap time is VERY important to me right now.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
twotoohappy
Lovin' Pete!
I'll be the one in the evil scar shirt... he he he
Don't bother clapping, it gives the TF a headache ;-)

I'd borrow pts and not have to move rooms. You can always buy pts for the next trip. Our flight gets in at 11pm and we're using points for a room because I don't want the hassle of checking in and out. You can also sleep in if you want!
twotoohappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
kdzgon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've considered it...but then we are still "traveling" the next morning and not in our room until 4pm. Which (for me) means I'm not really relaxed and on vacation until I'm checked in... bags in room...off park hopping for the whole day not waiting for room any longer.
The highlighted part says it all, IMO. Sounds like borrowing the points (or paying the fee) would work best for you.

I'm the opposite - I would either stay at the airport and take ME early in the AM or stay in a value room for the night (with the latter choice being more likely for us). If you do decide to transfer, in my experience there is no advantage to transferring from the same location (eg, SSR to SSR) vs another on-site location (DVC or hotel).

I also think it depends on how long your trip is, and how much park time you plan for that first day. If you would not be in the room anyway, why bother borrowing points just to have the room sooner?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: