Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcire View Post
Is there some sort of class he has always wanted to do but never did? Or could you wrap up your Park District class guide and let him pick an activity? I used to do that with my brother in law when he was 10-13. I pretty much refused to spend money on video games, and this allowed me to give him a gift he liked. Of course I would also drive him to the activity he picked.

He picked some things I would have NEVER imagined he would want to try. Of course mulitple times he picked sports, but he also took a foods class (cooking) and a ceramics class. Never would have guessed this kid would have enjoyed those classes. After a while this became my standing gift, and he knew it so he would pick out his classes in advance.

The only time it came back to bite me in the rear was when he picked an Archery class that was on Saturday morning at 7 am.
Great idea!!!I have always choosen or guided him towards certain activities so letting him pick would be fun and interesting to see what he choosesIf its at 7 in the morning then dh could take him and that would be dh's gift to me
irishsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #17
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

For the teachers, etc., Target GCs. I like Target because they often have Starbucks in there and you can use the card there. And even if you don't like target, you can get toilet paper or some other necessity there. Whatever denomination, even small, generally appreciated.

Re your son,
* clothes
* camping stuff if he likes that -- sleeping bag, tent, etc.
* sport stuff -- soccer ball and cleats, fishing rod, archery set, volleyball, badminton set, snowboard, etc.
* bike/scooter/roller blades (all with safety gear)
* art stuff if he likes that -- paints, sketch pad and pencils, etc.
* camera with a how to book or class
* tickets to local events or courses he might like -- martial arts, behind the scenes stuff at local venues, etc. Kind of the experience gift.
* books -- even if he is not a great reader, there are some fantastic graphic novels. I know Geronimo Stilton books are hugely popular with the local 9YOs so might be about right. Maybe time for Harry Potter!
* GCs for things he likes -- iTunes, local ice cream place or fav restaurant, bowling alley, movie theater, etc.
* hexbug -- the kids seem to really dig those

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsharon View Post
We just did his room a whole space and planets theme.However I really love the beanbag chair ideaWe are trying to encourage our boys to play in the finished basement where all of their stuff is!!!!!!!!!!We just put a tv down there and the wii so maybe with kid friendly seating my living room will stay cleanWhere can you find beanbag chairs?
Depending on how much you want to spend you can find them at places ranging from Walmart to Pottery Barn.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #19
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Okay for a 10 year old boy besides Legos, that is a toughy.

Xbox 360 with Kinect
Basketball hoop or other sports equipment
Skateboad, scooter or new bike
Lego Mindstorms robot kit (if he is into Legos, robots and computer programming this is perfect).
Kindle or other electronic reader
Favorite pro sports team clothes (jerseys, hats, coats)
Tickets to an event
A puppy
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #20
nilseks
DIS Veteran

My son who will be 9 in a few weeks is WAY into sports and wears jerseys almost every day of the week, mainly football and basketball. Lots of boys his age at school wear them too.

For his bday he asked for the new Nerf 'Hail Fire' gun, jerseys, itunes card, and a few specific lego sets.

Both of my boys are always WAY into sports equipment and are always asking more. Apparently you can never have too many footballs, basketballs, baseball bats etc.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilseks View Post
My son who will be 9 in a few weeks is WAY into sports and wears jerseys almost every day of the week, mainly football and basketball. Lots of boys his age at school wear them too.

For his bday he asked for the new Nerf 'Hail Fire' gun, jerseys, itunes card, and a few specific lego sets.

Both of my boys are always WAY into sports equipment and are always asking more. Apparently you can never have too many footballs, basketballs, baseball bats etc.
I can't believe I forgot about nerf guns! We have an entire arsenal here and every year my dses ask for more.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #22
CandyMouse
Mouseketeer

My son is 10 and he really wants the kindle fire! My DH and I both have one and we really enjoy it! He likes to read and play games, so I think this will be great for him and his sister. Carebee21----- Great idea about the scooter, I think my ds would love that! Maybe for his b-day in May! Thanks for posting the link!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #23
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

My soon-to-be 9 year old DS is getting:

Mess kit
Sleeping bag (the kind with a zip out liner)
Fire starting kit (with magnesium bar/magnifying glass/etc)
Legos (he does the kit once then just builds what he likes, so maybe just a bunch of loose legos instead of kits)
Video games (Lego Lord of the Rings for the PS3, something for the Wii or his 3DS)
Maybe a movie or two.

The camping stuff is because he starts as a Webelos Cub Scout in June, and they can go camping without mom. (Dad still goes, as he is the den leader, haha )

We do family gifts too. This year, we're discussing an Xbox 360.

Last year, DS got a drum set, bow and arrow set, and a Daisy BB gun.

For his birthday next month, he's getting some cash (his request), the new Skylander Giants game and a few figures.

We have talked about an ipod, but I don't think I'll buy it--if he wants one, he'll need to earn the money for it. If he has to shell out for the items, he takes better care of them!
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #24
SamiGage
Earning My Ears

Quote:
We just did his room a whole space and planets theme.However I really love the beanbag chair ideaWe are trying to encourage our boys to play in the finished basement where all of their stuff is!!!!!!!!!!We just put a tv down there and the wii so maybe with kid friendly seating my living room will stay cleanWhere can you find beanbag chairs?
Check out Lovesac.com- they are very well made and will last him until he goes to college and needs furniture for a dorm if you are careful
SamiGage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:14 AM   #25
HM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiGage View Post
Check out Lovesac.com- they are very well made and will last him until he goes to college and needs furniture for a dorm if you are careful
Good grief, those are expensive. Cool though....so big.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #26
mrudman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I got older dd one for Christmas from Walmart.. it's a good sized one, but I really like it because unlike classic bean bag chairs, it's a rectangle that actually lays fairly flat (about 12 inches high) so we'll be able to tuck it away a lot easier (hoping it fits under her bed).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Origin...n-Bag/15914188

mrudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #27
SamiGage
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
Good grief, those are expensive. Cool though....so big.
Yeah, they can be pricey, but they last FOREVER and can be repurposed easily by changing the cases. I would also imagine that if you know anything about sewing you could make your own cases, but I'm not nearly that crafty lol

Also, if you go with one of the larger ones they easily double as a place for guests to sleep in a pinch so kids sleepovers would be easy too. I don't have children yet but I've had more than one slightly inebriated friend spend the night on the Lovesac with few complaints (other than it was spinning and they couldn't make it stop ) HTH!
SamiGage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #28
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

Thanks eveyone for all the great ideas!!!!!!Can someone tell me can you get games on the kindle fire just like the ipad(we only have ipods)Also we plan on getting the basketball hoop I just have to research a little to see what one to get.Thanks for the walmart tip on beanbag chairs,I dont want to spend to much on them as ds 6 still spills his drinks often Also about the teachers and others gift ideas I like to give the teachers gift cards but not the others because I like to spend $10 and under on each and giving a $10 giftcard does not look like much....I don't know if that makes sense but sometimes I can find a beautiful holiday plate and put cookies on it and spend$7 per school helper but I'm trying to come up with new ideas because now younger ds has some of the same people older ds had and I dont want to do the same thingThanks everyone you guys are wonderful
irishsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #29
HM

For teachers, a gift card to the movie theater is always a good one to get. $10 will get them in to a night movie here, or a matinee with a bit left over for snack.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #30
tzeitel
Toadi Acceleratio Semper Absurda

So many great ideas! And not just for boys, DD is almost 10 and I have a hard time figuring out what to get her - some great suggestions I will have to look into
Quote:
Thanks eveyone for all the great ideas!!!!!!Can someone tell me can you get games on the kindle fire just like the ipad(we only have ipods):
Yes you can Amazon even has a free app and a specially priced book (lately it has been 2 books, one for adults and one for kids) everyday. There are many free apps and books, plus you can download music and videos. If you have a Netflix or HBO subscription you can watch that on the Kindle - I love the KF, I was just adding books from the library to mine and videos in DD's for our trip next week.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: