Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #16
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Joining in! It looks as though we'll be there at the same time, though this will be my first F&WF. I'm so jealous of the tuna and salmon sensation! I don't think that item is on this year's menus!
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #17
TinkerBelle_325
The Disney Foodie and a Polynesian Obsessive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
Joining in! It looks as though we'll be there at the same time, though this will be my first F&WF. I'm so jealous of the tuna and salmon sensation! I don't think that item is on this year's menus!
Oh you'll love F&W! It is easily the best event at WDW in my opinion. You are right, it's not on this years menu, but I think a version of the tuna & salmon sensation might still exist as an appetizer at Tokyo Dining, if you were so inclined to try it!
**NEW** TheDisneyFoodie Blog....coming soon!
TinkerBelle_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
TinkerBelle_325

SINGLE DIGITS!!

Dear god I *must* be busy...I missed my single digit dance ....well, it's 8 days to go now!

I have, however, taken the opportunity to check out AJ's posts over on The Disney Food Blog and I am positively drooling over the F&W booth items! Some are very different than I imagined and having seen the pictures I am even more excited.

Based on looks alone here is my cravings list:

1. Canada's Filet with Truffle Butter Sauce!

This looks so much better than I imagined! I can almost taste it just by looking at the pictures.

2. New Zealand's Lamb Meatball

Um, hello!? This is served in a yorkshire pudding! How cool is that?? It looks delicious.

3. Florida Local's White Corn Arepa with Mangalitsa Pork Rilette and Zellwood Sweet Corn Salad

This was one of the prettiest presentations I have seen so far this year! The creamy pork rilette, the griddled arepa and the sweet corn sound like a perfect combination to me.

4. Australia's Lamb Chop with Mint Feta Pesto and Potato Crunchies

I have to admit I was skeptical when I first read this menu description, but it looks amazing. I adore salt and vinegar potato chips and think the addition of a crunchy texture to the lamb will be great.

5. Japan's Spicy Hand Roll

While it really isn't a "hand roll" in the traditional sense, this still sounds wonderful. Put spicy mayo on any sushi an I'm in!

6. Terra's Trick'n Chick'n Curry & Chili Colorado

I never thought I'd be saying I want to try Vegan food. I've tried Tofu and I think it is disgusting but these items look so beautiful that I am dying to give them a try.

7. Poland's Zapikanki

First off, cool name! This cheese bread looks interesting, kind of like a Polish pizza bun. I'm intrigued to see what the housemade ketchup tastes like.

8. Mexico's Tequila Sampler

What a smart idea! I know they have been offering a sampler in La Cava del Tequila for some time, but this presentation is adorable! I'm excited to try!

9. Germany's Schinken Nudel

Wow! This looks like awesome mac & cheese. In fact, it reminds DMom and I of a baked mac & cheese that existed in The Land food court when it was run by Kraft. It was soooo good! Let's hope this item can bring back those fond memories.

10. Italy's Ravioli di Formaggio All’emiliana and Salsiccia e “Papacelli” Napoletan

Both of these items look beautiful. The sausage and peppers is entirely different than what I pictured (I thought more of a sandwich). I am hoping the baked ravioli is reminiscent of the baked ziti from a few years ago.

Now, I should get back to work....oh by the way here's what my school checklist looks like:

COMPLETED
- Finance Labs 1, 2 & 3
- Finance Assignment 1
- Corporate Social Responsibility Reflection Paper
- Corporate Social Responsibility Assignment
- Human Resources Group Selection

NEARLY COMPLETE
- Career Assignment
- Human Resources Case Analysis
- Strategy Case PowerPoint
- Strategy Case Written Report

IN PROGRESS
- Research Presentation Questions
- Research PowerPoint Shell
- Research Proposal - Phase I

Thankfully, the "NEARLY COMPLETE" category will be "COMPLETE" by tomorrow and the IN PROGRESS aren't due until after I return from Florida!

Thanks again for reading and I'll update again soon.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
TinkerBelle_325

The Best Laid Plans...

Hi Everyone! Only 4 days to go!!

This is usually the point in time where I would lament about...."Dealing with an Indecisive DD (DDad and Disney Diner)"! For those that have read my previous reviews, you will know that my DDad enjoys "challenging" me by asking me to obtain impossible dining reservations just a few days before the desired dining date.

**Que Flashback**

“Hey Meg….can I see the itinerary?...”

Oh god…I’m screwed….he is going to want to change something, or he will ask me to obtain the impossible reservation. I understand he wants some flexibility, but for heaven’s sake, he has been to WDW as often as me, he knows that dining reservation book out months in advance….doesn’t he?

I groan and hand it over, waiting to see what his changes are.

“Why aren’t we eating at Flame Tree BBQ when we go to the Animal Kingdom?”

“I told you Dad, Flame Tree BBQ is closed for refurbishment until Sept 20th.”

“But you also said it might open early!”

“Key word being MIGHT Dad, I said might! It's Disney...remember how long it took them to open Test Track?? Right now it looks like it is behind schedule.”

“But I want to eat there!”

“So do I, but we'll do that in October.”

As an aside: We will do that in October has become a bit of a running joke in our family. We stayed at WDW during Tropical Storm Faye and it prevented us from doing several activities we had planned. As we were returning in late October for the F&W Festival we began saying "We'll do that in October" and as you can imagine the list of things we were doing in October got laughably big.

“Ok…fine...”

So DDad continues to look over the itinerary.

“You know, the Grand Floridian Cafe looks a bit…blah…why don’t we eat somewhere else that night?”

“Um…ok. Well The Wave should be pretty easy to get.”

“Ok, that sounds good, I liked The Wave.”

I go onto the WDW and easily find a reservation for The Wave, and just as I am finishing up and getting my confirmation number…

“What about the California Grill?”

“We are eating there on your anniversary.”

“I know, but what about California Grill instead of The Wave.”

“What?? Are you kidding? After Le Cellier, and outside of Cinderella’s Royal Table, California Grill is the holy grail of dining reservations. I barely got one for your anniversary and it was at a crappy time, but I got it. Besides, I've been looking for weeks and the California Grill is booked solid.”

“I’m sure you can get us in on the 7th as well.”

“No. I can’t.”

"We will just have to see when we get there. Maybe we can just walk up."

I was emphatic that there was no way on god’s green earth that I could get us a SECOND California Grill reservation, one week away! I just laughed at his suggestion to "walk-up" and said that MAYBE we could eat at the lounge but it would have to be right at the start of dinner service.

But, being the curious person I am, I checked out the WDW website this morning…I entered Sept 7th, dinner, 3 adults and smugly waited as the website processed. I was absolutely sure I was going to get “No dinner reservations are available 09/07/10.”

Then it happened….

No way….

That is not possible….

9:40pm available.

Crap. I’m never going to live this down. So I made the reservation and resigned myself to the fact that DDad would mock my lack of faith in spontaneity.

Then, I felt an Alice in Wonderland moment hit me…curiouser and curiouser…I entered Sept 5th…absolutely sure that there would be no availability and we would be stuck with out 5:40pm reservation.

Good lord…..would you look at that….

7:45pm available

So I re-booked that dinner as well.

Sadly, now he is never going to believe that last minute dining reservation changes are as impossible as I make them out to be.

But such is life with an Indecisive DDad.

**End Flashback**

As fun as that story is.....this time.....the person making the changes just days before we leave for WDW......was.....ME!

You see, we started out with a "No Signature Dining" policy for this trip. Then a few weeks ago we decided we couldn't live without a dinner at California Grill, so I added that.

Well, yesterday we received a delivery from a wine of the month club. Often they include a food item as well. As soon as we opened the box, this intoxicating spicy scent wafted out. It was allspice, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander.....it was JIKO! I swear, I was instantly transported to Jiko

So this trip it was my turn....

"Hey Dad.....are you sure you don't want to go to Jiko this trip?"

"Um...didn't we say only 1 signature meal this trip?....But I do love Jiko."

"That spice blend, doesn't it make you want the crispy beef bobotie rolls? The tandoori butter? The amazing Rudi Shultz Shiraz....?"

"Ha! Is this what it feels like when I do this to you?"

"Yup, pretty much. So what time should I make the reservation for?"

AND now we have swapped Kona Cafe for Jiko
Old 10-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #20
TinkerBelle_325

Tomorrow!

16 hours! We are leaving in 16 hours.....and I have so much to do!!

We are leaving our house at 2:30am....I know crazy right? But we are flying out of Buffalo and our flight is 6am, so we need to arrive at about 4:30am.

Most of my To Do tasks center around packing:
- charge iPad, Nook, iPhone, MacBook, Camera & iPod (yeah, I travel with a lot of technology)
- print travel confirmations
- pack clothes, toiletries and carry on bags

Just so you all know, I'll be doing some live updates from the parks on my twitter account, @meganhuntley

I have updated the "Dining Line Up" on the first page and it will double as a Table of Contents.

I have also started a Trip Report Thread for those interested We'll Do It In October! A Fun, Fall, Food & Wine Festival Trip Report
Old 10-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #21
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Joining in for the upcoming live reviews! I cant wait to see F&W pics. We are going next Oct and I cant wait. I'm also following you on Twitter now
Old 10-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #22
TinkerBelle_325

Day 1 - October 7th (Part 1)

Hi everyone!

We have arrived And I have officially been up 20 hours on about 3 hours of sleep

Our flights were uneventful and the airport food was, well, airport food

By the time we arrived on Disney property we were starving so we headed to....

Wolfgang Puck Express

It was surprisingly busy for 2pm and the staff were a bit out of it. There were three staff members behind the counter, but only 1 would take orders at any given time

Regardless, we enjoyed the food thoroughly.

DDad had the Crispy Chicken Strips

DMom had the Chinois Chicken Salad

I had the Four Cheese Macaroni

As usual, everything was delicious and we each shared our items. I swear, I could eat that Chinois salad every day!

Continued in next post...
Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #23
TinkerBelle_325

Day 1 - October 7th (Part 2)

Food & Wine Festival: Night 1

We were pleasantly surprised by the Food & Wine Festival tonight. We entered Epcot around 5:30pm and while it was a bit crowded, we have seen it MUCH worse during Food & Wine. The booths all had lines, but we never waited more than 5 minutes to place an order and never more than 2 minutes to pick up an order.

My rating system for F&W this year is as follows:
Not calorie worthy
Happy to have tried the item
Repeatable
Out of this World!

Our first stop was Canada!

Clockwise from the top:
- Moosehead Beer
- Wild Mushroom Beef Filet with Truffle Butter Sauce
- Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup

Our biggest surprise: The Filet! This was so much better than I was expecting! It was cooked between medium rare and medium and it was well seasoned and earthy.

Next up: Greece!

Clockwise from the top:
- Chicken Souvlaki with Tsaziki
- Spanakopita
- Griddled Greek Cheese with Pistachios and Honey

Our biggest surprise: The Souvlaki! It was honestly better than our local Greek restaurant (and this is saying something! We go there twice a month!). Very well seasoned, tender and juicy. The pita could be improved a bit though.

Our tour continued with:
Hawaii

Clockwise from the top:
- Kona Big Wave Golden Ale
- Kalua Pork Slider with Sweet and Sour Dole Pineapple Chutney and Spicy Mayo
- Tuna Poke with Seaweed Salad and Lotus Root Chip

Our biggest surprise: The Golden Ale! We thought we were in love with Longboard Lager, this is even better! So complex and yet so smooth.

We took a break from the food with: Craft Beers

This was sampler number 1:
- Abita Purple Haze
- Red Hook Pilsner
- Florida Beer Company's Devil's Triangle
- Full Sail IPA

The biggest surprise: We all disagreed on favorites! Meg: Purple Haze, DMom & DDad: Full Sail IPA

Last for the evening: Ireland

- Kerrygold Cheese Selection: Irish Aged Cheddar, Dubliner and Cashel Blue with Apple Chutney and Brown Bread
- Warm Chocolate Lava Cake with Baileys Ganache ( for DDad, I know, he is weird )

Our biggest surprise: We were a bit disappointed in the cheese plate this year. It was just a bit weaker than previous years as the irish aged cheddar and dubliner are quite similar in flavour profile.

Well, that's it for tonight folks! Tomorrow I will have Liberty Tree Tavern, Via Napoli & more Food & Wine! Thanks for reading!
[/SIZE]
Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #25
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Great start so far! Looking forward to seeing more tomorrow
Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #26
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Taking notes. For Nov.!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #27
AvasMommy526
Mouseketeer

Awesome start!! Everything looks so good, especially that filet, I can't wait!

AvasMommy526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #28
chocolateMinnie
DIS Veteran

wow what a start - amazing photos - have a great trip

chocolateMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #29
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Yay you started!! Is the griddled greek cheese bitter at all??

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:25 AM   #30
TinkerBelle_325

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrapagliasotti View Post
Joining in for the upcoming live reviews! I cant wait to see F&W pics. We are going next Oct and I cant wait. I'm also following you on Twitter now
Thanks for reading! The in-park WiFi can be a bit spotty, so I haven't done many twitter updates, but I'll do a few more today

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
I'm so in for this one !! Loving your reviews !! Can't wait to read more !!
Thank you! Next reviews coming up in a few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrapagliasotti View Post
Great start so far! Looking forward to seeing more tomorrow
Sorry about the lack of an update yesterday! I have reviews coming up right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Z View Post
Taking notes. For Nov.!
Great! I'll let you know what F&W items we like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvasMommy526 View Post
Awesome start!! Everything looks so good, especially that filet, I can't wait!
The filet was amazing, it absolutely exceeded my expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolateMinnie View Post
wow what a start - amazing photos - have a great trip
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Yay you started!! Is the griddled greek cheese bitter at all??
The cheese isn't bitter at all. It was a similar texture to mozzarella, and had a flavour like a mild cheddar, a touch of sharpness. The honey adds a lot of sweetness.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: