Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #16
ctl
Mouseketeer

I think 2 days is very optimistic

It takes 2 days to drive from Texas to Orlando (if you stop for sleep that is). Did you consider letting your kids and husband fly and you driving by yourself? I know that sounds miserable, but it really is too long for your kids and hubby to be stuck in the car. (Both ways you would lose at least 4 days.) Your hubby needs to be able to decompress and driving across country is no picnic. I understand your anxiety, perhaps try talking to your doc for some medication. Good luck, it's a hard decision. Maybe you and your family could make a real trip across the country, taking time to sleep and see the sights or drive down to Disneyland?.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Sorry, but I wouldn't do it. With the short window of time you DH has home...I wouldn't want to spend it in a car fighting traffic. I would go to the dr and get some Xanax and just get on the plane. It takes 2 days from MN to get to Orlando. I would say you are looking at at least 3 each way, if not more. I wouldn't do it at all..

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #18
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal2007 View Post
we haven't been to dw since 2009. We moved to wa state right after our last trip. Well i don't fly. Thank heavens my husband's job hasn't required us to fly. The last time i was flew was the day before 9 11. Anyway. My husband is going to korea for a year and i was thinking about going to dw when he comes home on leave next year. He is in the army. I wanted to drive. From here to fl. Take 2 weeks to do disney and other things. The trip down will be 2 days or more.

Would you do it? Our kids are 9 and 13 and i think they would be more then fine in the car for that long. I really want to go. So bad that it kinda depresses me when i think about how far we are. Sooo am i nuts!
Yes, you're nuts.

I won't even drive from PA. There is no way that I could imagine driving almost 2500 miles and back. And I certainly wouldn't try to do it in 2 days. Google maps says it's 49 hours from the southeast corner of Washington to Walt Disney World. And that would be with no rest stops or traffic delays or stopping for a night to catch some sleep.

If flying is out of the question, consider taking Amtrak. The trip will take twice as long but you would have the luxury of getting up and stretching your legs anytime you want. It wouldn't be cheap but you would arrive a little less frazzled.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
msmama
DIS Veteran

Yeah, 2 days driving is NOT going to happen.

I've done the cross country drive several times and it's been a minimum of 4 days one way(and that was hard).

If you're going to make it a road trip, there is A LOT to see and do in the country, but if you're really just doing Disney and back - take the drugs and fly. (Take a red eye, take a sedative before you get on the plane and sleep the whole way).
Old 09-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #20
runsandjumps
DIS Veteran

I would think driving would take more like 4 days. With your kids being older they should do great. If you feel like you can handle 8 days driving then have fun.
runsandjumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #21
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Holy Cow!!!!! That is a crazy drive!!!!! I would check into meds for flying or not go. I am dreading my 12 hour drive to FL from our home in VA in a month!! We have 3 kids that will be in the car with us...17, 13, and 5. I may just check into meds for ME
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #22
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Can I make another suggestion? Go to Disneyland!

We moved to WA after many years living in NC. We loved our WDW road trips. We promised ourselves we would continue annual vacations there. We went to WDW for three years before I finally convinced myself to give Disneyland a try.

I never could have imagined how I would fall in love with Disneyland! Please join us over at the Disneyland forum or give a listen to a Disneyland podcast or two. It really is an incredible place! Plus California Adventure has Carsland now!

We bought annual passes after that first trip! We always flew because we had Allegiant Air here. They no longer fly to LA so we decided to do a road trip in August. We are in the eastern part of the state, so it took us 18+ hours to get there. We stopped about halfway at Redding, spent the night and was at the Disneyland gates by 4pm. The drive really was easy.

We got up early on our return day and made it halfway at 1pm. We decided to just keep driving and were in our own beds by 10:30. My husband and I switched off every 4 hours and it worked out fine.

Disneyland can be a wonderful alternative...you won't be disappointed!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #23
Doodlebug939
DIS Veteran

I havent looked into this but maybe you should check into taking a train and see how long that would be. No driving and could be an adventure. Just throwing an idea out there.
Doodlebug939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #24
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

The train won't get then to Orlando, at least the last time I checked. After Katrina the rails between New Orleans and Florida aren't used. They would have to go all the way up to NC from LA, then down the east coast.

And Amtrak takes AGES. Don't get me wrong, I love the train. But if time is important, this is NOT the way to go.

It's going to take you longer than 2 days. It's going to be expensive with gas, hotels, sightseeing, and meals. It's also going to be FUN and amazing.

I don't know when you'll be going, but if you're going over the passes between Fall and later Spring, you're going to be dealing with snow, and you'd better be ready for that, both with chains and equipment in the car and TIME, in case you're stuck, for example, on Snoqualmie Pass or north of Shasta (depending on what route you're thinking of), for hours and hours, or even have to stop and get a hotel there because it's not passable.

I can't wait for some long car and train trips with DS! I need him to be a bit older and more patient, though.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #25
disykat
DIS Veteran

Depends on the 13 year old!

Honestly, If I only had two weeks I do California instead. I wouldn't drive that far (remember, you have to come back too!) unless I had at LEAST 4 or 5 days for each direction.

A two week trip to California would be awesome though. The Redwoods, San Francisco, the coastal drive from Monterey to Los Angeles, DL, Hollywood, San Diego Zoo, etc. On the way back you could hit Yosemite. Or a little more time and you could get over to the Grand Canyon!
Old 09-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #26
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

We did a military move from Tampa to Alaska. We drove to Bellingham, Washington before taking the ferry most the rest of the way. It's a lot different when the military is paying you for food, hotels and gas along the way though.

If it's the only way to get to Disney I would do it. I'd much prefer to fly though. I would try to make a road trip of it though and stop in interesting places and see a few things along the way.

I think Disneyland would be a better suggestion.

I would never be able to talk my husband into that long of a drive after a long flight from Korea.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #27
stayhomemom77
Dieting my way to Disney!!

I moved from Ontario to B.C. and we've driven to Orlando twice from Ontario (18 hours) with kids as small as 4 and 6. Now that we live in B.C. we've driven back to Ontario (2500 miles, abt 40 hours) with kids 7 and 9. We did it in 3 days hard driving and my husband stayed home. That meant one driver. Me.

Just a gentle reminder...you lose three hours on the way there...not always fun when driving straight through.

We like road trips and it's much cheaper so we were willing to do it. I'd totally drive to Orlando from here if I got the chance.

What does your hubby think about the idea? Is he willing to drive all that way?

I don't think you're crazy but that's a serious commitment and if you don't like road trips...not much fun for a vacation.

Good luck on your decision!!
stayhomemom77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #28
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

OP, i don't think you're nuts, but, personally, i wouldn't do it. it's a 9-10 hour drive just from where i live (NE alabama) to WDW, and that is painful enough, i honestly can't imagine driving all the way from WA to WDW.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #29
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

My family had this conversation recently. When we were stationed at Ft. Lewis we would drive down to Disneyland and we fell in love with it. But now we are in NC and the kids would rather go to Disneyland that DW because they really want to see Carsland. It's just too expensive to fly for our family of 7 and it would take about 4 days for the drive so we had to say no.

We did it for our move to WA and our move back to NC, but we stopped along the way to sightsee, sometimes staying for two nights if there were some additional things in the area that interested us. I actually don't think your drive there would be that bad because you would have WDW to look forward to, but your drive back home will really drag on.

For a short, more budget trip, we also enjoyed a visit to Silverwood in Idaho. That area is really nice and we found a lot of things to do. But for a Disney fix I would definitely check out Disneyland.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #30
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

Have you dicussed this with your husband? How long is his mid tour? its a bit over 3100 miles from tacoma to orlando-the two days google maps give you assumes a constant speed of 60 miles an hour no stops -it translates to 50 hours of driving-with out stops-given the military mandate that you are not supposed to cover more than 500 miles a day you are looking at more like 6 days each way. Moderating that to what will really happen you are looking at more like 4 if you kids are small. so 8 days on the road and 14 in orlando is only even a possiblity if he takes 30 days-and even then you are asking him to fly 14 hours across 15 time zones and then get in a car, travel 4 days, spend two weeks in theme parks, drive 4 days home-and go 14 hours and 15 timezones back the other way. While it has the potential to be thet trip of a life time it can also be a lot for someone who may just want to come home and chill out with you and the kids after 6 months away. My husband would be furuious if i planned something like that with out dicussing it with him.
Im with the go to Disney land crowd-he can come home-hang a couple of days, you can take a leisurely drive down the coast, enjoy disney land drive home and he can still have time to relax before he goes back.
what ever you do the most important thing is to enjoy the family time you get. Im assuming you are not looking to command sponser in korea because the idea of the flight over is too much for you? I can understand that totally.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: