Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Hot Tub

Do you have one? Do you love it? Hate it? Do you use it in the winter? Is this something I could safely buy used or would it be better to bite the bullet and get a new one?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
disney_me
disney fan

We have had ours now for 6 years and we love it! Bought ours new and just had to replace the motor last winter ($600.00) DH uses it every day and I'm more of a twice a week person. Our hot tub gets used all year round. In the summer we lower the temp to about *90 and in the winter it stays at *104. That's the max temp. We empty our tub every 3 months and give it a good cleaning. My DH takes care of all the chemicals and Ph levels, I just enjoy it!

I say if your budget allows you to purchase a new hot tub. Then get a new one. We were able to sit in the hot tubs ( empty ones!) at the showroom. I'm on the short side so it was important to me to be able to sit in the tub and not drown. Also, look for foot room!...... Sounds stupid but it makes a big difference when you have 2-4 people sitting in it.

Good luck in your decision!
Birthday, MAR. 2013, Waiting for another trip to plan!!

pweyl36 is my big sister
disney_me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Do you have one? Yes!
Do you love it? Absolutely!!
Do you use it in the winter? Yep even here in the frozen Midwest. It is super! We keep it at 104 in the winter and between 100-102 in the summer. Our hot tub is installed so that the cover when off (on the cover lift) blocks the north wind.
Is this something I could safely buy used or would it be better to bite the bullet and get a new one? I am hesitant to recommend used because we have used our warranty a few times. If you can find a factory direct place that sells new and used they may offer some type of warranty and that would be better.
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:

Last edited by 4HppyCamprs; 11-13-2011 at 08:06 PM.
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

We have one my parents gave us a few years ago. The novelty wore off in a couple years and frankly I'm too cheap to pay to heat it even in the summer. (I'd probably pass out looking at an electric bill for winter usage!) We have not had it filled in 2-3 years. I'd be happy to sell but DH wants to hold onto it.

Something to keep in mind- the purchase price is just a small piece. The chemicals weren't bad, but the electricity was too much for justify for us.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
cathyce2
Mouseketeer

Yes we have one and it was great fun for the first year or so. Then the novelty wore off and it sat unused for awhile. We drained it when I was expecting DD who will be 8 next month. Now we use it to store outdoor toys. Total waste of $$$
Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
The Princess
Smiles everytime a check is written
Would go to Disney in a heartbeat
Likes rootbeer floats at the MK

We've had ours for 5 years and love it!!! Have heard alot of people say the novelty will wear off and you wont use it but we still use it a lot. It was well worth every penny we spent on it.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #7
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HppyCamprs View Post
Do you have one? Yes!
Do you love it? Absolutely!!
Do you use it in the winter? Yep even here in the frozen Midwest. It is super! We keep it at 104 in the winter and between 100-102 in the summer. Our hot tub is installed so that the cover when off (on the cover lift) blocks the north wind.
Is this something I could safely buy used or would it be better to bite the bullet and get a new one? I am hesitant to recommend used because we have used our warranty a few times. If you can find a factory direct place that sells new and used they may offer some type of warranty and that would be better.
Adding: we have had ours for 5 years and for us the electricity might be 15.00 in the winter and maybe 5.00 in the summer. It was not enough to notice a difference in the bill when it was off for a few months. In addition chemicals are very reasonable if you use the correct amount. Our dealer suggested a less is more approach and according to our tub and test strips it works
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Thank you for all of your insights! We have an above ground pool that we swim in daily in the summer, and in the winter months we just really miss that time together (DH, DS8 and myself). Our pool has a salt system and is very easy to take care of, so will have to research the chemical use. As for the electric, I would guess it wouldn't be much more than what we spend in the summer for the pool? Again, more to research.

The pool needs a new skimmer basket, so while I'm there I'm going to look at hot tubs.

I tried to get DH to build me a dome and solar heating system for the pool, but somehow I don't think it would be enough - we love our 90 degree pool water LOL
Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #9
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

We have one and get in it maybe 2-3 times a year. I love getting in it, but hate getting out during the Winter . We have an in-ground pool and we use that a lot more than we do the hot tub. It's nice to have though whenever we want to use it or when we're having sore muscles/achy pains .
Old 11-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

We have it one and use it almost daily. We have a 2-3 man model, because our house isn't wired for anything bigger.

In the dead of winter, use tapers off quite a bit because I am just not happy about wading through a blizzard in a wet bathing suit to get back inside the house. We just used it this morning though, so we are still going strong - and its 31°, windy, and snowing a bit.

However, it just isn't worth it to pay to have it winterized, then then un-winterize it come spring. We have tested the difference between our electric bill when it is running, or unplugged, and the difference is about $12 a month.

We really couldn't do without ours, my DH has back issues, and sometimes this is the only way he can keep moving - it's therapy for his back.

We did get ours used, my grandfather was moving to an assisted living place 6 years ago and didn't need his anymore, so he offered it to us. We have had to replace the master board (electronics), but other than that, have had no issues, all motors etc are still going strong.

Upcoming California and Disneyland Pre-Trip!
"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
jimaok
Mouseketeer

We have a 1985 Aqua Spa ( my wife's freind gave it to us). I have replaced the main controls, heater and pump. We love it. My electric is nominal even during the coldest months ( you have to have it covered when not in use) we keep it at 100-102 degrees year round. We especially like to get into it when the snow is flying or it's a cold crisp night with all the stars out. We use it several times a week. It does get cold here in Ohio.
jimaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
lucigo
DIS Veteran

Hi all, OP here with more questions. I am revisiting this thread because we had to move from Florida to Virginia and I'm having major pool withdrawals. We are in a rental house for probably a year or two before we consider buying here. I'm thinking again about a hot tub for that quality time with DH and son. So here are my questions...

Placement? I know we are going to freeze in the winter but guessing we can't put the hot tub on the deck?

Voltage? Also thinking since we know this isn't a permanent home, we should probably get the plug and use type rather than the 220V type, so wanted to ask your opinion on that.

Snakes? We back up to a wooded area and have already had a snake in the garage YIKES!!! Do snakes get into hot tubs??

Chlorine versus salt? We have a salt system on our Florida home pool and I love it. Does anyone here have a salt system on their hot tub? Opinions?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #13
ntink
DIS Veteran

this is the hot tub we have
http://www.hotspring.com/shop-hot-tu...ghlife/grandee

we love it and use it quite frequently. It is a little under 2 years old

It is a few steps outside our back door and sits on a patio built from crushed stone base topped with concrete paver blocks.

It uses the salt system. DH handles all the chemicals. We drain & clean it about every 3 months

It needs to be hard-wired so you will need to get an electrician.
9/99 Wilderness Lodge; 1/00 Coronado Springs
9/00 Shades of Green; 10/02 Polynesian Con
3/04 Wilderness Lodge; 8/05 Shades of Green
3/06 Port Orleans R; 8/06 Animal Kingdom Lodge
3/07 Girls only @ Swan; 11/07 Beach Club
5/08 DH & I alone @ Dolphin; 7/10 Disneyland Paris
4/11 Boardwalk Villas; 3/13 Beach Club Villas
7/14 Coronado Springs
ntink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
NeverlandClub23
Jon Bon Jovi's secret lover
I miss the big talking pile of leaves and trash
It makes me laugh to sing it like a drunk old man would sing it

Nevermind, just saw that it was an old thread and since I can't give any suggestions on any of your other questions, I will delete it
Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
dhuba
Mouseketeer

We just purchased one this past May and we use it about twice a week or when time permits. We only got the 3 person model because I knew it would be my husband and myself most of the time and I wasn't going to heat a larger model all year just because we might have company that wanted to use just a few times a year. I really haven't notice much difference in the electric bill and it really only uses a small amount of chemicals. I don't know if I will use it much in the winter. I get goosebumps all over when I go in on a chilly night, even if it's set to 104, but I'm always cold.
dhuba is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: