Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
disneygal2007
He's my Soldier and I am his Princess

AM I crazy????

We haven't been to DW since 2009. We moved to WA state right after our last trip. Well I don't fly. Thank heavens my husband's job hasn't required us to fly. The last time I was flew was the day before 9 11. Anyway. My husband is going to Korea for a year and I was thinking about going to DW when he comes home on leave next year. He is in the Army. I wanted to drive. From here to FL. Take 2 weeks to do Disney and other things. The trip down will be 2 days or more.

Would you do it? Our kids are 9 and 13 and I think they would be more then fine in the car for that long. I really want to go. So bad that it kinda depresses me when I think about how far we are. SOOO am I nuts!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
YachtClubWoman
Mouseketeer

I would never drive that long if I can be there in hours.

My husband does not like to fly. After a major panic attack one time,he now takes xanax 1 hr pre-flight and 1 while boarding and has no issues. He has flown numerous times including a flight to Munich to join me on a business trip.

I suggest talking to your family dr. I don't think it is fair to your husband to spend all that time in a car driving - to me that is no vacation.
YachtClubWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
Sheaboys
DIS Veteran

I drove from Massachusetts to California. Do it! What an experience. At that time I did not have kids. But I have driven to Florida from MA, several times, the last time I did it alone with 4 kids (they were 10,8,6 and 21 months). I did it with 1 overnight. It was so relaxing. We enjoyed stops on the way to get out and eat in the grass. On the way home, I decided to stop in DC, which we did for a few hours, saw the WWII monument, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Memorial, etc.
So you are not crazy to do it, just give yourself plenty of time.

Our August 2012 Free Dining Review. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2990330

Mom to 5 little boys
WDW-various days during the 70's and 80's as a child. DisneyLand-July 1991, DisneyWorld-April 1992 offsite
Caribbean Beach-June 1995 honeymoon, All Stars Sports-December 1998, All Star Movies- November 2000 (me, my mom and the 2 boys) DTD Hotel - May 2001, All Star Movies-September 2001 (me, the 2 boys and my girlfriend), Disneyland-December 2003 (us and the 3 boys), POR-October 2nd-8th 2005 (us and the 3 boys)Caribbean Beach-August 25, 2012-September 2,2012
POR-August 2014 (16th-26th)

(dh43) (me 43) (16)(14)(12)(8) (5)
Sheaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I'd only do it if I were going to stop and do some other sightseeing along the way. Take one of those two weeks at WDW to do things along your route there and back (and plan an interesting route).
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal2007 View Post
We haven't been to DW since 2009. We moved to WA state right after our last trip. Well I don't fly. Thank heavens my husband's job hasn't required us to fly. The last time I was flew was the day before 9 11. Anyway. My husband is going to Korea for a year and I was thinking about going to DW when he comes home on leave next year. He is in the Army. I wanted to drive. From here to FL. Take 2 weeks to do Disney and other things. The trip down will be 2 days or more.

Would you do it? Our kids are 9 and 13 and I think they would be more then fine in the car for that long. I really want to go. So bad that it kinda depresses me when I think about how far we are. SOOO am I nuts!
Count me as another one who wouldn't make that drive! From my house to WDW is 26 hours and I won't drive that.

Having said that, there are plenty of people who do drive that kind of a distance for a variety of reasons. Check out the transportation board for tips from long distance drivers.

Personally, I would see my Dr. if I had any kind of irrational fear that was that was forcing me not to do something I truly wanted to do.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
ellie05
DIS Veteran

No way I would do it. I have driven across the country because we were moving but I would never do it for vacation unless it was a road trip and I was stopping along the way a lot.

Last edited by ellie05; 09-22-2012 at 04:26 PM.
ellie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
arihillfarm
Mouseketeer

I wouldn't put my husband through that, especially if he only gets 2 weeks R&R and he'll already by messed up enough coming from Korea with the time change and getting used to being home again. For a longer, 3-4 week road trip with a few days at a destination like Disney (cue "Holiday Road" music from National Lampoon's Vacation, LOL!), I'd do it but not with a short military leave. We drive to Disney from Ohio, and it's an 1100 mile, 2 day trip with a stop at my mother's overnight in Atlanta (and maybe a few days more to visit with her coming or going). We drive because it's cheaper than flying 5 people and we don't have hotels to pay for between home and Florida, but over your much longer distance with gas, food and lodging, you'd probably double your cost versus flying and add many days to your vacation that could be spent at Disney.

-Astrid
arihillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
AuntieKels
Mouseketeer

I think it's TOTALLY up to your family. I have done multiple cross country car trips and love them. My hubby and I really like having that time to listen to audio books together, chat and see the coutryside. If the vacation time works for you, you plan destinations along the way and your family agrees to it - DO IT! It's great quality time together after a long deployment.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #9
StephMK
DIS Veteran

It will be a lot longer than 2 days, even if you plan to drive non-stop. For 2 weeks, I don't think there is enough time to drive there, back and try to recover on vacation in-between.

I would be all for a cross country road trip with lots of stops to see other things along the way but in this case, there doesn't seem to be enough time. If you're going to do a trip like that, the journey has to be part of the vacation.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Crazy4Disney06
DIS Veteran

I would not make that long of a drive if I had to be on a schedule. You can fly from Seattle overnight on Alaska and the flight is only 5 1/2 hours to Orlando and no layovers! What is your reason for not flying? Maybe a trip to Disneyland would be better? We have made that drive many times from Oregon to Anaheim and it can be done in a day or two if you make lots of stops... beats cross country for sure!
9-96 ~ WDW - Wilderness Lodge / 6-98 ~ DL (graduation gift) - FairField Inn/ 3-00 ~ DL (DisneyMoon) - Stovalls Inn / 5-03 ~ DL - Super 8/ 7-04 ~ DL - Hyatt Regency Orange County/ 8-21 - 8-27-07 ~ WDW - POP / 10/11 - 10/19/08 ~ WDW - CBR & Disney Wonder / DL ~ 10/5 - 10/9/09 Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel / 12/15 - 12/20/2011 ~ Our first Holiday Season with Mickey @ ASMu / Villas At Disney's Grand Californian Hotel ~ D 12/16 - 12/21/12 /Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 1/16 - 1/20/14 /Aulani Hawaiian Resort 8/24 - 8/30/14 / Next Up: / Tinkerbell Half Marathon Weekend @ DL 5/7 - 5/11/15

DVC Owners Since 3/2012
Crazy4Disney06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal2007 View Post

No. you're not nuts. It can be done and with an UPbeat planned car trip, probably have the best time ever with your family!
Some of the the best memories I have as a child are us five kids crammed into the back of a station wagon for our all day, then overnight trip down the eastern seaboard to Fla..and ultimately Disney...mom and dad planned those trips and we did them several times a year...OH the memories...like two days of frying up chicken to bring along for the trip...and the South of the Boarder Stop and the Signage on I95...What fun times those were....
I say do what works for YOUR family and ignore the naysayers...Hoping you make this trip and it is MAGICAL!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Is your husband going to take 30 days of leave?? If he is than I would go for it but I would take the time to also sight see along the way. I made the drive from Washington State to Michigan to Louisiana and back with a 6 month old and my husband at the time for leave one time. I also drove from Washington State to Michigan to Kentucky alone with an almost 2 year old when I PCS'd from Fort Lewis to Fort Knox.

At 9 and 13 the kids could learn a lot about this country through a road trip like that. Also, have you been to Disneyland?? It may be worth a visit just to get a Disney Fix.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
lttlmc3
You can ship it. I'll still eat it
If I were a ghost, I would def. stay at WDW!

I don't think you're nuts. I just know I wouldn't do it. I'm afraid to fly too, but I go to the Doc and go the Xanax route as well. In fact, that's what I'll be doing for our Disney trip next month (I guess I'd better make that appointment soon!). HOWEVER...I would talk to your husband about it as well. He may love the idea of the car trip. It's kind of an individual thing. Some people just can't fly. There is nothing wrong with that. So, no, you are not nuts.
Have you looked into free online fear of flying courses? I've used www.fearofflyinghelp.com and it really helps me. I redo it before everytime I have to fly. I've learned more of what to expect and what is normal of flights. Like, if I see a lot of clouds, I know that the ride will get a little bumpy because that's normal. The class helps with that and even uses videos with sights and sounds of flights to get used to it. Just a suggestion.
lttlmc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Two days? I think you're seriously underestimating. We take 2 days to drive the 1200ish miles from Michigan... Unless you're hard core about driving straight through, sleeping in shifts, and expecting the kids to put up with a LOT of car time, you're going to need longer than that.

I think the trip would be great if you looked at the drive as part of the adventure and stopped to sight-see along the way, though that would mean less time for WDW. But if the getting there is just getting there, that is a very long and likely stressful trip.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
eduk8r26
DIS Veteran

I drove from California to South Carolina with just an 11-year-old. It took 4 days, but we took our time. Then we drove to WDW for a week and back home. If you have someone to switch off driving you could probably do it in 3 days but that might be pushing it. I don't fly, either, never have and hopefully never will!! But I enjoy driving.
eduk8r26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: