Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #16
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea464 View Post

The letter might have gone overboard....
You think?

The principal probably is allowing this as an excused absence just because he was impressed by your audacity! (This is not a criticism).
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #17
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSANDRA View Post
While I think her letter was fine for an younger elementary school child, don't think that would fly for a high school teen. Good luck, we found it impossible to take DS out once we hit high school.
Lol, I was thinking the same thing! Please excuse Sally from her AP Physics lab, World History exam, and Statistics quiz, but she will present her vacation photos instead.

Dd16 would never miss 3 days of HS! Even with excused absences (illness), the students are usually responsible for getting the missed material (through another classmate). Nevermind the instruction missed.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #18
Ccann
Mouseketeer

HS students about to graduated; They can take a few days out of school to visit a college. Maybe rent a car for a day and visit a couple of local colleges near Orlando. At that point they are excused absents.

I wanted to go to school in Colorado, we visited 2 schools one day and 2 the next. Then went to Estes Park the next 2! Just a thought if you wanted to get creative.
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #19
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

I have a friend who requests "educational leave" for her two when they cruise in December. They bring back a photo book with notes. Not sure how it works considering they always go to the same place every time (Nassau).

I can't take my dd out as she's Dyslexic and I wouldn't be up for the make up work. Doing her regular homework takes long enough. I did consider adding a day to fall break for a YES class I thought she'd like, but she wasn't interested in going without me. And since ds is still so young, we're doing something else that weekend closer to home.

Question: You've put so much detail in the letter regarding what your daughter will see and do. Is the principal going to hold you to seeing evidence of all that? What if your plans change?

For example, your World Showcase plans. Despite plans to see the entire thing and do the same as you documented in World Showcase plus Pick a Pearl (had the Cinderella cage necklaces, a passport, a little journal and everything) we ended up not touring WS at all. We also missed Asia in AK.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #20
mjantz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hj0519 View Post
Agreed...that letter works for a kid in elementary school, but not for a high schooler. A week in Disney World is not the equivalent of a week's worth of high school classes, even if they are "learning about other cultures" in Epcot.
My thoughts exactly. We found that even missing 2-3 days in Junior High was rough given that our son was in Pre-AP classes. I can't imagine taking him out for a week in HS. He would never recover & honestly, I don't want his classes to be so easy that a week missed is no problem. I want him to be challenged.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #21
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

In some states, excused or unexcused won't matter.

Districts are legally bound by state law to deny credit for courses after 9 days of absences in a semester.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR

Last edited by FlightlessDuck; 09-24-2012 at 07:02 AM.
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #22
DisneyCrazyMomma
DIS Veteran

When I asked my son's school, the principal was a first year principal, and he asked me what I wanted. Okay... well I'd like excused days for vacation please and permission for his teacher to allow him to make up the work he misses (when we get back of course, wouldn't expect her to have it ready ahead of time). He said "Okay, fair enough." Really!?

lots of miles each way to the mouse!

2009 room at CBR, 2010 room at CBR, 2011 Wilderness Lodge and three trips as a kid all offsite.
DisneyCrazyMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #23
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

So glad I don't have to do this. In my DD's school, school vacations during school time are "strongly discouraged" as there are 185 other days of the year to take a vacation where it doesn't conflict. WDW is just as educational those other 185 days.

As long as the student keeps up the grades and does not disrupt the class upon their return all is well. The only time I have to provide a note is if my DD is out sick 3 days in a row, she must get a note from an MD for her return.

Having said all of that, I have pulled her for a week for WDW from K - 3. She is in Grade 4 now and I just can't pull her. They are not given work ahead of time, they have to make it up upon her return on top of the current work and have to stay after school to make up any tests. Since her homework is 1 1/2 hours a night now; I can't imagine 3 hours a night on top of competitve swim.

Have a great vacation.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

Quote:
It'd count as an unexcused absence. Looking at our handbook out now, it states (for my state): "It is illegal for a child to fail to be in school for any reason other than those set forth by the State Board of Education..."
3 unlawful absences: notification
6 unlawful: notification via nastygram that you might be in violation of law
10 unlawful: school can notify DA and file a complaint.

Without the prior approval my daughter would get 6 unlawful absences from this one trip. The letter might have gone overboard, but I wanted it clear that there was plenty of stuff to do that was educational.
That's interesting to know. We are in the same state (NC). I'm taking my kindergartener out for four days in Oct (we'll overlap ). I haven't thought about excuses or getting a visit from the truancy officer. Assuming that it's not as big of a deal for such a young kid. I'll let you know if I get thrown in jail for it.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #25
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here is my letter that I wrote!
Wow. That letter is quite creative! I don't quite agree with trying to get a vacation excused is this way, but it is very interesting. We got pretty lucky. When I informed the principal at my sons school that he would be missing a week in April for vacation, he told me that if he keeps a journal about all the things he's learned, they can excuse 3 days. I think it's a common practice at our school. It surprised me, because we had an issue last year about him missing too many days because of a bad illness and a death out of state.

OT- LOVE your daughters name by the way.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #26
revmommy
Earning My Ears

Because I have family in NC, I am aware that public school law/policy in NC allows excused absences for "educational travel". The law does not provide specifics as to what makes the travel educational, but it does require advanced approval by the school principal.

Every child is different and every family situation is different, therefore each family needs to make its own decisions as to whether or not their child should miss school. But, when the state law/policy allows excused absences for travel, no one should judge a parent for requesting approval for an excused absence.
revmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #27
jimandami
DIS Veteran

We are going next week, and our school district has an educational enrichment opportunity form to fill out and my DS8 has all 5 days excused. For those of you that thought the letter was overboard, you should have seen the report we had to submit to get approved! It ended up being 3 pages and we had to use the 3rd grade curriculum standards and state how we would meet them on our trip!
jimandami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #28
Andrea464
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy2babies View Post
Question: You've put so much detail in the letter regarding what your daughter will see and do. Is the principal going to hold you to seeing evidence of all that? What if your plans change?

For example, your World Showcase plans. Despite plans to see the entire thing and do the same as you documented in World Showcase plus Pick a Pearl (had the Cinderella cage necklaces, a passport, a little journal and everything) we ended up not touring WS at all. We also missed Asia in AK.
Not that I know of. However, we'll be there during F&W so we're for sure going! Plus we have food reservations there at least two days!
June 2013: DisneyLand with my family & sister's family!
December 2014: 1st Cruise (Dream) with WDW stay at AKL
Andrea464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
princessmomma92
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmommy
Because I have family in NC, I am aware that public school law/policy in NC allows excused absences for "educational travel". The law does not provide specifics as to what makes the travel educational, but it does require advanced approval by the school principal.

Every child is different and every family situation is different, therefore each family needs to make its own decisions as to whether or not their child should miss school. But, when the state law/policy allows excused absences for travel, no one should judge a parent for requesting approval for an excused absence.
I agree. No one should judge a parent for decisions to be made concerning their own child. It's not like she's asking each of you to do the same thing. I think the letter is awesome and very creative. What a caring mom to want to make sure that her daughter's education is still taken care of while she is on vacation!!!! And there is MUCH to be learned at WDW for all ages.

I applaud you for reaching out to your child's school to help her have excused absences and homework to keep up with her schoolwork while on vacation. I probably wouldn't have thought of it and think you're a fantastic mom for covering all bases.
princessmomma92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #30
Nomad70
Mouseketeer

Hm, I am taking my high school student out for the last three days before winter break and her school has no problem with it. In fact none of the dozen schools my kids have gone to (military family) have ever had a problem with us taking them out during school. As long as they make up the work. I suppose it maybe because as a military family summer is typically training time for mom's or dad's who are active duty and getting time off can be a struggle for many. So, the schools that service military communities are a bit more lenient. As for the OP, I find it rather interesting what she did. lol Don't know that I would put that much effort into making sure my kid had an excused absence, but interesting.

New DVC Members as of September 2012!!! WOOHOO!
Nomad70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: