Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
stormer
DIS Veteran

Off property differences?

We do not have any points left and are thinking about staying off site for the first time. We are thinking of trying Bonnet Creek or Caribe Royale. I am trying to think of what the major differences I should know about are if we stay at one of these instead of staying at a moderate. I know we will have a lot more room at the other places, but what will we miss out on?
No dining plan
No extra magic hours
We have APs so we wouldn't have to pay to park
Anything else?
October 1994 Port Orleans / Oct. 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / Oct. 1999 Off site / Oct. 2004 Contemporary Resort / Oct. 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / Aug.2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ Oct. 2008 Old Key West / Feb. 2009 Polynesian Resort / Aug. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / Aug. 2010 Bay Lake Tower / Feb. 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / Aug. 2011 Boardwalk Villas / Aug. 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2013 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2013 Boardwalk Villas / Feb. 2014 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2014 Old Key West
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

I think those are the biggies for most people. If none of that bothers you, go for it! You'll definitely find more room for less of the cost.
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Magical express?
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
ready2vacation
Mouseketeer

I agree - those are the biggies. We stayed at Windsor Hills in September and even though we really liked it and had a great stay, we missed being on property where we could just "be" there without having to drive. But, for the right price, we'd probably consider staying offsite again.
ready2vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
stormer
DIS Veteran

Thanks. We are still thinking about what to do, but I wanted to make sure I was overlooking anything that would help us decide.
October 1994 Port Orleans / Oct. 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / Oct. 1999 Off site / Oct. 2004 Contemporary Resort / Oct. 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / Aug.2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ Oct. 2008 Old Key West / Feb. 2009 Polynesian Resort / Aug. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / Aug. 2010 Bay Lake Tower / Feb. 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / Aug. 2011 Boardwalk Villas / Aug. 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2013 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2013 Boardwalk Villas / Feb. 2014 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2014 Old Key West
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #6
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer View Post
We do not have any points left and are thinking about staying off site for the first time. We are thinking of trying Bonnet Creek or Caribe Royale. I am trying to think of what the major differences I should know about are if we stay at one of these instead of staying at a moderate. I know we will have a lot more room at the other places, but what will we miss out on?
No dining plan
No extra magic hours
Anything else?
There are several posters in the "we looooove bonnet creek" thread who are also DVC owners and have said the enjoy staying at Bonnet Creek.

I would say from my own experience (We drive, don't care about dining plan and avoid magic hours parks) that staying at Bonnet Creek wasn't that much different that staying at Old Key West or Saratoga Springs, but not quite the same as staying at the Beach Club.

The fact you can rent Bonnet Creek for $700 a week, and can afford to stay longer and go more often, is a big factor in our decision making.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Package delivery to your resort, if you use it, would be another missed perk.

The ability to charge items back to your room, if you use it, would be another.

I'm not really in a position to compare, because if I stay off property, I stay home and do a day trip to the parks, so for me a WDW vacation definitely means staying on property. I like having the option of NOT driving back and forth to the parks, especially at the end of the day when it seems like everyone is trying to leave the parking lot at the same time. Pretty much the only place I drive to is DTD, because it takes FOREVER to get a DTD bus. I like being able to charge items to the room so I minimize the number of people handling my credit card (in fact, I do online check in for this reason as well) and I like being able to send large or fragile purchases back to the resort instead of trying to juggle them on rides or transportation (even if you drive, you have to be able to handle them on the parking lot trams). So my answer would be that I would stay in a moderate before I would stay in an off property resort - but each family has to make that decision on their own.

You can have a great trip staying off property. You just need to decide which amenities are worth giving up for the price, and what amenities (such as space) you might gain.
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
married2mm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No dining plan
No extra magic hours
Anything else?
i would agree with you and pp's- me, package deliveries,the whole 'disney bubble'.
the advantages of offsite to me are-
personal space,beds,tvs,kitchen,laundry,bathrooms,parking outside accommodation.
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Lumiere Lover
You can sleep after we leave WDW..

I'm a big souvenir person, so package delivery is huge for us. I would never want to do without that. Also, having to leave the magic would affect me. Staying at a WDW resort keeps the magic going 24/7.

June 2014-1st Disneyland trip, December 2012 POFQ-Excited we were there 12-12-12! September 2010 POFQ, Dec 2008 PC, Wonder, CBR, Aug 2008 Swan, Dec 2006 POR, Aug 2005 Gaylord Palms, Feb 2005 CBR, FEB 2002 AS Movies, Apr 1989 Offsite, Apr 1976 Offsite
Lumiere Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No dining plan
No extra magic hours
Anything else?
Yes,
No DDP
No EMH
No DME
No package delivery, charging to room or wdw transportation.

I prefer not to drive, and have the added expense of a car rental, so to me DME and wdw transportation are huge factors

I also love the theming of the WDW resorts, being transported to a different time and place.

However if I had to choose between those 2, I'd pick Bonnet Creek. Even though its not a wdw resort, it is on Disney Property, and does get good reviews. I think it's near CBR? While on the Disney busses I have noticed the Bonnet Creek sign.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: