Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
CLKnCA
Earning My Ears

Food & Wine or Christmas?

This is my first post on the boards. I have been reading for a while, and am excited to post for the first time!

I am in a situation where I have a couple days of extra vacation to burn before the end of the year, and no set plans to use it. I am pretty sure that I want to head down to WDW, and it will be a solo trip.

Here's my dilemma - should I go for a long weekend during F&W, or do I wait until Christmas time and go for a long weekend at the beginning of December to see the decorations and expreience the resort at that time of year?

I've been to F&W several times, and absolutely LOVE it. While the crowds can be annoying, I am actually one of those strange people that finds a crowded day to be more vibrant, lively, and fun.

While I really, really like F&W, I have never been to WDW during Christmas. The closest I've been to that is during a F&W trip where the end of my visit coincides with different resorts putting up their trees and the parks are starting to transform into their holiday best. The one issue with Christmas is that I will be back at WDW for Marathon weekend starting on Jan 10. I've never visited at this time, so I don't know if the Christmas decorations will still be up.

Help me out here. When would you go?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
DisneyDanielle85
Mouseketeer

I haven't been to WDW at Christmas, but I have been to F&WF and It was an amazing time. It was entertaining to try to get a stamp at every world and it was wonderful to try foods i'd never dream of trying otherwise.

That being said it has always been my dream to go at Christmas. I've heard such good things about it so if you had the time maybe since you've been to F&W before go down after the X-mas decorations are set up to experience that.

~Danielle~
~A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes~ ~Princess Belle!~ "I only hope we don't forget one thing- It was all started by a mouse" - Walt Disney
DisneyDanielle85 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
JSJR514
Mouseketeer

Hey,

I have been to Disney at Christmas, but at the F&W F. Christmas is wonderful. It is so beautiful. The lights, parades, smells and best of all the decorations. I think on the best time on our Christmas trip was just visiting some of the different hotels and seeing all of those X-mas trees. WOW !!!!

We are going in Nov. for the F&W. Just hubbie and I no kids. Very excited.
Have fun making your decision. Enjoy whatever you decide to do.

JSJR514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
MissMet
DVC Member, former NY Mets Season Tkt Holder & Blogging Addict

Tough decision as those are my two favorite times to go!

Why not do both?

They start putting up the Christmas decorations in late Oct at some parks/resorts & on Nov 3 at MK when the halloween decor comes down. The first Christmas party at MK is Nov 9 so you know at the least MK will be fully decorated (minus the tree on Main St due to parade taping early Dec) for Christmas by the 9th & F&WF goes until Nov 12 this year.

If you want the FULL Christmas experience (Candlelight Processional/Osborn lights, etc), though you'd have to go later.

MissMet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
huskies90
DIS Veteran

If you time it right, you can do F&W and experience the holiday decorations. F&W ends Nov 12 and the holiday stuff starts a few days before: Mickeys Xmas party and the Osbourne lights both start 11/9 so there is definitely an overlap. I have been down there at that exact time the last two years in a row.

I am kinda in the same boat with a few vac days to kill and may do another quick adult trip (the kids love it when I leave them home ) before my AP expires.
Dec 1977 Offsite - Jan 1990 Offsite - Jan 1991 Offsite - Nov 2004 All Star Movies- Nov 2005 Port Orleans Riverside - Dec 2005 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House - Aug 2007 Coronado Springs/Royal Pacific - June 2008 Yacht Club - Feb 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter - Nov 2009 Disneyland Hotel - Aug 2010 Beach Club/Hard Rock Hotel - Nov 2010 Swan - Dec 2010 All Star Music - Dec 2010 Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village - March 2011 Saratoga Springs - Aug 2011 All Star Sports - Aug 2011 Boardwalk Villas - Nov 2011 Saratoga Springs - Jan 2012 Bay Lake Tower - July 2012 Grand Californian - Aug 2012 Beach Club Villas - Nov 2012 Old Key West - Aug 2013 Old Key West - Sept 2013 Contemporary - March 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo House - July 2014 Boardwalk Villas - July 2014 Bay Lake Tower
huskies90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Tink2Day
Mouseketeer

Our trip (business for one, fun for me) happened to coincide with the F&W and we were able to also do the MVMCP and see the Osborne Lights. All the parks were decorated and the MK had it's decorations (minus the tree) and we saw the Christmas parade, Christmas shows and fireworks during the party.
We saw a couple of concerts at the F&W as well. It was not crowded.
It was great!
Tink2Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
Manga
Mouseketeer

If you can go around 11/9 (at the the end of F&W and beginning of Christmas decorations), that will be the best case scenario.

If not, then my vote will be Christmas. I've been to both events couple of times, and I feel both are great experiences, so if you've been to F&W before you should definitely try Christmas this time. The decorations and atmosphere are just incredible.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
ladyelenawf
Never too old to be treated like a Princess!!

If you've never done Christmas, I recommend it. Also, if you choose December then you can aim for the opening of Fantasyland on the 6th!! I couldn't choose, so I'm going to do MNSSHP AND MVMCP. I've done Christmas before, but I wanted to be there for the Fantasyland opening. Either way, I really hope that you have a great time & come back & tell us what you chose!

LLT2 24OCT-09NOV WL & sharing WDW w/ fiancé 08-14 DEC 2014 SS
Crazy Christmas Tour 02-08Dec 2012 POR Princess Room!!, Ladies & Liquor Tour: 23Sep-06Oct 2012 AKL,
Dec 2010 Off Site, Feb 2006 AKL, May 1999 FW-C
ladyelenawf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
bellaally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKnCA
This is my first post on the boards. I have been reading for a while, and am excited to post for the first time!

I am in a situation where I have a couple days of extra vacation to burn before the end of the year, and no set plans to use it. I am pretty sure that I want to head down to WDW, and it will be a solo trip.

Here's my dilemma - should I go for a long weekend during F&W, or do I wait until Christmas time and go for a long weekend at the beginning of December to see the decorations and expreience the resort at that time of year?

I've been to F&W several times, and absolutely LOVE it. While the crowds can be annoying, I am actually one of those strange people that finds a crowded day to be more vibrant, lively, and fun.

While I really, really like F&W, I have never been to WDW during Christmas. The closest I've been to that is during a F&W trip where the end of my visit coincides with different resorts putting up their trees and the parks are starting to transform into their holiday best. The one issue with Christmas is that I will be back at WDW for Marathon weekend starting on Jan 10. I've never visited at this time, so I don't know if the Christmas decorations will still be up.

If they is a sway there are a lot of dvc member right now trying to sell there points before the year end, now I was offer a four nights in a preferred studio for 324. There is only availability now as most if not all December is sold out. P.s I am going Christmastime everyone should experience it once right.

bellaally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Leota
DIS Veteran

While F&W is our absolute very favorite time of the year to go, every WDW fan should see it during Christmas at least once. It really is amazing. You won't get the full on affect going at the tail of F&W or hoping for any remainders for marathon weekend......
*~* Offsite 1973 ~ Fort Wilderness Cabins 1993,1995,1998 ~Disneyland, Offsite, 1997,1998 ~ All-Star Sports 1999 ~ Beach Club 2000 ~ Wilderness Lodge 2001 ~ Polynesian/Coronado Springs 2001 ~ Dolphin 2001 ~ Swan 2004 ~ Grand Floridian, Happy Haunts 2004 ~ Dolphin/Animal Kingdom Lodge 2005 ~ PO French Quarter 2005 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge / Swan 2005 ~ Swan 2006 ~ Swan 2006 ~ Dolphin 2007 ~Dolphin 2007 ~ Dolphin 2008 ~ Dolphin 2009 ~ Dolphin 2009 ~ Dolphin 2010 ~ Wyndham Lake Buena Vista 2011 ~ Windsor Hills 2011~ Swan 2012 ~ Bonnet Creek 2013 ~ Home from now on! *~*

Making our Florida Dreams Come True
Move In Day: June 10th, 2013.... Finally!!!

Leota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
Redbudlover
DIS Veteran

Christmas without doubt - having done both many times I would very much recommend Christmas and although yu could combine the two I would say go after Fantasyland opens. going at that time of year is mystical. The crowds are very low, the temps are low and so you can begin to get into the Christmas spirit. Yes there are the parades, the special menus, the special party and fireworks and decorations. But all of that doesn't quite catch for me the special essence of being there at Christmas. I love it. I will be there in 3 weeks but will also be there in December!
Redbudlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
Bethannk511
Mouseketeer

I went in 2010 on a solo trip that started Veterans weekend (last weekend of F&W and also hit up Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party!! Best of both worlds!! Osborne lights are also up by then too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKnCA View Post

Old 09-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #13
CLKnCA
Earning My Ears

Decision Made - What Next?

Thanks for all the input! I wrestled with this a bit, and ultimately had to make a decision. I literally just finished booking my trip for Dec 6-11, staying at CSR. Christmas time won out this year, and I am so excited to go and soak it all in!

Now, tell me, what is your not-to-be-missed Christmas experience there? I am starting to find myself planning lots of exploration; I can already tell this isn't a trip focused on attractions. While they will obviously play a part, I am more looking forward to checking out the different resorts and to wandering around the parks. I think I am going to go to MVMCP, too, so that I can get the full experience. I will also try to get in to see Candlelight at Epcot. I've seen it several times at Disneyland and absolutely love the spectacle of it.

What else should be on my not-to-be-missed list for Christmas? Doesn't matter how "small" the experience is...I love all the details. When you think of Christmas at WDW, what is the first thing that comes to mind?
Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Definitely Christmas. I love all of the decorations at the parks and resorts. So much to do. I think I am one of the only ones on the DISboards who doesn't really care for the F&WF...actually, I prefer the Flower and Garden Festival over Food and Wine!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIPS: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!! April '15-VWL!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
Leota
DIS Veteran

The first thing that comes to mind is doing the World Showcase loop to catch the Holiday Storytellers/Santas in each pavillion.

I also like to check out the resorts - don't miss stops IMHO are the GF & WL, although all of them are great. GF has the Giant GingerBread house.

AK has the Jingle Jungle Parade & Studios has the Osbourne lights.

Since you are already doing Mickey's Very Merry, you'll get the Parade & Snow on Main St.

Enjoy your trip! You are right, this is the perfect trip to slow down & soak in the atmosphere. The attractions will always be there (not that you won't be doing some of those too!) but the Christmas stuff only comes once a year.....
*~* Offsite 1973 ~ Fort Wilderness Cabins 1993,1995,1998 ~Disneyland, Offsite, 1997,1998 ~ All-Star Sports 1999 ~ Beach Club 2000 ~ Wilderness Lodge 2001 ~ Polynesian/Coronado Springs 2001 ~ Dolphin 2001 ~ Swan 2004 ~ Grand Floridian, Happy Haunts 2004 ~ Dolphin/Animal Kingdom Lodge 2005 ~ PO French Quarter 2005 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge / Swan 2005 ~ Swan 2006 ~ Swan 2006 ~ Dolphin 2007 ~Dolphin 2007 ~ Dolphin 2008 ~ Dolphin 2009 ~ Dolphin 2009 ~ Dolphin 2010 ~ Wyndham Lake Buena Vista 2011 ~ Windsor Hills 2011~ Swan 2012 ~ Bonnet Creek 2013 ~ Home from now on! *~*

Making our Florida Dreams Come True
Move In Day: June 10th, 2013.... Finally!!!

Leota is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: