Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
connchurch
Earning My Ears

SWA boarding question

We have not purchased EBCI but have group of 13, 8 being children. Does anyone know, if they automatically allow families with children to board after the A passengers. This is what happened 2 years ago when we flew, but they did not have EBCI at that time.
connchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
helenk
BL II - Purple Team>
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
Loves Monk, and Peeps,

This is from the SW website
Quote:
An adult traveling with a child four years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the "A" group has boarded and before the "B" group begins boarding. However, those Customers holding an "A" boarding pass should still board with the "A" boarding group
That said there have been times when if there are alot of families with small children, which can occur going to Florida, they will not do the family boarding process.
Be aware they may not allow your entire group board, for example, if there are grandparents going they would have to board with their boarding pass group, either A, B or C

Offsite 6/83,5/87
ASSP 7/95 & 11/08, GF 9/99, YC 11/01, WL 12/02 & 9/09 POR 9/03, POFQ 6/04, 12/04, & 5/06 POLY 6/04 & 12/05, POP 12/04, ASMU 7/05,10/07 & 12/07, AKL 12/06, CBR 5/07, CSR 5/08, SSR 11/08, CR 1/09, DLH 5/09, AKV 6/09, ASSP 10/09, ASSP&AKV 12/09, BCV 9/10, VWL 12/10, AKV 1/11 AKV/DCL 5/11 VWL&AKV 12/11, AKV 5/12,SSR 10/12, OKW 12/12, AKV 5/13, HHI 6/13,VWL 12/13, VCG 5/14, Hollywood Hotel, Hong Kong 5/14, AKV 8/14
helenk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

If they have family boarding and sometimes they don't it is 1 adult per child under 4. Everyone can't board with 1 child. How many kids are under 4?
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
AveryandLilysmom
Tigger and Pooh Fan

We have a five year old and three year old and we never buy EBCI and we always board between the A and B groups unless we are either at the end of the A or beginning of the B group. None of the flights we have been on did SW not offer boarding for families between those two groups. But, I have seen them not allow children obviously too old for family boarding or adults in larger groups trying to board as part of the family. It is really intended for families boarding infants and toddlers, not for families in general.
Aug 2008 Pop, Sep 2009 Poly, May 2010 WL, October 2010 MGV, WWOHP trip, February 2011 CR, October 2011 Dolphin/Sheraton Vistana, October 2012 AoA/OKW, June 2013 CBR, October 2013 AKV, Kidani, January 2014 Disneyland Resort, April 2014 HIVC Orange Lake, October 2014 DCL Disney Wonder, March 2015 HIVC Orange Lake, Universal/WWOHP

Ever think you are there so often you should just move in?

AveryandLilysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Nennie
Insert funny comment here!

For large groups, EBCI is the way to go if you want to make sure you are sitting together. If you don't mind splitting up a little (say 2 here, 3 there, etc) then you can probably get away with checking in at the 24 hour mark.

I'm flying PHL to MCO tomorrow, checked in at T24, and got B49. Not a big deal for us as we only need 1 row of 3, but if I was flying with a huge group it might be tough to get everyone together.

Trips since we joined DVC (and upcoming trips too!)
10/05 - Beach Club Villas;1/06 - Beach Club Villas; 9/06 - Beach Club Villas
1/07 - Beach Club Villas; 5/07 - Beach Club Villas;9/07 - Beach Club Villas
5/08 - Boardwalk Villas; 5/09 - Boardwalk Villas (Baby's first trip!);5/09 - Boardwalk Villas (Baby's second trip! LOL!)
9/09 - Bay Lake Tower;9/10 - POP (3 nights FD) followed by Beach Club Villas
1/11 - Beach Club Villas; 5/11 Boardwalk; 9/11 - Beach Club Villas; 9/12 Bay Lake Tower
12/12 Saratoga; 1/13 Beach Club; 7/13 Offsite; 9/13 Beach Club
Nennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by connchurch View Post
We have not purchased EBCI but have group of 13, 8 being children. Does anyone know, if they automatically allow families with children to board after the A passengers. This is what happened 2 years ago when we flew, but they did not have EBCI at that time.
In my experience they limit family boarding to one adult with each child 4 and under, sometimes the other parent and siblings can family board as well but never extended family or friends.

From SWA:
An adult traveling with a child four years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the "A" group has boarded and before the "B" group begins boarding. However, those Customers holding an "A" boarding pass should still board with the "A" boarding group.

Personally in that situation - I would at least get EBCI for the children who are over 4 but not old enough to sit alone and a parent/guardian to accompany them.

TJ
tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
In my experience they limit family boarding to one adult with each child 4 and under, sometimes the other parent and siblings can family board as well but never extended family or friends.

From SWA:
An adult traveling with a child four years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the "A" group has boarded and before the "B" group begins boarding. However, those Customers holding an "A" boarding pass should still board with the "A" boarding group.

Personally in that situation - I would at least get EBCI for the children who are over 4 but not old enough to sit alone and a parent/guardian to accompany them.
It's all or nothing -- If the family booked their flight under the same reservation #, everyone on that reservation would have to book EBCI, or none of them. Also, if you want to book EBCI for the return flight and your reservation # is round trip, you'd have to book EBCI for both directions -- they get you coming and going. Unless you book the flights one-way and family members separately.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Moparlar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
It's all or nothing -- If the family booked their flight under the same reservation #, everyone on that reservation would have to book EBCI, or none of them. Also, if you want to book EBCI for the return flight and your reservation # is round trip, you'd have to book EBCI for both directions -- they get you coming and going. Unless you book the flights one-way and family members separately.
When My sons went to vegas in July they were on 1 reservation and I only paid for EB for 1 of them and he saved the seats for the other 2. So everyone does not have to pay EB seating.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
tjmw2727
Enjoys "mom and me" trips
May just have to dance!

Unless this is something new within the past week this is not correct. I have done it numerous times inlcuding last Wednesday booking EBCI for 2 of 4 passengers.

I can't tell you how many times I have booked EBCI for only the return leg of a round trip flight!

Quote:

TJ
tjmw2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
Moparlar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmw2727 View Post
Unless this is something new within the past week this is not correct. I have done it numerous times inlcuding last Wednesday booking EBCI for 2 of 4 passengers.

I can't tell you how many times I have booked EBCI for only the return leg of a round trip flight!
I usually only do the return flight also since I never know where in Disney I will be
Old 09-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparlar View Post
When My sons went to vegas in July they were on 1 reservation and I only paid for EB for 1 of them and he saved the seats for the other 2. So everyone does not have to pay EB seating.
Saving seats really isn't allowed though.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Nope.....we routinely book both ways, on the same reservation number...and only pay for EBCI for our return flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
Yes, you can save seats. But, I wouldn't try saving more than two seats...both in the same row you're seated in. SW isn't going to mind. BUT....don't try putting jackets or such on more than two seats...that will, rightfully so, cause a stir.

For those boarding with kids 4 and under....if the family is smallish, they will probably allow you all to board together. BUT...keep in mind that one of the big reasons that SW moved family boarding to between the A and B groups was because families were trying to all board together...mom, dad, the baby, 3 other kids (all over 4), grammie, grandpa, uncle joe and aunt susie, and the 3 cousins!!! Technically, if there is a child, 4 and under, one parent is allowed to go with that child between A and B groups. But, as I said, SW can be lenient, and they will allow the whole family (immediate) to board together. In order for all 13 of you to board together, the kids would pretty much have there would have to be more than one or two kids that are 4 or under...maybe 3, depends on the family makeup.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleVW View Post
I agree that you can save seats on WN. They have no policy prohibiting this. In fact, I have seen gate agents on the show On the Fly tell PAX to save seats.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

As you an tell, people have different experiences.

I have been on flights where myself, DH, and DD all were able to board with my DS who was under 2.

I have been on flights where they decreased the age to 2 for family boarding.

I have been on flights where they eliminated family boarding all together.

I have been on flights where the flight attendants announced they had an open seating policy and any seat that did not have a person in it was an open seat. They asked people to remove coats and bags from the seats as it delayed the boarding process.

Bottom line, if it is important that you all sit together, buy the EBCI.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #15
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
As you an tell, people have different experiences.

I have been on flights where myself, DH, and DD all were able to board with my DS who was under 2.

I have been on flights where they decreased the age to 2 for family boarding.

I have been on flights where they eliminated family boarding all together.

I have been on flights where the flight attendants announced they had an open seating policy and any seat that did not have a person in it was an open seat. They asked people to remove coats and bags from the seats as it delayed the boarding process.

Bottom line, if it is important that you all sit together, buy the EBCI.
Yep, I think saving seat is a little rude and kind of like stealing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: