Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #91
lovemymac
Earning My Ears

Btw I don't mean to come across as arguing. I just want to give the idea of the xbmc. I wish I had known about it before we signed a year agreement with DTV. It has been so cool watching all this stuff free and dropping netflix and Hulu plus on my tv.

I still have amazon prime because I use it for other things. Anyway thanks for listening.
lovemymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #92
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki02 View Post
What about another option LIKE tivo, no monthly fees?

Are there other units you can buy that 's a dvr but w no monthly fee?
To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing in the commerical marketplace that offers a "free" DVR.

That said, the user has 2 options:
  • Buy a TiVO with lifetime service built-in -- no more fees -- ever...
  • Hire someone with computer knowledge to build you a DVR from an old laptop (Warning: it won't be user-friendly, unless you really happen to like playing with electronics).
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #93
DVC Daisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
see....some of you are getting so technical,and let's face it,expensive that it is the complete opposite of OP's original thread..... jailbreaking,tech specs,memberships here and there,and you might as well just keep the cable!
Here's the little I know for us non techie,non mac (read:expensive stuff) people.... OTA using an antenna is free,and easy. takes 5 minutes to set up.
A roku box hooked up is cheap (less than 50 straight up) and EASY. streams a number of EASILY watched things like netflix and hulu.
A Tivo is easy to hook up,once you pay a high initial cost (used,ebay,lifetime membership)
A dvd recorder is easy to use also,once you pay initial cost.
All these other things seem to require extra time,money,and tech savvy that don't = EASY.
Again, if that's what people want to do,that's fine. I myself am keeping the sat. box for a while,then likely just using an antenna for what I can't stream on a simple roku or whatever.
That was me that ran the thread off of the rails I have no intention of getting rid of my cable or TiVo, I just thought I could lower my expenses (purchasing/renting DVDs) by figuring out how to watch Amazon Prime stuff I am getting for free anyway on my TV.

Still have not figured it out.

But sorry if this ran the thread off topic
Old 09-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #94
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Daisy View Post
That was me that ran the thread off of the rails I have no intention of getting rid of my cable or TiVo, I just thought I could lower my expenses (purchasing/renting DVDs) by figuring out how to watch Amazon Prime stuff I am getting for free anyway on my TV.

Still have not figured it out.

But sorry if this ran the thread off topic
You can use the airplay mirroring function on most mid-2011 or earlier Macs to watch Amazon prime on your TV using an Apple TV. I haven't yet tried Amazon Prime Instant Vdeo specifically, but I was able to watch an episode of Glee showing on Fox.com that way. Obviously, if you don't already have a compatible Mac, this is not a cheap solution! -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #95
lovemymac
Earning My Ears

We have directv till our contract is up and we pay $5 for DVr service. But it goes back to if you just want to cut some costs or want to cut cable.
I have always found cable more expensive then satellite.
lovemymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #96
muffyn
"hmmm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by semo233 View Post
That might depend upon what cable service provider you have. I recently got rid of a lot of channels and our dvr. Can you believe the DVR box cost $25 per month and the box without the dvr cost $5 with Charter?

we are running 6 dvr boxes, they are $15 each. & we have a LOT of channels, yup our cable bill is a gazillion $$, but, we don't have one of those expensive phone bills so I think its worth it.
(hubby has a work phone, & we have vonage)

IF its only ONE cable DVR box, I just can't see any savings getting netflix or hulu etc ,VS convenience// you still have to pay a subscription, and unless you have a tv that will play these programs, watching them on your computer , just is NOT worth getting rid of the dvr box.
you have to weigh whats important to you , i guess./
muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #97
muffyn
"hmmm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
well, a DVD recorder with hard drive works like a DVR. you record the show(s) onto the hard drive, and you can play them back later. it will also allow you to burn the show to a DVD, if you'd like to keep it. pretty simple, and all you have to pay for is the unit itself. no subscriptions or fees.

I haven't read all the replies on here, but did anyone mention that these units are a rare commodity? (almost extinct like the dodo bird)
for MONTHS people have been trying to find these 'animals'
(read some of the threads on the AV forums)
panasonic made great ones, but you can only find them rebuilt, if you are lucky for over $400. & the ones you CAN find do NOT have a tv tuner, so you can only record from a cable box, on whatever the channel you have set..
I LOVE mine dearly & have been worried what.when mine dies what would I do!!!
LUCKILY, recently, & I do mean recently , walmart has finally got a shipment in on these boxes, though they are magnavox, not as great as panasonic. I just snapped one up for $225, so I have a back up now.
muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:55 AM   #98
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

We had 1 DVR box streaming to 2 tvs with satellite. No movie channels. Our bill for sat service alone was $85 a month. They refused to give us any deals except movie channels free for 3 months. When we lowered our channel package, we lost the hd channels.

Now, with hulu, netflix and tivo : our bill is around $35 a month. Add in another 5-10 a month for new movie rentals and we are still saving money. And, I plan to switch the tivo to a lifetime subscription after the holidays. Then our monthly bill is down to $20-25 a month.

And, with an antenna, that we already had, we get around 15 channels and the hd from the networks and PBS is much clearer since the signals aren't compressed.

Oh, Apple TV will not currently mirror amazon video You need a roku box or a wifi tv for amazon video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffyn View Post
we are running 6 dvr boxes, they are $15 each. & we have a LOT of channels, yup our cable bill is a gazillion $$, but, we don't have one of those expensive phone bills so I think its worth it.
(hubby has a work phone, & we have vonage)

IF its only ONE cable DVR box, I just can't see any savings getting netflix or hulu etc ,VS convenience// you still have to pay a subscription, and unless you have a tv that will play these programs, watching them on your computer , just is NOT worth getting rid of the dvr box.
you have to weigh whats important to you , i guess./
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #99
DVC Daisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3ds
Oh, Apple TV will not currently mirror amazon video You need a roku box or a wifi tv for amazon video.
True! We did get a roku box - cheap one @ Best Buy & it was super duper easy to set up & link my Amazon Prime account. I love it. Not sure if it is worth it unless you have Amazon Prime or Hulu or something anyway, I don't know. But I have Amazon Prime for shipping & now I can watch a ton of stuff included with Prime on my TV. Great picture, no buffering issues, etc. no commercials, decent selection & easy to use. Just what I needed
Old 10-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #100
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Daisy View Post
True! We did get a roku box - cheap one @ Best Buy & it was super duper easy to set up & link my Amazon Prime account. I love it. Not sure if it is worth it unless you have Amazon Prime or Hulu or something anyway, I don't know. But I have Amazon Prime for shipping & now I can watch a ton of stuff included with Prime on my TV. Great picture, no buffering issues, etc. no commercials, decent selection & easy to use. Just what I needed
LOL what is the connection of amazon prime and tv? It's only $79 a year, so that's good but what kind of movies would i get thru it ? and are there any other fees?
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #101
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki02

LOL what is the connection of amazon prime and tv? It's only $79 a year, so that's good but what kind of movies would i get thru it ? and are there any other fees?
They have a similar streaming selection as Netflix. So no new movies generally. Recent TV seasons but not current that I know of.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #102
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki02 View Post
Honestly I would not get Amazon Prime unless you actually buy a lot from them. I got it for free two-day shipping and think of the streaming and free book a month for my Kindle as an added bonus. I wouldn't get it just for the streaming as it's quite disappointing imo.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #103
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3ds View Post

I'm also looking at getting an apple tv box so we can watch videos from the iPad on the tv (food network shows online and other stuff).

You know, there is a connector you can buy to connect your iPad directly to your tv.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #104
sskeen
Earning My Ears

I've had my Panasonic hard drive/DVD recorder for 9 years now. I love it.
When i switched to DirecTV I had to figure out how to hook it up, but it works fine and with the autotune on DirecTV i can record shows on different channels (but not shows at the same time.)
sskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:14 AM   #105
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

I have one but it won't hold the connection for some reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost*in*cyberspace View Post

You know, there is a connector you can buy to connect your iPad directly to your tv.
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: