Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #76
DVC Daisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki02 View Post
ok, i'm narrowing it down to apple tv or amazon . ADVISE if you can. cheaper? non techie here. what is easier? just want movies. doesn't have to be new, just not 1953.
Hope you are not asking me I am more confused than anybody.

LOL at the 1953 or whatever movie comment.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #77
lovemymac
Earning My Ears

Jail broken appletv is best. You can always try a freee 30 day membership to amazon prime see if you like it.

Apple tv once jail broken which is easy to do is well worth it because of the shear number of movies, tv shows and even live tv you can get. If you go that route pm me I have step by step videos on doing the jailbreak, and installing xbmc.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
lovemymac is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 05:46 PM   #78
DVC Daisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemymac View Post
Jail broken appletv is best.
I was checking out the link re:jail breaking Apple TV. It said that with the new ones, you can't do it yet and therefore, the cost to buy an older used one has skyrocket. You can "mirror" your iPad though with the new Apple TV, which makes some stuff more accessible but....

As far as even doing what I want to do, which is watching the Amazon Videos from my iPad on my TV (I have Prime either way, I buy it for other reasons) that it is not compatible with AirPlay!

Grrrrr......

Old 09-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #79
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

I use a Roku for what little I stream and it works great with Amazon Prime. Easy to set-up as well .
Old 09-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #80
lovemymac
Earning My Ears

Roku is ok but very limited in what it can do.
Yea new apple tv 3 can't be jail broken yet. Still working on it. You can install the program on iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, pc, Mac. Then just airvideo from iPad to new apple tv or get cables to hook from iPad into tv.

Old 09-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #81
DVC Daisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yea new apple tv 3 can't be jail broken yet. Still working on it. You can install the program on iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, pc, Mac. Then just airvideo from iPad to new apple tv or get cables to hook from iPad into tv.

Grrrr..... That is exactly the problem, I want wireless - Airplay is perfect! But the reviews for the Amazon app says it does not support Airplay (audio only).

I really need to be a bit more technology advanced. Or maybe just wait until Fall Break & have DS deal with it
Old 09-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #82
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:

sent roku back.

lousy for us, imo. and i still had to sign up for stuff.
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #83
lovemymac
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Daisy

Grrrr..... That is exactly the problem, I want wireless - Airplay is perfect! But the reviews for the Amazon app says it does not support Airplay (audio only).

I really need to be a bit more technology advanced. Or maybe just wait until Fall Break & have DS deal with it
When you jailbreak anything can do AirPlay. Actually for amazon there is an add on for amazon for xbmc and xbmc and anything within it can do AirPlay.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:49 PM   #84
DVC Daisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
When you jailbreak anything can do AirPlay. Actually for amazon there is an add on for amazon for xbmc and xbmc and anything within it can do AirPlay.

Would I be able to do this with a new Apple TV?
Old 09-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #85
lovemymac
Earning My Ears

No cant jailbreak new apple tv yet. Just apple tv 2. If you wanted to do the same thing you could get a cheap Mac mini and plug it into the tv and have a dedicated Home theater that will do more then the atv will.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #86
lovemymac
Earning My Ears

Now you can AirPlay to the new atv. You can JB your iPad/ iPod iPhone and install xbmc that way and then AirPlay the video over to your new atv.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #87
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

see....some of you are getting so technical,and let's face it,expensive that it is the complete opposite of OP's original thread..... jailbreaking,tech specs,memberships here and there,and you might as well just keep the cable!
Here's the little I know for us non techie,non mac (read:expensive stuff) people.... OTA using an antenna is free,and easy. takes 5 minutes to set up.
A roku box hooked up is cheap (less than 50 straight up) and EASY. streams a number of EASILY watched things like netflix and hulu.
A Tivo is easy to hook up,once you pay a high initial cost (used,ebay,lifetime membership)
A dvd recorder is easy to use also,once you pay initial cost.
All these other things seem to require extra time,money,and tech savvy that don't = EASY.
Again, if that's what people want to do,that's fine. I myself am keeping the sat. box for a while,then likely just using an antenna for what I can't stream on a simple roku or whatever.
hsmamato2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #88
My2Pixies
Disney Dreamin'

I have gone the Netflix and Hulu Plus through the Roku route before, with a digital antenna for local stations. I hated it. Netflix had an abundance of B movies that I had never heard of, and very few actual shows worth watching. Hulu wasn't worth the fee at all. I had fun playing Angry Birds on the Roku but that was really the only thing I used it for. It was all a waste of money. IF I were to do it again, I would either get Amazon Prime or just purchase shows off of iTunes and watch them on my laptop. However, I ended up going back to having cable with a DVR and I'm very happy with it. I would cut down on many other expenses before I dropped it again.

Boardwalk Villas, Mar 2015
Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Aug 2012
My2Pixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #89
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

I agree about Netflix just sucking lately. I'm dropping the streaming since we never watch anything on it anymore. I did a comparison on what I pay for cable now and what it would cost to get the same experience with streaming. It would cost way more to ditch it, plus it would be a hassle and I'd still be missing things. Not worth my money, time or aggravation.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #90
lovemymac
Earning My Ears

I need to upload my video on the benefits of xbmc. Its the only way I was willing to drop satellite. I miss some shows in HD but otherwise I get so much more.
I get to watch tons of stuff that is not anywhere else.
Netflix has some stuff I liked but amazon prime is catching up and with newer movies and shows them Netflix.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: