Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #46
timmac
DIS Veteran

I use an option similar to what bettymae mentioned above, though perhaps a bit more hardcore extreme.

Although, rather than just OTA antenna, I'm using my cable provider via a cablecard. In a nutshell, I'm running a Windows 7 media center machine, attached to a WinTV-HD external cablecard adapter. The initial hardware costs out of the way, I'm paying $4/month for the cable card on top of my base cable costs. No $20+ a month for an HD DVR box, not even a monthly fee for tivo. It also serves as my DVD/Bluray player, emulates any number of video game consoles, does netflix, hulu, and so on. It's definitely one of my favorite toys
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #47
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

and.... what I'd like to do is run a tivo,using an OTA antenna...is this do-able?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #48
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

We dropped cable and satellite a couple years ago. We get neflix streaming for $9 a month. We purchased a $100 antenna and a$450-ish computer that we hooked to the TV - we use Windows Media Player to record like a DVR. At this time we can only record one show at a time but plan is to buy another card to do another one in the future.

We likely 'made back 'what we spent on the setup in about 5 months. And love the less than $10 a month bill now.

We don't miss a thing! If you are not avid sports watchers - I don't think anyone would miss it.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #49
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Yes you can do Tivo with OTA.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #50
runwad
Can someone tell me how to play SPUD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brymolmom View Post
We dropped cable and satellite a couple years ago. We get neflix streaming for $9 a month. We purchased a $100 antenna and a$450-ish computer that we hooked to the TV - we use Windows Media Player to record like a DVR. At this time we can only record one show at a time but plan is to buy another card to do another one in the future.

We likely 'made back 'what we spent on the setup in about 5 months. And love the less than $10 a month bill now.

We don't miss a thing! If you are not avid sports watchers - I don't think anyone would miss it.
Yes it's always the sports watcher in the house that negates getting a less expensive option. That would be my DH. I'm tired of paying the cable bills too. Me and the kids could just watch what little we watch on line on the network sites. Now if anyone knows a non-complicated way to get the sports, I'm all ears.
runwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #51
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runwad View Post
Yes it's always the sports watcher in the house that negates getting a less expensive option. That would be my DH. I'm tired of paying the cable bills too. Me and the kids could just watch what little we watch on line on the network sites. Now if anyone knows a non-complicated way to get the sports, I'm all ears.
It depends on what sports and where your teams are. You can get season packages for MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS, but if your team is in your local market (I live in Central Florida, so most all my teams are considered local by the respective sports) they will be blacked out so no sense in getting the packages. I am the sports nut so cable isn't going anywhere .
Old 09-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #52
tink576
Think of the Happiest Things, Fairies, Princesses and Kings!

I use a panasonic HDD recorder. There is a hard drive built into my dvd player and I use that as a dvr. Absolutely love it! It's a couple years old though, but well worth it.

tink576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #53
lovemymac
Earning My Ears

If you have a computer or an apple tv 1 or 2 or iPad with tv out cables I highly recommend installing xbmc. I didn't think I would use it at first but with all the add ons you can get sports of almost every kind if your into that. W are movie lovers and I love that I can get all my old classic tv shows I grew up watching and no one shows anymore but I can also watch anything new that is out usually within an hour or so after its aired.

It's a free program and well worth the 10-15 minutes it takes to get set up the first time. I love it and the best part is no cable or satellite bill every month. No cable or satellite going out when the weather gets bad. Only thing I don't get is local weather but I can see that on the Internet and I am going to put up an outdoor antenna just to get locals since we are in tornado alley.

I will say that you need good Internet to use the xbmc. Because slow Internet does not stream videos well.
That is my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
lovemymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #54
4GoofyCrew
Mouseketeer

We just got a DVR this summer...finally! We were still using our VCR! WOW, what a difference, wish we had done it years ago.

We have the Charter bundle and the DVR is free with our package.
01-2012 AS SPORTS Free DDP
Always dreaming about another trip!
4GoofyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #55
DawnM
Dawn

Yes, lifetime of the UNIT. So, if your Tivo has issues or dies, you lose the membership.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
I've been studying options...thanks to this thread I like the dvd recorder,but I think the tivo option sounds GREAT.....
any opinions? I think tivo is what I want,since I don't care about the recording capabilities....but then,am I stuck with a tivo subscription...kind of like that old satellite subscription?
I guess that's my big question..... I'd like to be more independant of subs.....but again,how is tivo service? if you get lifetime,is it really lifetime?

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #56
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GoofyCrew View Post
We just got a DVR this summer...finally! We were still using our VCR! WOW, what a difference, wish we had done it years ago.

Wait, what's a CHARTER BUNDLE?
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #57
DawnM
Dawn

cable TV, cable internet, and cable phone service.

It is not cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki02 View Post
Wait, what's a CHARTER BUNDLE?

Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #58
DawnM
Dawn

And how much is your package? And is it a teaser rate or the rate you will have forever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GoofyCrew View Post

Old 09-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #59
hsmamato2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink576 View Post
I use a panasonic HDD recorder. There is a hard drive built into my dvd player and I use that as a dvr. Absolutely love it! It's a couple years old though, but well worth it.
how do you know what/when to record on this?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #60
hsmamato2

well,I bought and tried out a cute little antenna that that isn't ugly...it works!!! I couldn't get ABC with it though I think the station is farther away, but we get like 15 channels..... perfectly clear!
But when I proposed dropping the sat. to DH,he said it was a bad idea surprised me,he said 37.00 a month is not that much..... SO I want to work on him,I don't think we'll miss anything doing it ourselves...
My big worry is ds2 and animal planet shows....I think I can get them all streaming, either through amazon or hulu,etc.
TO me,37.00 is 444.00 I could use for something else.....and the OTA channels looked better than the sat. channels!
ANyone here watch animal planet streaming? ds LOVES Tanked,animal cops,hillbilly handfishing.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: