Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #31
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

You can buy a Tivo on Ebay but YOU still have to pay for the service, it doesn't come with it. Tivo also uses Cablecards if you have cable/sat service and your provider offers them. They usually run about 2/3 bucks a month.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #32
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

Some ebay listing are selling their tivos with lifetime service already on the box so one would not have to pay for service if they chose that route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
You can buy a Tivo on Ebay but YOU still have to pay for the service, it doesn't come with it. Tivo also uses Cablecards if you have cable/sat service and your provider offers them. They usually run about 2/3 bucks a month.
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #33
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
can you explain this further? I am so interested....... it sounds perfect for us!
also how does one find a tivo box that works on ebay,and has a lifetime use membership? I want something that isn't involved with cable SO much....
well, a DVD recorder with hard drive works like a DVR. you record the show(s) onto the hard drive, and you can play them back later. it will also allow you to burn the show to a DVD, if you'd like to keep it. pretty simple, and all you have to pay for is the unit itself. no subscriptions or fees.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #34
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

wow- what would I look for in a dvd recorder? I think we could get by with very few channels that we actually watch....and another question if I had one of these,could it be hooked up to a roku for streaming? I am interested in some of the amazon video shows we could buy per show,vs a set price for tv we don't watch most of anyway.
there are so many things out there and I don't know what to look for!
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #35
hsmamato2

looking into options,my own ds has been telling me to cut the cable....
Old 09-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #36
Disneefun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
well, a DVD recorder with hard drive works like a DVR. you record the show(s) onto the hard drive, and you can play them back later. it will also allow you to burn the show to a DVD, if you'd like to keep it. pretty simple, and all you have to pay for is the unit itself. no subscriptions or fees.
We have one and love it. Ours also has a VHS recorder/player, so it enabled us to transfer all of our family VHS's to DVD's. That alone paid for the price of the machine since sending them out to be converted would have been hundreds of dollars.
Disneefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #37
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneefun View Post
We have one and love it. Ours also has a VHS recorder/player, so it enabled us to transfer all of our family VHS's to DVD's. That alone paid for the price of the machine since sending them out to be converted would have been hundreds of dollars.
awesome! i'm going to look for one of those!
Old 09-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #38
lovemymac
Earning My Ears

Iove my DVr because I can set things to record from my phone or iPad. It knows new shows vs repeats. It's nice to be able to have more then one thing recording. In fact I can do 5 at once.

Though for those wanting to get rid of cable or satellite I say try XBMC. It's a free program and not only do you get current movies and tv shows but lots of classic movies and tv shows. I love it because it allows our family to watch lots of classic tv. I grew up watching shows like Andy Griffith, dick van dyke and then all the great shows of the 80s.

I didn't know if I'd like it at first but it is nice. You just have to have good Internet. Satellite Internet or dial up won't work. Not that anyone has dial up anymore but some might who live in the country.
lovemymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #39
JB2K
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by semo233 View Post
That might depend upon what cable service provider you have. I recently got rid of a lot of channels and our dvr. Can you believe the DVR box cost $25 per month and the box without the dvr cost $5 with Charter?
I believe it -- though Charter is one of my "hometown" companies (their HQ is in St. Louis), I know once the promotional period is over, the fees go wild!

OP - if you really, really like your cable company (and want a DVR), I would suggest going to eBay and purchasing a TiVO with a lifetime subscription attached to the box -- it won't be cheap, up front, but that will be all the money you have to pay...

For those suggesting Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc., that's apples and oranges...
Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #40
hsmamato2

I've been studying options...thanks to this thread I like the dvd recorder,but I think the tivo option sounds GREAT.....
any opinions? I think tivo is what I want,since I don't care about the recording capabilities....but then,am I stuck with a tivo subscription...kind of like that old satellite subscription?
I guess that's my big question..... I'd like to be more independant of subs.....but again,how is tivo service? if you get lifetime,is it really lifetime?
Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #41
hsmamato2

also.... the tivo seems simpler for my needs....I have been payong for sat. service for 10 years simply b/c of the dvr.....
don't want hard copies of things, just want to record and watch when it's convenient!
Old 09-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #42
kiki02
DIS Veteran

What about another option LIKE tivo, no monthly fees?

Are there other units you can buy that 's a dvr but w no monthly fee?
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #43
bettymae1121
sure. fine. whatever.

DH set up a computer just for the TV and there is a program we use that turns the PC into a DVR, the signal from the ariel antena is routed thru the computer. Not as easy to use as a DVR but better than $90 a month for cable! We have a wireless keyboard to control the computer from the couch.

We also have Netflix and Hulu Plus to round things out, since we have the computer hooked up to the tv we don't need a Roku box.

bettymae1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #44
kellia
DIS Veteran

I LOVE our DVR! But, I hate the expense. With the dvd recorder, can you record more than one channel at a time? Also, does it have a menu with programming on it, or do you have to put in the channel and time like we used to with a vcr?

If anyone has a dvd recorder, what brand/model? Thanks!

I could get rid of cable with no problem, but since Comcast is our only option for internet (dh works from home and needs it) it wouldn't save any money if we dropped the internet/phone/cable package.
kellia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #45
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned and should be if you're looking to get rid of your cable DVR. Depending on what kind of cable package you have you could lose a number of channels if you ditch your box. For instance, I don't have a DVR (I did at one time) but I do have a cable box. I receive over 200 channels, most all of them HD but some like locals which you need a converter box to receive. Even with Tivo and a Cablecard I would still lose a number of channels because of the encryption. Especially some sports channels. Make sure you look at what you're getting now compared with what you will probably lose if you get rid of the box.

As far as other DVR-type equipment Channel Master makes a good one but it is for mostly OTA and basic cable with QAM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: