Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3ds View Post
We just disconnected our satellite. We have a wifi tv downstairs, a roku box upstairs. We have added Hulu plus and Netflix. Im using amazon video on demand for the walking dead, whn it starts.

I just bought a TiVo box off of eBay as well.

All told, our bill will drop from 150 a month (for satellite & Internet) to about 80 a month (Internet, Hulu plus, net flix, a few movie rentals).

I will probably pay for the lifetime service for TiVo. Mainly so we can pause or rewind and record Monday night football and shows on CBS (which doesn't stream).

I'm also looking at getting an apple tv box so we can watch videos from the iPad on the tv (food network shows online and other stuff).

i have to say, i don't really understand tivo. so i buy it (and how much is that) and i also buy monthly service?
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICF View Post
I can't imagine watching TV without one.
Me either.

I just tell it to record X show, new new episodes only and I never have to miss a show again. I have dozens of shows set this way.

I can search for a show or series and then record in a few clicks.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #18
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

It is an independent DVR. I bought a box off of eBay, with the wifi receiver, for about 100.00.

On the TiVo website, the clearance section had the same items for a total of over $150.

I'm waiting for them to be shipped so I haven't connected yet. The monthly fee is 14.99 or you can pay for lifetime service (on that box) for 400, I think.

There are different models depending on what you use. I made sure to get a box I could use with an ota (over the air antenna).
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3ds View Post
It is an independent DVR. I bought a box off of eBay, with the wifi receiver, for about 100.00.

On the TiVo website, the clearance section had the same items for a total of over $150.

I'm waiting for them to be shipped so I haven't connected yet. The monthly fee is 14.99 or you can pay for lifetime service (on that box) for 400, I think.

There are different models depending on what you use. I made sure to get a box I could use with an ota (over the air antenna).
OK< thanks. i was trying to stay away (budget) from the 14.99 a month just to record. that's what we almost have now. that plus the moveis, plus the cable, plus plus plus! ((
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #20
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

Yep, even with a TiVo, we'd still save at least 50 a month if I dont do he lifetime service.

I got ticked off one day last week when I was home during the day and there was absolutely nothing on any of the 200 channels we had.

We get a great signal for the local channels and the HD picture is so much better with the antenna than with cable or satellite.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #21
lovemymac
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO

We still have a VCR/DVD combo. Haha. I buy VHS Disney movies at Goodwill for 10 cents a piece and we have pizza and a movie night with the kids. And I'll be recording a Jake and the Neverland Pirates special tomorrow night on a tape that I've been using for about 20 years...lol.

OP, if we miss an ep of one of our faves, we watch it on the network website or buy an episode from amazon.com. Like, for instance, Breaking Bad. But for most things, if it isn't a show we are going to be able to see religiously then we wait until it comes out on DVD and get it from netflix. We have so much going on we don't mind being a season behind.
VHS look horrible on a HDTV. Eve standard DVD don't look great.
We are getting rid of directv once our special price is up.
We use my jailbroken apple tv 2 with xbmc. I can watch most any tv show and movie I want. I get Hulu and tons of other channels for free.

If your interested it can also be installed on iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or pc.
lovemymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #22
gratefulfred
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Truse me...DVR's dont "suck".

I suppose in general you can't take a DVR to a friends house, without some extra effort....but you also:

don't have to find a blank tape.....find the spot of the tape you're looking for...have all sorts of tapes around the house taking up space.

My DVR's store probably a hundred hours of programs....organize them by program so if I have 5 episodes of X recorded, they are all grouped together and put in date order so they are easy to find.

You can skip commericals in seconds....forget to set a program to record...no problem, I can do it by my iPhone.

Watching a show "live" and the phone rings...want a snack...have to go pee...no problem, just pause it. Couldn't hear what they said, just rewind. Watching live tv without a DVR and you can't do any of those things.

I've had a DVR since around 2001 -- I can't imagine watching TV without one.
I know the benefits but Im just saying you don't really have anything, your just renting it for a monthly fee and when you stop paying its gone. I really think this is being pushed on people by the movie and music industry to keep people paying for something they don't have. Why don't they put a usb port for a flashdrive on a dvr? Because they don't want you to be able to keep what your paying for. Oh yeah I really wish I had a dvr
gratefulfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #23
lovemymac
Earning My Ears

You can record anything on it to your computer. You just need a device that takes the audio video output from the DVR to USB for the computer. I did a bunch of old VHS for someone that way and cleaned them up.
DVR is great for most people because most people don't keep the shows. They just want them time delayed so they can watch on their schedule. For us it's because I hate commercials so I can typically start watching a show half recorded so I can ff.

That and I can record 5 things at once on my DVR and I use all 5 sometimes. Usually about 4. What can I say we like tv.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
lovemymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #24
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

Some DVRs do have USB ports to attach portable hard drives.

I don't care about storing hundreds of movies or shows, I just want the option to pause or rewind when watching live tv.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #25
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

we currently use a VCR, but, when it dies, we're going to get a DVD recorder with a hard drive. you can use the hard drive just like a DVR, but there are no fees. the DVD recorder with hard drive is about $150.00.

ETA: we only use the VCR to tape TV shows we might miss, so the DVD recorder with hard drive would be a great option for us, but it might not be for everyone.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #26
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

We dropped cable (antennae in attic) + 2 TiVos with lifetime service. You can find them (with lifetime membership) on eBay.

I'm not a fan of monthly fees...at all.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #27
gratefulfred
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
we currently use a VCR, but, when it dies, we're going to get a DVD recorder with a hard drive. you can use the hard drive just like a DVR, but there are no fees. the DVD recorder with hard drive is about $150.00.

ETA: we only use the VCR to tape TV shows we might miss, so the DVD recorder with hard drive would be a great option for us, but it might not be for everyone.
Wow thats what i want i guess I gotta catch up
gratefulfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #28
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulfred View Post
Wow thats what i want i guess I gotta catch up
wal-mart has them we might go ahead and just get it for Christmas. i'm tired of the VCR being so temperamental, lol. you can't record with the remote anymore; it only works if you set the timer, or walk up to the VCR and push the record button.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #29
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post

can you explain this further? I am so interested....... it sounds perfect for us!
also how does one find a tivo box that works on ebay,and has a lifetime use membership? I want something that isn't involved with cable SO much....
hsmamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 AM   #30
roliepolieoliefan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't imagine watching TV without one.
Me either.

There are alot of things I will give up to save money but my DVR is definetly not one of them.
We don't even watch that much TV but with our schedules it seems we can never watch what we want when we want.

A DVR is sooooo convenient.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: