Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
kiki02
DIS Veteran

No more DVR :( too expensive

with our cable provider.

what do other people use that might be more affordable? thank you.
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

You can subscribe to Netflix (the online streaming only) for $7.99/month I think. We have Netflix but I can't remember how much it is. It's no replacement for cable or DVR but it does have some good shows & movies. They don't have any current seasons of shows, though.

There is also Hulu & Hulu Plus you could look at.

Other than that, there isn't much out there that is affordable. We only have basic cable which doesn't have any of the good channels so we just deal with it. I do wish I could watch AMC, HGTV, and TLC though.

Me-29: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
runwad
Can someone tell me how to play SPUD?

Just to record shows? We still use our VCR, it's free
runwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
semo233
DIS Veteran

That might depend upon what cable service provider you have. I recently got rid of a lot of channels and our dvr. Can you believe the DVR box cost $25 per month and the box without the dvr cost $5 with Charter?

Now that we do not have recording capabilities, we use on demand when we can. On demand includes some channels we already pay for and offers some programs. Not all channels are available and not all shows are available.

Netflix is $8 per month, but we purchased a Roku for a one time $50 to stream it to the TV. I found that streaming Netflix does not have as much as I thought it would. My DD15 likes to watch some of the TV series and when she has had her fill, we will switch over to Hulu Plus which is known to have more movies and is also about $8 per month.

With phone, cable and TV, our bill should now be about $100 per month.

semo233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #5
PatMcDuck
DIS Veteran

I use Tivo, so I do not pay my cable provider for DVR service.

Some of my Tivos have lifetime service, so no more fees, and they last for years and years.
PatMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM   #6
ICF
DIS Veteran

I think my actual DVR fee is less than $10 / mo with Direct TV -- and we have 3 DVR's in the house.

and I can't believe someone still uses a VCR -- do they still sell blank tapes for them??
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
DawnM
Dawn

We got rid of satellite completely! The bill got up to $100/mo with Directv with 3 DVRs.

We now have Roku boxes and an antenna!

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
elgerber
Sometimes you gotta bite the bullet & see a movie alone
Likes to grill year round

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICF View Post
I think my actual DVR fee is less than $10 / mo with Direct TV -- and we have 3 DVR's in the house.

and I can't believe someone still uses a VCR -- do they still sell blank tapes for them??
DirectTV does only charge 1 fee no matter how many DVRs you have. We also have 3, and just pay that one small fee.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
gratefulfred
Mouseketeer

They still sell vcrs so they still sell tapes. I think dvrs suck you spend all that money and you don't really have anything. You can't take your dvr copy to a friends house and watch it over there. I'm sticking with vcrs until the last tape is gone
gratefulfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #10
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICF View Post

I have some in my garage. My neighbor was very grateful last year!

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulfred View Post
They still sell vcrs so they still sell tapes. I think dvrs suck you spend all that money and you don't really have anything. You can't take your dvr copy to a friends house and watch it over there. I'm sticking with vcrs until the last tape is gone
We still have a VCR/DVD combo. Haha. I buy VHS Disney movies at Goodwill for 10 cents a piece and we have pizza and a movie night with the kids. And I'll be recording a Jake and the Neverland Pirates special tomorrow night on a tape that I've been using for about 20 years...lol.

OP, if we miss an ep of one of our faves, we watch it on the network website or buy an episode from amazon.com. Like, for instance, Breaking Bad. But for most things, if it isn't a show we are going to be able to see religiously then we wait until it comes out on DVD and get it from netflix. We have so much going on we don't mind being a season behind.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
You can pull the file off and burn it to DVD.....I do it with my Tivo.

Jill in CO
Old 09-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #13
ICF
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Truse me...DVR's dont "suck".

I suppose in general you can't take a DVR to a friends house, without some extra effort....but you also:

don't have to find a blank tape.....find the spot of the tape you're looking for...have all sorts of tapes around the house taking up space.

My DVR's store probably a hundred hours of programs....organize them by program so if I have 5 episodes of X recorded, they are all grouped together and put in date order so they are easy to find.

You can skip commericals in seconds....forget to set a program to record...no problem, I can do it by my iPhone.

Watching a show "live" and the phone rings...want a snack...have to go pee...no problem, just pause it. Couldn't hear what they said, just rewind. Watching live tv without a DVR and you can't do any of those things.

I've had a DVR since around 2001 -- I can't imagine watching TV without one.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
ellie05
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by semo233 View Post
That might depend upon what cable service provider you have. I recently got rid of a lot of channels and our dvr. Can you believe the DVR box cost $25 per month and the box without the dvr cost $5 with Charter?

Now that we do not have recording capabilities, we use on demand when we can. On demand includes some channels we already pay for and offers some programs. Not all channels are available and not all shows are available.

Netflix is $8 per month, but we purchased a Roku for a one time $50 to stream it to the TV. I found that streaming Netflix does not have as much as I thought it would. My DD15 likes to watch some of the TV series and when she has had her fill, we will switch over to Hulu Plus which is known to have more movies and is also about $8 per month.

With phone, cable and TV, our bill should now be about $100 per month.

We have charter for years and never paid $25 for our DVR. We pay $15 for the DVR. Of course every year I make sure I get a new promotional package. We pay $101 including all the taxes, internet, cable, dvr, and HBO and I think is cinemax or showtime.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
momof3ds
Mouseketeer

We just disconnected our satellite. We have a wifi tv downstairs, a roku box upstairs. We have added Hulu plus and Netflix. Im using amazon video on demand for the walking dead, whn it starts.

I just bought a TiVo box off of eBay as well.

All told, our bill will drop from 150 a month (for satellite & Internet) to about 80 a month (Internet, Hulu plus, net flix, a few movie rentals).

I will probably pay for the lifetime service for TiVo. Mainly so we can pause or rewind and record Monday night football and shows on CBS (which doesn't stream).

I'm also looking at getting an apple tv box so we can watch videos from the iPad on the tv (food network shows online and other stuff).
momof3ds is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: