Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #76
Queila
DIS Veteran

Life update on previous page.

Day 3- Tuesday, 28th August 2012- Animal Kingdom Day

So even though we were spending almost 10 days at Disney I had planned for only one day at Animal Kingdom and I absolutely wanted to make the best of it.

I had prepared my friends mentally for the long day ahead. I explained that I was probably going to be a little more pushy than on the two previous days when it came to moving effectively around the park and making it in time for shows and attractions. They said they were ok with it.

So I said we should meet at 8h15am at the lobby of the hotel and by that time everybody should be properly fed, with mugs refilled, bathroom brakes taken and ready to go. Surprisingly enough, it worked! It worked so well in fact that it became our routine for the entire trip. Everybody knew we should meet at 8h15 am at the lobby and in that manner we were able to make it for rope drop every single day of our trip!

That was a first time we were able to see the rope drop on all four parks and, you know what they say, once you go rope drop you cannot go back.

So we made it to Animal Kingdom with time to spare.

Mandatory entrance pictures:

Once inside, I realized for the first time that the rope drop ceremony at AK actually happens around the Discovery Island. I didn't see much of it because we were too far back but I heard the countdown and we followed the crowd to Kilimanjaro Safaris.

The safari is probably one of my favorite things to do in all WDW and I loved the expressions of pure amazement of my first time visitor friends.

Mandatory animal pictures:

And the human beings:

Monkey face:

Immediately ater the safari we decided to give the kids animal face painting.I had told Beatriz about it before leaving for our trip and she was pretty excited about it. So while the guys went to grab FP's for Expedition Everest, my friend A. and I brought the three kids to the face painting stand.

Decisions, decisions, decisions:

Let the transformation begin:

And... voilà!

Next up:
How much were we really able to accomplish at Animal Kingdom? And is the tropical storm really over?

Last edited by Queila; 05-13-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Queila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #77
Queila
DIS Veteran

Day 3- Tuesday, 28th of August, 2012- A full day at Animal Kingdom.

With their faces widely painted and with potty breaks properly taken we made our way to "It is tough to be a bug".

Have I mentioned how difficult I found to move 7 bodies around the park in a good pace? Specially with three strollers!

I had brought Beatriz to "It is Tough to Be a Bug" on her very first trip at 14 months old. She was way too young to be scared and chances are she was sleeping on me during the attraction anyways. So I was a little nervous about it this time but decided to give it a go. We told the kids it was going to be dark and the animals were going to try to scare us and they were fine with it.

The movie started and everybody is enjoying it until... spoil alert... the big spiders start coming down over the audience. Somehow I ended up with both girls hanging on my neck screaming and crying! I kept them held tight against me until the end of the show and by then they were all laughing about it. So...mixed feelings about bringing her back there on a future visit.

So after ITTBAB it was time to use our FP's for Expedition Everest. So the 7 of us made our way to Dinoland so we could keep the kids entertained while the adults went on the ride.

Both guys went on the ride twice: once together and once with the respective wife. In the meantime, whoever was not at Everest kept company to the kids.

So we rode the dinos:

Watch out for the photobomber!!!

And we brought them to the Boneyard:

After every adult had had their fill of Expedition Everest we were ready for lunch. However, after all the playing and sweating at the Boneyard the kids were hot, hyper and overly excited. We kept telling them NOT to spray water or scratch their faces because of the painting and they were not having it.

Then it happened: a collective melt down! All three kids freaking out at the same time.

I don't even know what the freaking out was about but it was bad. I brought Beatriz to the bathroom to calm her down. She was hungry, hot and sticky and the face painting wasn't helping at all. So I washed her off, cleaned her face and changed her clothes. It calmed her down. My friend A. did the same thing to her kids and everybody was happy it was time to go grab some food.

So, there you have it... face painting lasted a total of about 2 hours.

At least we got lots of pictures.

So we headed to our favorite counter service restaurant in all WDW: Flame Tree BBQ. We LOVE it there and we always have a relaxed meal by the water. However, by the time we sat down to eat it started pouring down again. The rain and the wind made eating there a bit of a challenge with the flying napkins and rain drops on our food. At least we had food in our bellies and the grumpiness was being kept to a minimum. I was starting to wonder how we were going to continue our day when the rain stopped. Yay.

The clouds were still looming over us so I thought it was the perfect time to go see a show. The Festival of the Lion King it is!

Mandatory picture before the show:

Daddy-daughter love:

Going for TFOTLK was a great move because by the time we left the sun was back but we could tell it had rained some more while we were inside:

I am not sure why but we did not stay for pictures with characters at the Greeting Trails this time. Maybe we were in a hurry to make it to the next show of Nemo- the Musical across the park.

Both shows were amazing as usual and our friends were officially in love with Disney by then. With the sun and heat back on full blast it was the perfect opportunity to introduce them to a classic Disney snack!!

With our sweet tooth satisfied we headed to DINOSAUR!

Once again, the adults took turns taking care of the kids so everybody could enjoy the ride. Because I am not a big fan of this ride I actually gave up my turn so my friend A. could go twice. On her second turn she actually brought her daughter M. who was tall enough to ride. Everybody loved it.

While I was waiting outside with Beatriz I just let her have it with the water spray bottle. Knock yourself out kid!

So by this time we maybe had an hour left before park closing time and we still hadn't met any characters. Our friends also wanted to do some shopping. Because Joey and I are not really into spending time in the souvenir stores we kindda assume everyone feels the same.

Not cool, I know.

So I suggested to stay in line with the kids to meet some characters while they went to browse a nearby store.

We wanted to meet the characters from Up. By the time we got in line Russle was taking pictures but then he went on a break and Doug was the one who came back. It is ok because we love Doug. SQUIRREL!!

And there you have it, K. and A. did their shopping, we had our hundredth potty break of the day and we left the park maybe 15 minutes before closing time.

How is that for a full day at Animal Kingdom?!?

I still don't understand how people can do this park in half a day. There were still quite a few things I would have like to have done: Kali River Rapids, Flights of Wonder, Conservation Station, the forest trail etc. But hey... there is always next time!

Next up:
Evening at PORFQ

Last edited by Queila; 05-13-2013 at 07:50 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #78
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering from depression, but I'm glad you are taking the steps to take care of it.

Yay for Disneyland this summer!

As for Animal Kingdom, I totally understand you in saying it's a full day park, not half day. There is so much to do there, when you take the time to explore. Glad your friends liked it!
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #79
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great pics!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #80
PrincessesX3
Mouseketeer

Sorry to hear. Hang in there. Glad to see you back updating. Missed it!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #81
cherjp
I am a disney nutter! Every time I reply I kill the thread..... stone dead!!

Hey Queila ,

glad you are back and I am sorry you have been suffering from depression, but its not a surprise. You need to take very good care of yourself and I am glad you are getting help.

Loving your latest instalments, Beatriz is sooo grown up , its lovely to see her smiling face in the trippie, she is such a lovely wee girl .

You guys look like you had a fantanstic time.

AK is not our favourite park at all, there are only a couple of things we like to do there, Everest, Dinosaur and .. Its tough to be a bug !

YOu looked like you were having a fab time . We are doing AK on our first full day in July but not planning to stay there all day. Tusker house for our friends birthday, see what we can do thereafter.

Looking forward to more of your trippie. Meant to add good luck with your new job. xxx
Old 06-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #82
Queila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I'm sorry to hear you are suffering from depression, but I'm glad you are taking the steps to take care of it.

Yay for Disneyland this summer!

As for Animal Kingdom, I totally understand you in saying it's a full day park, not half day. There is so much to do there, when you take the time to explore. Glad your friends liked it!
Thanks Mel. I am feeling better now. The countdown to Disneyland has begun. We are very excited about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great pics!
We miss Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessesX3 View Post
Sorry to hear. Hang in there. Glad to see you back updating. Missed it!
Thank you! I am feeling much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherjp View Post
Hey Queila ,

glad you are back and I am sorry you have been suffering from depression, but its not a surprise. You need to take very good care of yourself and I am glad you are getting help.

Loving your latest instalments, Beatriz is sooo grown up , its lovely to see her smiling face in the trippie, she is such a lovely wee girl .

You guys look like you had a fantanstic time.

AK is not our favourite park at all, there are only a couple of things we like to do there, Everest, Dinosaur and .. Its tough to be a bug !

YOu looked like you were having a fab time . We are doing AK on our first full day in July but not planning to stay there all day. Tusker house for our friends birthday, see what we can do thereafter.

Looking forward to more of your trippie. Meant to add good luck with your new job. xxx
We love AK (actually I can,t really pick a favorite park). Somehow I can always find something else to do, even if it is just meeting characters. I think on our next trip (hopefully in 2014) Beatriz will be big enough to do Everest so we will be able to bring it to the next level. We like Tusker House too. I am sure you will have a lovely time.

Last edited by Queila; 06-28-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #83
Queila
DIS Veteran

Day 3- Tuesday, Aug, 28th 2012- Animal Kingdom Day- Evening at POFQ

So after playing a full day at Animal Kingdom we went back to POFQ for some swimming. However, as soon as we got back to the hotel it started raining again. It rained pretty much on and off all day that day.

But that did not stop those two:

I tried to stay out with them for a little bit but after a while I wet back to the room to rest for a little bit.

You can't really see it in the picture but it was raining hard:

At night we ate at the counter service of our hotel (no sit down meals for us that day).

I love my sit downs but I have to admit I enjoyed it immensely not having the pressure to make it to a restaurant at a fixed time.

We really loved our meal at Sassagula Floatworks.Everything was fresh and prepared after you order it so it is not super fast but it is worth the wait.

For super Beatriz had the pasta with the red sauce:

I had the jambalaya (it was okay) with the corn bread (yummy) and the gumbo (amazing):

For some reason I don't have pictures of Joey's food but he had some fish and I do remember him raving about the collard greens.

For dessert:

Beignets!!

For that night we were planning to go to the bonfire or to watch the movie under the stars but due to the weather the bonfire was cancelled and the movie was moved inside.

It was a long day so we just called it a night, grabbed our umbrellas and went back to our rooms for a good night of sleep:

Next up:
Day 4- DHS

Last edited by Queila; 06-29-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:41 PM   #84
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

Yay! I found it!

Going to start reading now.

2014 (July) Contemporary -Concierge (Bay Lake View) 2013 (July) POR - 2012 (December) Contemporary -2012 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View), 2011 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View),2010 (July) Contemporary (MK View), 2010- (March) All-Star Music, 2009- Contemporary (MK View),2008- Port Orleans Riverside (July),2007- Port Orleans Riverside (May & December),2006 - All-Star Music (July),2004 - All-Star Music (May),2000 - Travelodge Maingate (April),1991 - Rodeway (On intl' drive),1987- Quality Inn,1985 - Sheraton
PopArtGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #85
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

Awe sorry that Bea wasn't feeling well in the plain. I can understand though. I once felt very queezy on an Air Canada flight... but it was coming back and in a very old plain that smelled bad.

I love your review of POFQ. We are fan of PORS but might go over and check it out.

But ewww for the cockroach!

2014 (July) Contemporary -Concierge (Bay Lake View) 2013 (July) POR - 2012 (December) Contemporary -2012 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View), 2011 (July) Contemporary- Concierge (Bay Lake View),2010 (July) Contemporary (MK View), 2010- (March) All-Star Music, 2009- Contemporary (MK View),2008- Port Orleans Riverside (July),2007- Port Orleans Riverside (May & December),2006 - All-Star Music (July),2004 - All-Star Music (May),2000 - Travelodge Maingate (April),1991 - Rodeway (On intl' drive),1987- Quality Inn,1985 - Sheraton
Old 06-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #86
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

We have a ressie at Via Napoli in two weeks. You are making me so hungry. I understand how that restaurant defines eating. It's what eating should be about lol

Old 06-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #87
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

I am so sorry for all the bad things that happened in your life. I'm sending you lots of love and pixie dust and positive vibes.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #88
PopArtGal
Mushu's Best Gal Pal

Oh a Disneyland vacation!! That is exciting!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #89
Queila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopArtGal View Post
Yay! I found it!

Going to start reading now.
Quote:
Awe sorry that Bea wasn't feeling well in the plain. I can understand though. I once felt very queezy on an Air Canada flight... but it was coming back and in a very old plain that smelled bad.

I love your review of POFQ. We are fan of PORS but might go over and check it out.

But ewww for the cockroach!
Quote:
We have a ressie at Via Napoli in two weeks. You are making me so hungry. I understand how that restaurant defines eating. It's what eating should be about lol
Quote:
I am so sorry for all the bad things that happened in your life. I'm sending you lots of love and pixie dust and positive vibes.
Quote:
Oh a Disneyland vacation!! That is exciting!

Hey girl! Glad to see you made it here. Enjoy your upcoming trip.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #90
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Swimming in the rain is awesome. And I LOVE those ladybugs floaters!
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: