Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #31
pinkxray
DIS Veteran

I didn't even realize you had a trip report going. I've been such a Dis slacker lately.

POFQ always looks lovely in pictures. I am happy to hear you enjoyed it so much. It does seem like having it be so compact and easy to get around would be a huge plus, especially with a little one.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip
Old 10-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #32
thornton0511
DIS Veteran

Hi Queila I'm a lurker named Jenn who has really enjoyed reading your awesome TR's and thought I would follow along this time if that is alright
thornton0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #33
Queila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I see the hidden Mickey! POFQ looks like such a beautiful resort. It's too bad it seems to often be excluded from the discounts. I guess it's just popular enough on its own.
I recommend POFQ to everyone. It was really pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIESMITH View Post
I've always written off the Port Orleans resorts because New Orleans is only a two hour Amtrack ride from home and we want something different while on vacation. Perhaps I need to rethink that. The food sounds amazing!
I totally understand. I have no interest of staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort for that same reason. If I want the Caribbean vibe I can take a vacation on an island period. Even if you are not staying at POFQ it is worth at least a visit though. If for nothing else, for the beignets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
A bit late, but I'm subscribing!! Your daughter is to cute!!

We stayed at POFQ back in June and also loved it!! We had Debby to worry about, and it rained and rained and rained, so I feel you on the Isaac drama!
Thanks. The way things are going it seems there is no such a ting as hurricane season anymore. You just never know. Hope the rain did not put a damp on your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkxray View Post
I didn't even realize you had a trip report going. I've been such a Dis slacker lately.

POFQ always looks lovely in pictures. I am happy to hear you enjoyed it so much. It does seem like having it be so compact and easy to get around would be a huge plus, especially with a little one.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip
Hey!! Welcome. YOu made it here. Yes, POFQ was a pleasant surprise. Definitely, a good fit for our family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton0511 View Post
Hi Queila I'm a lurker named Jenn who has really enjoyed reading your awesome TR's and thought I would follow along this time if that is alright
Welcome!!! So glad you stepped out of your "lurkerdom". I love to get to know who is reading.

Q
Queila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #34
Queila
DIS Veteran

Life update

Ok ... so this TR started off by being neglected already. Not a good sign.

It has been a busy month. My co-worker was on vacation for three weeks and I covered her shifts going from being a part timer to a full timer and that sucked!

Not sure I can ever be a full timer again.

We also got busy with some renovations in our house. We are giving Beatriz her "big girl" room we had promised her a while ago. Not going to lie... it is sad to see the baby stuff go.

I know I am late to the party but we just recently got into watching Once Upon a Time. A friend lent me the entire 1st season and we have been watching it non stop for the past couple of weeks. Anyone else hooked on it?

We also went back to the fertility clinic and got asked to do a bunch of other tests. We are doing the tests right now and we will see the doctor again in December to decide what to do. I want to give it a shot but I also want to keep my sanity. It is balancing act.

Joey went on for months and months being strong for me but now that I am doing better (therapy is helping me) I think he found the opportunity to start his own grieving. It is hard to see him cry. What a year it has been.

On a ligher note, I am also busy planning a little get away for our family to New York in the beginning of December. We want to bring Bea to see Mary Poppins on Broadway. It should be fun!

Anyways, I think that covers the major events.

On with the TR!
Q

Last edited by Queila; 10-30-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #35
Queila
DIS Veteran

Day 1- Sunday, Aug. 26th 2012- Arrival at Epcot, lunch at Via Napoli.

Since we were all checked in at POFQ and taking advantage of the break from the rain we decided to change and make our way to Epcot as fast as possible.

I love the feeling of stepping into the first park of the trip. Specially when you realize that no matter how many times you have done it, the "magic" is still there.

By this time we were all STARVING! We had reservations for an "early super" at Via Napoli at 16h30 but decided to make it there right away (it was maybe 1pm by then) and make it into a lunch.

Not before a picture a family:

Right after we took this picture the flood gates opened upon our heads in the form of a squall. We tried to outrun it but we all ended up soaking wet. We took shelter on the gift shop between Future World and World Showcase but it was too late. All adults and kids were now not only hungry but also wet.

We waited it out a bit, put our ponchos on and made our way to Via Napoli. We had no problems checking in a couple of hours earlier and got seated right away.

Mezzo metro pizza:

The pizza was amazing. We were 4 adults and 3 kids and we all enjoyed it. I have to say that maybe because we were all very hungry we could have probably eaten more but the bread basket and the dessert took care of that.

We payed for this meal out of pocket.

Acqua fresca for me:

My Italian husband with my half Italian daughter were feeling right at home:

Happy to be at Disney:

The zeppole was divine!! It totally hit the spot and I may or may not have drunk that chocolate syrup out of the dispenser:

The famous wood fire ovens:

I recommend Via Napoli to everyone. The place is not only pleasing to the eyes but everything we had tasted really good. I would go back there in a heart beat.

Next Up:
Enjoying Epcot in spite of the rain.

Last edited by Queila; 10-30-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #36
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Yay, an update! Jamie and I have been discussing having another baby after Maddy starts school, but it is so hard with just one and both of us working full time. His sister had a little boy yesterday so he has baby fever big time! There is a book called "Heaven is for Real" that helped one of my friends deal with her miscarriage. You may not feel up to reading it yet, or even be very religous, but I know that it changed her perspective. I really hope that she and her husband will be able to have a child someday because they would make such great parents. We LOVE Once Upon A Time. A Broadway show sounds awesome! I've never been to New York, but that would top my list of things to see and do if I ever got the change to go. I can't wait to read more about Epcot!

Disney's Boardwalk Villas January 2015 Desperate For More Disney Magic

JAMIESMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #37
Queila
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yay, an update! Jamie and I have been discussing having another baby after Maddy starts school, but it is so hard with just one and both of us working full time. His sister had a little boy yesterday so he has baby fever big time! There is a book called "Heaven is for Real" that helped one of my friends deal with her miscarriage. You may not feel up to reading it yet, or even be very religous, but I know that it changed her perspective. I really hope that she and her husband will be able to have a child someday because they would make such great parents. We LOVE Once Upon A Time. A Broadway show sounds awesome! I've never been to New York, but that would top my list of things to see and do if I ever got the change to go. I can't wait to read more about Epcot!
Hey Jamie,
Baby fever, eh? I really love motherhood and would not mind having 4 or 5 kids but raising kids is getting harder and harder in this crazy world so I would totally "settle" for one more. We'll see what happens.

As it turns out I am a very spiritual person and my faith has kept me sane throughout the pain and has helped me to keep things into perspective. Therapy has helped me see WHY this has hit me so hard though. I think I have lived a pretty "sheltered" life. I have always felt very surrounded and protected by the love of my family and of my God so this loss was maybe the first time in my life that I felt so vulnerable to the pain. I am much better now.

Thanks for recommending the book. I will look into it.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #38
Queila
DIS Veteran

Day 1- Sunday- Aug. 26th 2012- Dodging the rain at Future World, dinner at Sunshine Seasons and, who knew, Illuminations.

The original plan was to spend the rest of the afternoon exploring Word Showcase but with the heavy rain I knew that was not going to be possible.

We had been at Disney for only a few hours and I was already having a revelation: forget about your "plans", listen to Crush and just "go with the floooooooooooooow".

I have to admit I really enjoyed approaching our time in the parks in a more "organic" way. I guess it is something that comes as you become a more experienced Disney traveller.

Also, for the rest of this TR I will refrain from telling you about the bathroom breaks because among the different needs of all the adults and the kids I am pretty sure we had a break before and after almost every attraction we visited.

It is no joke.

So we all put our ponchos back on and headed to Future World. First stop? Character Spot.

The Florida weather was already showing its effects on her hair. Love it!

Now I don't know about you but no matter what time of the day I try to visit the Character Spot I always end up waiting minimum half an hour. I have been there in the middle of the day, first thing in the morning and right before closing time, it is never a short wait.

Thank goodness for the old cartoons to keep us entertained.

Now, my friends, THIS SMILE is the reason why we love Disney so much:

All worth it.

We also got to take pictures with Chip & Dale at the exit of Character Spot but all the pictures have all the kids posing together so I will keep their privacy and not post them here.

Then it was ponchos back on and we moved our gang to The Living Seas pavillon. No pictures outside with the seagulls and other characters from the movies this time.

Too. Much. Rain.

We then rode the Nemo clams and also saw the Turtle Talk with Crush. Our friends were pretty impressed with both rides. It was their first experience in a "Disney attraction" and they were loving all the attention to details. I told them about the Coral Reef restaurant and they were already taking notes for their "next time". It was cute.

Because of the rain I was in no rush to go back outside so we *really* took our time to explore the pavillon thoroughly examining all the fishing tanks.

Just keep swimming Dori!

Beatriz is still very much afraid of Bruce. I am not sure *this* was the best way to make her get over it:

So finally we decided to move to The Land pavillon and wouldn't you know the rain had stopped!! I guess that is Florida for you.

We checked out Sorin' and the waiting time was "only" half an hour but we would have to use a swap pass because of J. (the 3 year old boy) and that would end up splitting the group so we decided against it.

Instead we rode "Living with the Land". We haven't been in that one since 2009 so it was a good refresher. Beatriz *loved* it. She calls it the "nature ride" and she still refers to it as one of her favorites.

As we left the "nature boat" the delicious smells coming from the Sunshine Seasons kitchens opened our apetite and, just like that, we were ready to eat again.

Super time!

Joey and I both had the mongolian beef with rice and the strawberry shortcake for dessert. Beatriz had the chicken legs, milk and apple sauce.

She devoured her meal!

This was the first time we felt that the dining plan was not a "waste of money" on her.

Last year I thought the portions were way too big for a 3 year old and we would have been fine simply sharing our own meals with her. But this time she was able to finish practically all her quick service meals and she gave it a fair shot on her table service meals too.

Once we were done eating we headed to Mouse Gears. My friend A. wanted to buy a Rapunzel costume for M. (the 6 year old girl) to wear at the Cinderella Royal Table at the end of the week.

We are not big on shopping at Disney but I have to admit we had a good time browsing around at Mouse Gears. We had already warned Beatriz that not every time M. and J. were going to get a gift from their parents the same would happen to her.

She is SO GOOD my little girl.She was content looking around, never asked for anything and was happy for her little friend getting her dress. She knows she always gets a reward at the end of the trip. J. got a spinning Buzz and he was pretty happy with that too.

So by now it was probably around 8h20 and we were talking about leaving back to the hotel when I realized they WERE having Illuminations that night after all.

For a while I thought they would cancel it because of the rain from earlier and the impending arrival of Isaac but it was on so I suggested we stay and "get it out of the way" early on the trip.

Everybody agreed so we did.

Illuminations was awesome as usual and was the perfect way to end our first day.

All three kids fell asleep in the bus ride back to the hotel. We still hang out at Sassagoula Floatworks for another half an hour or so. We redeemed the rest of our refillable mugs, had some hot tea and made plans for the following day.

The forecast was announcing 100% chance of heavy rain all day the next day so we agreed on no wake up call and play it by ear from then on.

Back to our room we found our luggage had arrived so we unpacked, took showers and called it a night.

******************end of day 1*******************

Next up:
It is Isaac day!

Last edited by Queila; 11-11-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #39
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

I can't believe I forgot to comment on your previous update. Those Zeppole look so yummy. I am for sure trying them this trip. And I may or may not drink the chocolate syrup as well.

I went to character spot first thing in the morning after rope drop and waited about 15 minutes.

I'm glad your friends were already really enjoying their trip, despite the rain.

You have raised your daughter well, not asking for stuff from the gift shop despite her friends getting souvenirs.

@ the Bruce picture.
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #40
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Loved your two updates!

Your comment about the bathroom stops cracked me up. I experienced something very similar on the class trip in June, prompting me to text my husband "I can't manage 20 bladders". And this was a group of adults and teenagers!

Sounds like a good call to have lunch when you did. Everything looked AMAZING!!! I hear mostly raves about Via and especially the zeppole. Can't blame a person for slurping down the chocolate!

What a great start with the Seas Pavillion and then Living with the Land. The pictures you took of the fish tank came out great. Nice picture of you and Bruce, too!

The pictures in the character spot were precious. The joy on Beatriz' face is priceless! I love that Mickey got down to her level for that shot. Very cute picture of Bea and Minnie showing their slips together.

I love the food at Sunshine Seasons- there is so much yummy stuff to choose from, but I think the strawberry shortcake is the very best thing of all!

Boo on all of the rain!

on sticking around for Illuminations.
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #41
JAMIESMITH
DIS Veteran

Sunshine Seasons looks yummy!

Disney's Boardwalk Villas January 2015 Desperate For More Disney Magic

JAMIESMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #42
emma212010
DIS Veteran

What a wonderful meal! I really want to try Via Napolli because the pizza looks amazing!!

Beatriz is so adorable at those character meets! My favorite is the one with Minnie where they are both posing together! It's so cute!!!

I do love the Land too! Sunshine Seasons is yummy, but I've only ever eaten breakfast there- never lunch or dinner. Your meals looked yummy, though! I've heard great things about that strawberry shortcake! Yum!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
emma212010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #43
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I'm here!!!!

SO GLAD Isaac didn't delay your trip! And I sure hope your day of rain turned into a fun memory maker.

B is so stinkin' cute, every TR you do she gets cuter!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #44
Queila
DIS Veteran

I know I have said my TR's are usually slow moving but I have to admit I have brought it to a whole new level this time.

Sorry about that.

As usual, lots happening.

We took our trip to New York, Joey and I celebrated our wedding anniversary, I got an injury in my neck that got me out of commission for a couple of weeks and we re started our fertility treatments. Between fertility appointments, chiropractor, psychotherapy, weight watchers, Bea's dance classes, work, church etc. etc. my beloved TR just fell between the tracks. Hopefully I will get it going again.

We did get to see Mary Poppins on Broadway and it was a major highlight of our trip! I highly recommend it to anyone visiting the Big Apple. Beatriz loved every minute of it and at the end of every act she would ask me "is it finished?" quite panicked.

Joey and I had seen the Lion King in Toronto years ago (pre Beatriz) but we said next time we go back to NYC we will take her to see that.

We also got our Disney fix at the Disney stores along the way. Beatriz got to chose a new doll:

And I even got to see José Carioca:

All in all we loved our trip and it gave me the itch to start planning another trip to WDW. I have friends at WDW right now and I am enjoying vicariously through them but Joey and I already started throwing some ideas out there for next Summer.

We will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
I can't believe I forgot to comment on your previous update. Those Zeppole look so yummy. I am for sure trying them this trip. And I may or may not drink the chocolate syrup as well.

I went to character spot first thing in the morning after rope drop and waited about 15 minutes.

I'm glad your friends were already really enjoying their trip, despite the rain.

You have raised your daughter well, not asking for stuff from the gift shop despite her friends getting souvenirs.

@ the Bruce picture.
I was not aware you have a Disney trip on the horizon. Good for you! You will have a blast looking at it through Claudia's eyes. Are you planning to eat at Via Napoli? Do you have a PTR? I am curious about your plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Loved your two updates!

Your comment about the bathroom stops cracked me up. I experienced something very similar on the class trip in June, prompting me to text my husband "I can't manage 20 bladders". And this was a group of adults and teenagers!

Sounds like a good call to have lunch when you did. Everything looked AMAZING!!! I hear mostly raves about Via and especially the zeppole. Can't blame a person for slurping down the chocolate!

What a great start with the Seas Pavillion and then Living with the Land. The pictures you took of the fish tank came out great. Nice picture of you and Bruce, too!

The pictures in the character spot were precious. The joy on Beatriz' face is priceless! I love that Mickey got down to her level for that shot. Very cute picture of Bea and Minnie showing their slips together.

I love the food at Sunshine Seasons- there is so much yummy stuff to choose from, but I think the strawberry shortcake is the very best thing of all!

Boo on all of the rain!

on sticking around for Illuminations.
Hey Dee! The strawberry shortcake does not disappoint. I could have one right now actually.

We always make a point to visit Character Spot. We always end up with some awesome shots and I think it will be fun to look back on those in the future.

Quote:
Sunshine Seasons looks yummy!
It is!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
What a wonderful meal! I really want to try Via Napolli because the pizza looks amazing!!

Beatriz is so adorable at those character meets! My favorite is the one with Minnie where they are both posing together! It's so cute!!!

I do love the Land too! Sunshine Seasons is yummy, but I've only ever eaten breakfast there- never lunch or dinner. Your meals looked yummy, though! I've heard great things about that strawberry shortcake! Yum!
You should try Sunshine Seasons for lunch or super next time. Everything smells and tastes delicious in there. Later in the trip my husband had a cinnamon roll for breakfast from SS's that was amazing too,

Via Napoli was really stellar! I have been recommending it to every one I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
I'm here!!!!

SO GLAD Isaac didn't delay your trip! And I sure hope your day of rain turned into a fun memory maker.

B is so stinkin' cute, every TR you do she gets cuter!
Thanks Brooke! So glad you are here. They day Bea and Henry should meet up! They would make a cute duo.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:13 AM   #45
Queila
DIS Veteran

Day 2- Monday- Aug. 27th, 2012- Isaac Day

The forecast for that day said 100% chance of heavy rain all day long. So the plan was to sleep in, stay in the hotel and re evaluate our options as the day went along.

We "slept in" until about 8h30. I finished unpacking and watched some TV. At around 9h30 we rang the room of our friends to see if they wanted to go down to eat but they were still sleeping and we woke them up.

Wooops.

So the three of us took our umbrellas and walked to Sassagoula Floatworks (POFQ food court) for some breakfast and... that place was happening.

Lots of guests just hanging out at the lobby, filling and refilling their mugs at the drinks station, eating, kids running around and a very high concentration of dripping umbrellas and rain coats everywhere. You get the picture.

So we just waited for a table to become vacant and we sat down for our first breakfast of the trip.

Joey and I had bagels with cream cheese and Beatriz had toasts with butter. I think that early on the trip I was still trying to count weight watchers points of my meals.

We also kept Beatriz distracted by playing some games in the phone but she was starting to grow impatient and asking when we were going to the parks.

I have to say that the CM's at POFQ did an excellent job keeping their smiles even though they were obviously overworking at that point. I bet deep inside they just wanted the sun to come out so we could all go to the parks already!!!

As we were leaving the food court our friends arrived to have their breakfast. I would say it was probably about 11 am by then. The rain was still going strong!

While they ate we set out to explore the gift shop and wonder around the lobby ourselves. Beatriz made some friends at the coloring table and I stroke a conversation with a family from NY state that was waiting for their Magical Express to take them to the airport. I was so happy our trip was just getting started. Rain and all.

When our friends finished eating we all met up at the lobby and sat at one of the cute benches by the fountain to talk about our options. We thought maybe we could just grab a taxi to the outlets or to the mall.

Might as well do some shopping we reasoned...

The guys talked to the concierge and asked if it was possible to request a taxi large enough to fit all of us and he said it was doable.

So we said let's go back to our rooms to change, use the bathroom, brush our teeth, grab our wallets and meet back at the lobby in 20 minutes.

On our way to our room something spetacular happened: the rain stopped and the sun came out.

Just. Like. That.

Back in the room the Disney park addict that I am told Joey "we could still go to a park, you know?" I thought he was going to disagree but wouldn't you know...he wanted to give it a try.

So when we got back to the lobby we told our friends that if they absolutely wanted to go shopping and were afraid of getting soaked at the park we would understand and keep our plans and go with them but we believed the storm was over and we would like to take the risk and go to the park.

They wanted to try the park.

We walked straight to the bus stop and before you know it we were here:

First glimpse of the castle:

We made it!!!!!!

It was *really* nice to see the joy of my friends and their kids at their first walk down Main Street too. What a moment to remember!

A lot of other guests were starting to arrive at the same time as us and the CM's were working hard wiping the benches and the floors and my confidence that the weather was going to cooperate started to grow.

*Someone* is happy:

And someone else is happy too!

Next up:
Making the best out of our afternoon at Magic Kingdom

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: