Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Jotash
Mouseketeer

Adults in the Park

I wanted to comment on the discussion on the podcast this week regarding parades. I could not agree with Kathy more about the fact that adults would like to see the parade too! I am not quite five feet tall so I stake out my spot early to see a parade.

I remember a couple years ago I was at MK by myself and I saw a little girl, about six or seven, having trouble seeing Spectromagic, my favorite parade. I made an offer to let the girl stand in front of me and THE WHOLE FAMILY - mom, dad, older brother, and the girl - got in front of me. I know they didn't want to be separated from their daughter, but they were large enough to see the parade and her from where they were already standing. Even if one parent had gone with her and knelt down it wouldn't have been as bad. I wasn't sure what to do, so I spent the rest of the parade not being able to see over the family. It's made me less likely to be that nice again, but at the same time I feel for the child because I'm not much bigger than they are.

The same also applies to characters. I don't know how many times I have had families walk right in front of me because I was by myself with no child after I had waited in line as long as they had. I'm not usually a confrontational type if it's just me, so I usually let it go. If my son is with me - well, that's another story for another time.

How would you have handled the parade situation? I am planning a solo trip in March and Kathy's comment got me thinking about this.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

This happens to us often- and not just at disney.
We enjoy parades and will get there early for a good spot.
Invariably people come at the last minute and for some reason assume it's ok to go in front of us.

We usually say something but every now and then it's a family that's too scary looking to argue with.

A few years back we staked out a great spot for the parade at MK.
Just as the parade started a woman came up in a wheelchair and she and the person pushing her asked if they could go in front of us.
So of course we said yes right away.
And then her entire family joined her.
No little kids.
All adults.
Big scary looking guys wearing wife beater shirts.
Not to stereotype, but there was no way we were going to say a word to them.
There were 7 or 8 of them so we just walked away.

Because of this and many other incidents we often give up on seeing the parades at all.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Last edited by disneyholic family; 09-16-2012 at 07:31 AM.
disneyholic family is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Jotash
Mouseketeer

I reread my post and realized I sounded like a major whiner. I have to say, experiences like the ones I mentioned are the exception, not the rule. But is there is a nice way to say, "Excuse me, I only made the offer to your daughter, not to the whole family. I'm little too!" The family was very appreciative, but at the same time I was then stuck with little view except for the very tops of the floats and regretting being nice in the first place.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #4
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotash View Post
I reread my post and realized I sounded like a major whiner. I have to say, experiences like the ones I mentioned are the exception, not the rule. But is there is a nice way to say, "Excuse me, I only made the offer to your daughter, not to the whole family. I'm little too!" The family was very appreciative, but at the same time I was then stuck with little view except for the very tops of the floats and regretting being nice in the first place.
I think what you wrote there is a totally appropriate reaction. Or just, "Excuse me, but I'd like to be able to see the parade, too. I made the offer to your daughter because she's little like me."

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I think what you wrote there is a totally appropriate reaction. Or just, "Excuse me, but I'd like to be able to see the parade, too. I made the offer to your daughter because she's little like me."

Sayhello
the people who tend to do things like this typically aren't all that reasonable.

They seem to have the view that the world revolves around them, and the rest of us are just there as annoyances or to be walked on or something.

Considerate people wouldn't think of doing it to begin with.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
LionKingRules84
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
the people who tend to do things like this typically aren't all that reasonable.

They seem to have the view that the world revolves around them, and the rest of us are just there as annoyances or to be walked on or something.

Considerate people wouldn't think of doing it to begin with.
You hit the nail on the head here. I tend to think that people feel this way especially while on vacation and in turn their true colors come out. What's odd is like most here I'm actually nicer while on vacation than at home and if someone takes advantage of it I'm less likely to let it get to me but if it happens often less likely to let it happen again.

I also remember from my vacation in '07 the people during the daytime parades tended to be nicer than those at the night time parades. Spectromagic I encountered my only rude family but thankfully since it seemed like it would rain most fled while we stayed put thus keeping our spot. I'm also good at when people 'casually' get in front of me being short also I will 'casually' get back in front and hardly ever encounter a problem doing that even with the supposedly scary guests.

I actually had a couple with two boys let them in front of us during the daytime MK parade. They didn't join the kids but the kids were acting up being separated from their parents but the parents basically said something to the effect of 'These people are being nice so you can see the parade, behave!' After the parade started they calmed a bit but eventually went behind us at one point with their parents. the parents were very thankful and even apologetic for their children's behavior. This is mostly to show not everyone is inconsiderate or not thankful. It's just sad that the inconsiderate ones are the ones we remember most of the time.

CR 1986
CBR October 1991
CBR October 1994
CSR September 2007 13 years is much too long trip report!
DIS Unplugged Exclusive Knights and Lights ABD October 2012
Swan August 2013 & DIS Cruise 1.0 on RCCL Oasis
LionKingRules84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Yes! That parade is for us, too! We took my 81-year-old mother to Disneyland this summer. She used and ECV. We staked out an area behind the people sitting on the curb on Main Street in the shade. It was perfect. My mother, with her "1st Visit" button got a ton of attention, much to the amusement of those around us.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
smcabee
Boomer Sooner

I always tell folks that their children are always welcome to stand in front of me but that I have been in this spot for x amount of time and the offer only applies to their children.
smcabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: