Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

New Al Lutz Today FYI

Hi All:

Since DLR and especially DCA has been in building mode for the last 4-5 years, I have summarized Al Lutz articles and provided links which generally covered a lot of rumors about how the construction was progressing and what was changing.

Now that we are past that hump I just don't feel like keeping it up. His articles and the fact that I posted links has provided lots of discussion and in some cases disagreement, but regardless I still think his rumors are fun to consider. I have never cared for his snide criticisms and even cynicism, but I have generally liked hearing his rumors.

So, with that, just wanted you to know I am laying down the torch of summarizing Al and unless I see a reason to pick up again in the future, I plan to let it go.

DLR 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
Mommy2PrincessAbby
DIS Veteran

Thanks for doing it in the past! But its a lot of work, so I understand not wanting to continue!

Walt's Park:Two trips as a kid, stayed off-site. Oct '07, 4 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. May '08, 5 days "girls only trip" @ GCH dm, dd & I. May '09, 6 days @ DLH, dh, dd & I. October '10, 5 day trip, dd and I @ PPH. And 6 days at PPH--December 5-10, 2012 for all 3 of us!

OMG--dare I say it? We are going to attempt to go to the World!! Split Stay! CSR May 6-10 and AKL Savannah View May 10-13, 2014 (with a dash of the Darkside thrown in for good measure the 13th & 14th.)
Mommy2PrincessAbby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

I've appreciated your summaries in the past but totally understand dropping it. Personally, I think he is hilarious but I have a sarcastic sense of humor.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Thank you, Trey, for your continued efforts over the years. I will be sad to not see your Lutz summaries anymore, and yet I understand why you want to stop doing them. They have, indeed, inspired a lot of interesting discussions and speculation of 'what could be.' Plus, quite frankly, often times it just saved me the trouble of having to go over to MiceAge and look up his articles because the link and the bullet points were right here!

Even if someone else eventually picks up the Lutz torch and carries it, I'm not sure that anyone could do quite as effective of a job of reading, pulling the highlights, summarizing, writing up the disclaimers about Al not being an employee of Disney, etc.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Thank you, Trey, for your continued efforts over the years. I will be sad to not see your Lutz summaries anymore, and yet I understand why you want to stop doing them. They have, indeed, inspired a lot of interesting discussions and speculation of 'what could be.' Plus, quite frankly, often times it just saved me the trouble of having to go over to MiceAge and look up his articles because the link and the bullet points were right here!

Even if someone else eventually picks up the Lutz torch and carries it, I'm not sure that anyone could do quite as effective of a job of reading, pulling the highlights, summarizing, writing up the disclaimers about Al not being an employee of Disney, etc.
Ditto ~
Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

OK, here's my attempt at a summary. I'm no Hydroguy, but I'm willing to take one for the team

- DCA shot right past the projection of 7M visitors per year, with the help of CarsLand, and is now on track to hit 9M or even 10M. This is well past all hopes and dreams of the TDA execs.

- BTMRR rehab delayed because Indy needed more work than originally thought. Now BTMRR is scheduled to go down on Jan 14 2013, and to be down most of the year.

- Acknowledged that DCA does Christmas-lite but plan to do the full Christmas treatment for CarsLand and Buena Vista Street.

- CarsLand FP distribution to stay at BugsLand. Original CL FP distribution area to become retail expansion of Ramone's.

- Major problems with dubious GAC passes being used to bypass FP at RSR. The reason FPs run out so quickly for RSR is that they can only distribute 1/3 as many as planned, since GACs are being effectively used as FPs.

- Problem with dubious GACs affects plans to go to NextGen, a la WDW. NextGen planning was scheduled for 18 months behind WDW, including enforcing FP times.

- Plans to build a themed alley behind the east side of Main Street to alleviate congestion

- Much dissatisfaction with cancelling DLR employee Christmas party.

Enjoy!
Bob
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:

Yes, well said Sherry! Thanks HydroGuy!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
OK, here's my attempt at a summary. I'm no Hydroguy, but I'm willing to take one for the team

- DCA shot right past the projection of 7M visitors per year, with the help of CarsLand, and is now on track to hit 9M or even 10M. This is well past all hopes and dreams of the TDA execs.

- BTMRR rehab delayed because Indy needed more work than originally thought. Now BTMRR is scheduled to go down on Jan 14 2013, and to be down most of the year.

- Acknowledged that DCA does Christmas-lite but plan to do the full Christmas treatment for CarsLand and Buena Vista Street.

- CarsLand FP distribution to stay at BugsLand. Original CL FP distribution area to become retail expansion of Ramone's.

- Major problems with dubious GAC passes being used to bypass FP at RSR. The reason FPs run out so quickly for RSR is that they can only distribute 1/3 as many as planned, since GACs are being effectively used as FPs.

- Problem with dubious GACs affects plans to go to NextGen, a la WDW. NextGen planning was scheduled for 18 months behind WDW, including enforcing FP times.

- Plans to build a themed alley behind the east side of Main Street to alleviate congestion

- Much dissatisfaction with cancelling DLR employee Christmas party.

Enjoy!
Bob
Been wondering about BTMRR. I hope this is accurate. Thanks Bob!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2342117
deejdigsdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Thank you, Bob!

I'm shocked that they are not giving the CM's a party this year.

Not only has DCA been doing Christmas lite but they have been doing Halloween extra, extra-lite, and this madness must end!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Old 09-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
Here4mydisneyfix
Andrew Sutton, you genious man, you! She will remember the Rose forever...

Thanks so much for your efforts in the past, it was really appreciated! I too don't really enjoy Al's snide comments, etc., but the insider info and rumors are interesting reads!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #11
Jaina
Actually, my name is Sara. It's a long story...

I'm so sad to find out that BTMRR is going down early next year! We are hoping to take a trip, and it's one "mountain" my little kids might actually enjoy! But thanks for the summary - better to find out things like that now rather than a week or two before...

Disneyland fanatic,(that would be me) wonderful DH, DS (6) and DD1 (5) and DD2 (2.5)!
Disney Trips:
5/86-3 years old-the first one!, 5/89, 5/91, 5/93, 6/95, 5/97, 7/98 (WDW! FBLA Nationals-WDW Dolphin), 5/99, 3/00-Senior Trip, 6/01-first time to DCA too, 7/03, 3/05(double family trip when we were engaged), 12/05 (with girlfriends), 3/06 with DH (8 wks pregnant...), 6/09 with DH, 2/13: 1st trip with our kids! (Trip report, including Pre-trip))
Jaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:29 PM   #12
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Two more very, very interesting quotes from Al Lutz's article today:

Quote:
...more AP price increases are coming this winter...

Quote:
Much like they’ve done with Halloween, the long term goal for 2013, or ’14 at the very latest, is to turn that menu of Christmas offerings into an extra-cost private party held after park hours. Going the way of Disney World’s Very Merry Christmas Party, Disneyland would bundle the existing Christmas Fantasy Parade and Believe In Holiday Magic fireworks with a performance of the Candlelight Ceremony into one big evening of entertainment.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
hurleysweety
DISPrincess in Training
Makes a mean Monte Cristo

Am I crazy, or did I read that AP prices are gonna go up again this winter??!

And thanks, HyrdoGuy, for all your efforts to help everyone on here - from seasoned veterans to confused and overwhelmed newbies! We totally understand you "laying down the torch" and for all your summaries regarding the DCA construction/rumor mill process!
Past Trips: WDW: Feb 1997 BWI, June 2008 *Honeymoon!*, May 2010 OKW & POR *2-year anniversary*, May 2011 OKW/BWV *3-year anniversary*, October 2011 VWL & POP DLR: 1994, Thanksgiving 2003 Portofino Suites, Oct. 2004, Oct. 2005, Nov. 2006 Carousel Inn, May 2007 Fairfield Inn, May 2009 DH Bday Trip Marriott Suites Anaheim, May 2009 *1-year anniversary*, GCH Suite, June 2009 Worldmark, Sept 2009 PPH, December 2009 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, April 2010 Holiday Inn Anaheim Resort, January 2011 Staybridge, September 2011 Red Lion, June 2012 Hilton Anaheim *4-year anniversary (celebrated late), Oct 2012 Ayres Anaheim, May 2013 GCH *5-year anniversary*, Sept 2013 Red Lion, Nov 2013 (1 Day Trip) Red Lion, Dec 2013 *Club 33* Castle Inn
DCL:October 2013 - HalloWonder (Halloween) Cruise - Wonder 7 Night Bahamas from Galveston
hurleysweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #14
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleysweety View Post
Am I crazy, or did I read that AP prices are gonna go up again this winter??!
I think Disney's philosophy on this seems to be whatever the market will bear. Back in July, David Koenig over on MousePlanet said that it was rumored that Disney was looking at the possibility of raising ticket prices again as soon as this Christmas season and again before next summer. So the rumblings are out there. It's not that surprising really. As long as attendance continues to increase despite increased prices, from a business perspective, Disney may as well keep testing how much higher they can go. I am curious what the tipping point will be. I wonder how high they will be able to raise the prices before attendance plateaus. I know it won't be much longer though before my family is priced out, at least out of doing Disney the way we have been for the last few years. Oh well, we've already started expanding our horizons anyway.
longtimedisneylurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Quote:
Thank you, Bob!
You're quite welcome!

Quote:
Two more very, very interesting quotes from Al Lutz's article today:
You're right! Those are two more salient points that I should have included in a summary, and skipped right over. Oh well, I said I wasn't Hydroguy!

-Bob
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: