Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #61
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercydisney View Post
I would think because it is for a Hunger Game audience they would have an early time slot, 10pm is killing me.
And the time slot that NBC put it in is going to be a killer for them to win. At 10 p.m., they are going to be going up against Castle on ABC and Hawaii Five-O on CBS. Both have huge followings. We watch both, dvring one and watching the other. That is it for that time slot. If we give it a whirl, it'll be on demand.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #62
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I enjoyed it, but I don't mind a post-apocalyptic story that doesn't get too deep into the "whys" of the end of the world. I do think the time slot is very unfortunate. As others have mentioned it feels like it is going for a "Hunger Games" demographic but it is on too late for either of my middle schoolers to stay up for so we've added it to our DVR lineup.

I'm sure it'll be killed after a season or two. Ambitious scripted television always seems to be... After all, why waste money on writers and actors and sets when you have an endless supply of idiots looking for their 15min of fame on the reality show du jour?

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #63
apirateslifeforme
The Next Mrs. Simon LeBon
On a serious note, I have to agree with the pantyhose and buttfloss
Rare. Bloody rare. Still mooing

I noted the clothing thing myself. Also, it looked like the scenes of the cities "after" were taken directly from Life After People that was on the History Channel a few years ago.

The one question DH and I spoke aloud was to wonder why the father and his brother didn't seem to have aged in 15 years. Or at least, not 15 years worth, in our opinions.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #64
swissfamilyrobinson
Mouseketeer

We loved it!

My husband and I both loved the premiere of Revolution. It reminded us of the Terri Blackstock "Restoration" series and we both loved those books! Can't wait to see what happens next week.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #65
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Watched 40 minutes of it or so while running this morning - I'll have to watch it again for dialogue, but I think I got the basic idea. And yeah, I'm going to have to not think about things. A lot.

Lots of things seemed to have withstood the elements incredibly well after 15 years, without any loss of strength or integrity. And, apparently some medicines still work just fine. And the weapons are problematic. And the clothes.

I want to like it, I really do. But 15 years is a loong time. I think they just arbitrarily picked a year, and didn't think much more about it.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.

Last edited by SAHDad; 09-19-2012 at 07:45 PM.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #66
ICF
DIS Veteran

Liked it....although given that fact, and the topic it deals with -- I'd be shocked if it's still on the air next September.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #67
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill4023 View Post
Outstanding book.

But the cause in Revolution is definitely not an EMP. If it was, people would still be driving old cars and there would still be electricity, just no modern electronics.
Remember, this is a JJ Abrams production. It's not like everyone complained about the impossible things that happened in Lost. I think we need to accept that they aren't going for anything scientifically plausible.

I was pretty disappointed. It was boring, had a lame script, bad actors, and predictable plot lines. Actually, my biggest disappointment was that they skipped the time right after the event. That would have been far more exciting. But I'll give it a chance and continue to watch, at least for now, to see if it gets any good.
Maybe they will do flash backs to the 15 years gap, sort of like Lost? I'm giving it a chance, but like everyone else, I seem to enjoy shows and then they go POOF!
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #68
GRUMPY PIRATE
First rule, always!!

One of my habits I picked up in high school and continued was that I became an avid reader of science fiction.

I remember reading collections of short stories in SciFi in the 70's, and there were several stories that could be adapted to that show.

the one I remember was about a society that was highly dependent on electronic devices (no one could do simple math and needed a calculator, for an example)

Of course they were at war, but had developed a 'dampening field" device that would disrupt electron flow in electricity, so they could stop the enemy in their tracks. only problem was it would shut off their stuff too! the gist of that story was that they had to find the smartest scientest to "reinvent" mathmatics without a calculator. (this story was written before the concept of a home computer or memory storage, etc.)

I can see this series using that concept. and the little usb/power button device can counteract the field and allow electronics to work.
GRUMPY PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #69
muffyn
"hmmm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICF View Post
Liked it....although given that fact, and the topic it deals with -- I'd be shocked if it's still on the air next September.

oh now..
don't ya know NOTHING will be on?

the world ends this december.......
muffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #70
BDL
DIS Veteran

Last night's episode was awesome. The twists and turns... The getting to know Gen. Monroe a little better... More butt kicking from uncle Miles... And the the oh so complex character played by Emmy nominee Giancarlo Esposito, who is quickly taking over the show.

The 1 thing I wish they'd cut down on is Charlie going from wanna be bada** to My Super Sweet 16 girl in 4.7 seconds.

But I do like how they are expanding the # characters.

And the preview for next week looks good.

BDL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #71
KerriSue
Poo Watching cheered up my day!

Last nights episode was far better than the first. A little more back story was nice. I did enjoy the little twists. My DD and I think that Charlie is so irritating. She is a cross between Carl, from Walking Dead, and Walt, from Lost we can't stop yelling at her.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #72
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

I'm in for about 5 episodes... if the girl doesn't change from hyper-whiny-annoying by then, I give up. I swear I want to smack her in the face with a rock everytime she opens her mouth, she's that annoying.

And the "young budding love" between her character and the rogue militia guy with the bow is just sickeningly stupid, it's as awful as the Twilight crap.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #73
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
The 1 thing I wish they'd cut down on is Charlie going from wanna be bada** to My Super Sweet 16 girl in 4.7 seconds.
Gee, and to me, that might be the most realistic part of the show! I had one of those in my house!

I'm waiting for them to explain why coal doesn't work any more. Or wood stoves, or pellets, or whatever. Not just electricity.

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #74
GRUMPY PIRATE
First rule, always!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
Gee, and to me, that might be the most realistic part of the show! I had one of those in my house!

I'm waiting for them to explain why coal doesn't work any more. Or wood stoves, or pellets, or whatever. Not just electricity.
SPACE ALIENS?

with a 'power ray" set to reverse?
GRUMPY PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #75
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by furb & dez View Post
I'm in for about 5 episodes... if the girl doesn't change from hyper-whiny-annoying by then, I give up. I swear I want to smack her in the face with a rock everytime she opens her mouth, she's that annoying.

And the "young budding love" between her character and the rogue militia guy with the bow is just sickeningly stupid, it's as awful as the Twilight crap.
I think that relationship is going to serve a very important function in the long run... His back-story, whatever it is, is going to be the primary explanation we get of how normal, sane, presumably generally good people would accept Monroe as a leader and agree to serve him. That's an important element of plausibility in any story that centers around a brutal, dictatorial leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
I got the impression that it was just electricity. Clearly they're heating with something... wood stoves or pellets or whatever. Otherwise there wouldn't be communities as far north as Chicago.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: