Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #31
starann
In having children, I have lost my mind, but found my soul

I watched it, but it will likely be on the chopping block...I also like Jericho, Flash Forward, Alcatraz, Persons Unknown...I could keep going. I hate when they suck you in, then bam, nothing else. Hoping this one goes a bit longer than the others!
Cody 12-19-03 and Shane 2-23-05
Casey 5-13-11
and last..........
Our little 'Souvenir' who arrived 6 weeks early, Josephine 4-24-14

You Brought WHAT Home From WDW?!?!?!?! A Setp 2013 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post49731870
starann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #32
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

I recorded it, but haven't watched it. The geek in me is already (just from the commercials) wondering why they don't make power. If I can turn off the geek part of my brain, I might enjoy it.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #33
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
I recorded it, but haven't watched it. The geek in me is already (just from the commercials) wondering why they don't make power. If I can turn off the geek part of my brain, I might enjoy it.
My husband (who is a geek) says that they said the laws of physics had changed. He is guessing that the explanation will have something to do with the Earths core and electo magnetism. (or something...it was a loooong explanation and half my brain was wandering) He said that with out the electro magnetic pulse (or something) it would be impossible to create electricity.

They could still have steam engines though.
monkeybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #34
czycropper
DIS Veteran

I watched and liked some of it. The other thing that just doesn't make sense is the fact that all the cars stopped - unless I'm missing something that couldn't happen until they ran out of gas - same with the airplanes.

I will keep watching just to see where they go before it gets canceled!

I loved Terra Nova but I guess most of the US is interested in Honey Boo Boo or other reality shows than shows that keep you guessing

1972 - 1975 - Offsite; 1976 - Contemporary; 1977-1988 - Off site; 1992 - POR/Swan; 2004 - Poly Concierge; 2005 - off site; 2008 - 6/22-6/26 @CBR for dance with Disney Magical Music Days
2009 - 5/22-27 - quick trip to Discovery Cove & Busch Gardens
2011 - WWoHP

Non-Orlando trips
2006 - Colorado
2007 - Caribbean
2010 - Galapagos
2012 - Cedar Point/Holiday World/Hershey Park/Great Adventure/Dorney Park - aka "The Great Roller Coaster Vacation"
2013 - England & France
czycropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #35
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by czycropper View Post
I watched and liked some of it. The other thing that just doesn't make sense is the fact that all the cars stopped - unless I'm missing something that couldn't happen until they ran out of gas - same with the airplanes.

I will keep watching just to see where they go before it gets canceled!

I loved Terra Nova but I guess most of the US is interested in Honey Boo Boo or other reality shows than shows that keep you guessing
My husband told me that even the most basic car engine requires electricity to make the spark that ignites the engine, so if the laws of physics had changed, and there was no electricity then the car wouldn't work.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #36
Ephany
DIS Veteran

Wasn't overwhelmed by it, but we'll give it a few more episodes. Reminded me of S.M. Stirling's 'Change' book series and Jericho. I really wish Terra Nova had been renewed, but I'm used to series I like being canceled.
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #37
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Well I just looked it up and Eric Kripke (Supernatural) is the creator. So NOW I am going to have to watch to see if it gets better.

It is hard to fight the geek in me. If the earth's magnetic pulse was "off" wouldn't you think that we would be bombarded with asteroids? Just a thought from watching too much "How the Universe Works".

AND you can get power from solar, water, fire, coal, gas, steam, thermal, HUMAN energy (example as a grandfather clock or a wind up radio), etc......
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #38
GRUMPY PIRATE
First rule, always!!

The only thing I can think of is a worlwide EMP, which would fry the electronics, and you wouldn't be able to power them up. and it would stop the cars that rely on electronic ignition etc.
GRUMPY PIRATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #39
monkeybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY PIRATE View Post
The only thing I can think of is a worlwide EMP, which would fry the electronics, and you wouldn't be able to power them up. and it would stop the cars that rely on electronic ignition etc.
Yes, that EMP thing is what my husband mentioned.

I was telling him that what bothered me about the show was that they had lots of energy sources so why didn't they just make electricity? And that's when he told me that in the show they said the "laws of physics as we know them have changed" and the ways they could do that was to stop the Earths core from spinning or that EMP thing.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #40
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY PIRATE View Post
That's what I was assuming as well. Obviously with a show like this, some suspension of disbelief will be necessary and we can't assume it will follow the rules of the real world. I just hope they do a good job of sticking to whatever rules they come up with for that world. I read an article over the summer where one of the creators or writers was saying that there will be an explanation for the outage and that a physicist talked with them about it and said it was plausible, given all the framework they explained for the world of the show. Hopefully the show will last long enough for us to find out what it is!

As for why they aren't creating power, my thought was that maybe one (or more) of the republics was hoarding the stuff they would need to build the things like that.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #41
mercydisney
Is it on sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
My nearly 13 year old DD LOVED it....and I think the Hunger Games audience is definitely the target for this show. I thought it was ridiculously predictable, and absurdly "out there" in terms of what would happen. Planes falling out of the sky when the lights go out?!?! Really? LOL!

Given CMEs (Coronal Mass Ejections), it is possible that a direct hit of sufficient magnitude would shut down the grid for quite some time, BUT there is no known phenomena that would result in the simultaneous shutting down of all vehicles (no explanation why this would happen). The science part of me was rolling my eyes at the absurdity of it all.

But, as I say, it is definitely a "must watch" for DD.

I would think because it is for a Hunger Game audience they would have an early time slot, 10pm is killing me.
mercydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #42
3 MEN AND A BOAT
DIS Veteran

I liked, it hoping it stays around. They need to do some explaining in regards to why their are no steam or diesel engines. And why did the one lady's laptop work, I guess it could have something to do with the funny looking chip.
3 MEN AND A BOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #43
tabby1881
Mouseketeer

I'm going to try Revolution, but I agree with pps who have said that they don't like investing in a show just to have it be too convoluted to follow, or the show just disappears. I can't even remember some of the shows that I've tried. I tried V, The Event, Alcatraz, etc. The one that I can't recall was the show where the entire world blacked out for a short period of time? What was that show? I just lost track of it!
tabby1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #44
Ephany
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabby1881 View Post
I'm going to try Revolution, but I agree with pps who have said that they don't like investing in a show just to have it be too convoluted to follow, or the show just disappears. I can't even remember some of the shows that I've tried. I tried V, The Event, Alcatraz, etc. The one that I can't recall was the show where the entire world blacked out for a short period of time? What was that show? I just lost track of it!
Fast Forward?
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #45
tabby1881
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephany View Post
Fast Forward?

I think that was it Thanks!
tabby1881 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: