Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #211
TrustMeMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaverTex
It's really ALL about the militias. They may have started at least partially to maintain order, but that changed almost immediately I'd suspect. The militia commanders are the heads of government -- effectively, feudal lords or even the more primitive "strong men" -- and they maintain their status only by maintaining the status quo. Any technical progress that makes life easier will give the new peasants too much time to think, and all technical progress that's not totally under the thumb of the militias is intolerable. And since it's likely that the whole world has reverted to the strong-man form of government, there is no outside force that could spark anything resembling the 14th Century Renaissance.

Once you accept the premise of the militias, a lot of the oddities fall into place. Horses give mobility and power, both of which would be dangerous to the militia-centered governments. Therefore, nobody except the militias is permitted to own a horse. It's already obvious that the militias have an absolute monopoly on firearms, even the blackpowder muzzle loaders that most of the militia carry. Owning a firearm carries the death penalty, you'll recall. The militias have taken any means of effective resistance away from the populace, and constantly remind them that it's for their own good. (Which may have been true in the beginning, but it's just an excuse now.)

If there are any steam-powered cars or other vehicles, they are 100% controlled by the militias. The same would go for diesel-powered vehicles, only even more so, since aircraft can (and have) been built using diesel engines. If a militia commander wasn't certain that he (or she) could maintain total control over this technology, he would have no hesitation to destroy it so that nobody else could use it.

Which also explains why there aren't any large ships. A ship is a self-contained little world. A mutiny would put a powerful tool into the hands of "the wrong people", meaning people who weren't totally loyal to their militia. Far better to destroy the ships, than to take that chance.
This.

It is so similar to the aptly named Dark Ages in world history.

That, I think is the whole point here - the cautionary tale. Not really the absence of technology. That was just the catalyst. The real point is the inherent nature of humans, and the fact that if we don't learn from history, we will repeat it. Regardless of how "advanced" we think we are.
TrustMeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #212
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

I really wish that I would have started watching this from the beginning. I'm hoping the release the series on DVD. Does anyone know if the episodes are online? I haven't looked yet. Thanks!
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #213
Mel522
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva Mouse View Post
I really wish that I would have started watching this from the beginning. I'm hoping the release the series on DVD. Does anyone know if the episodes are online? I haven't looked yet. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel522 View Post
You can watch past episodes online at http://www.nbc.com/revolution/
They don't have the pilot though.

I think Hulu plus has all the episodes. They have a 1 week free trial if you don't have it.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #214
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p

Quote:
They don't have the pilot though.

I think Hulu plus has all the episodes. They have a 1 week free trial if you don't have it.
It does, as I thankfully found out. Got power back Saturday and am catching up on last week's shows. Interestingly enough, although it says one week free trial, the confirmation email I received from Hulu says I have until Dec. 6 to cancel, which gives me a month.

gometros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #215
smidgy
dimples

you can all stop watching it. because I am watching and like it, so that is always a death knell for a show!! If I like it , it's gone!!!... I think they said 3 more episodes this season. i liked FLASH Forward (not FAST Forward) it's gone.. terra nova, V, you name it. (I think I was the ONLY person in the USA whoe watched Cop Rock back in the 80s,,, a cop show that had soning and dancing interjected,,ok, that one WAS bad!)

so the mom is revolution... wasn't she the mom is falsh forward? or terra nova? or both?

I , too, have to shut my mind off qwhen watching, though.. esp about the ships.. come on, people crossed the ocean long before electricity.

but , to me, it's fun... mind candy.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #216
Mel522
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
you can all stop watching it. because I am watching and like it, so that is always a death knell for a show!! If I like it , it's gone!!!... I think they said 3 more episodes this season. i liked FLASH Forward (not FAST Forward) it's gone.. terra nova, V, you name it. (I think I was the ONLY person in the USA whoe watched Cop Rock back in the 80s,,, a cop show that had soning and dancing interjected,,ok, that one WAS bad!)

so the mom is revolution... wasn't she the mom is falsh forward? or terra nova? or both?

I , too, have to shut my mind off qwhen watching, though.. esp about the ships.. come on, people crossed the ocean long before electricity.

The mom in revolution was in Lost and V, but not Flash Forward or Terra Nova.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #217
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post

Me too. I watch and it gets cancelled. I watched both FLASH Forward and terra nova.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #218
gometros
WDWWDS Chief Weapons Inspector and Cruise Captain
Solemnly swears always to leave the tagging to the experts!! :p

Quote:
The mom in revolution was in Lost and V, but not Flash Forward or Terra Nova.
The Lost in connection with Flash Forward is Sonya Walger.

gometros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #219
smidgy
dimples

oh yeah! she was the mom in V! thanks!
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:28 AM   #220
traces7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva Mouse View Post
Our cable provider (Charter) has all the episodes on demand. So last weekend my DD watched all the episodes right in a row. I hadn't seen the show, but had heard that it was good.
traces7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #221
BDL
DIS Veteran

I have to say, this week's ep is probably the best so far. It was actually a great episode. The flashbacks and the way they expanded the characters, made me feel sad when they showed the preview for the next ep, cuz that's the last ep for a while.

BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #222
nebo
sharkbait
Uh oh, this conversation isn't going as planned
All of you are welcome to come along

wow! that mom sure is a tough cookie! I wasn't expecting that! (don't want to spoil for anyone else who hasn't watched yet)
nebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #223
sandramaac
Needs to look harder...
wonder what the punishment would be for excessive burping

No comments on the finale. Anyone know when the new season airs--seems as if they already have some of it shot??
sandramaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #224
traces7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandramaac View Post
No comments on the finale. Anyone know when the new season airs--seems as if they already have some of it shot??
I read somewhere that it will be coming back in March. (whenever the Voice comes on again, it will be on in the time slot after the Voice again). We really like the show at our house.
traces7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #225
BriarfoxinWA
DIS Veteran

I read that they are doing a full 1st season but it sounds like the number of viewers is dropping off. I think the basic story could be great but I'm just not "hooked"...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: